Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 28th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 403Posts
    • 200Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    Customers will be able to cap their monthly mobile phone bill to prevent "bill shock"
    • 28th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    Customers will be able to cap their monthly mobile phone bill to prevent "bill shock" 28th Apr 17 at 4:16 PM
    Customers will be able to cap their monthly mobile phone bill to prevent "bill shock"...
    Read the full story:
    'Customers will able to cap monthly bills'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 28th Apr 17, 5:00 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 28th Apr 17, 5:00 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 5:00 PM
    Not a lot in that article really. More a sound bite

Never having had a capped phone package what happens when you hit the limit? Does your phone stop working for calls, text and network day?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 28th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 28th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    Tesco Mobile offers that already and suggests to new customers to avail of it
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 28th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    Not a lot in that article really. More a sound bite

Never having had a capped phone package what happens when you hit the limit? Does your phone stop working for calls, text and network day?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    If you exceed your data allowance for instance it will first use your credit up to the cap and only then stop any data access until your next billing date, you'll still have phone and text access.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 28th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 28th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    On Three, they have an "all or nothing" overspend switch in their My3 app.
    If it's turned on and you try to make a chargeable call outside your bundle (an overseas number, for example), it comes back as number unobtainable as I recall. Every month you also receive strange text messages stating you are near your limit.

It's well overdue that mobile networks were held to account over allowing excessive charges to be added to bills. They are going to have a few headaches over this and the scrapping of EU roaming charges in mid June!
    • d123
    • By d123 28th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    d123
    • 28th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    If you exceed your data allowance for instance it will first use your credit up to the cap and only then stop any data access until your next billing date, you'll still have phone and text access.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    If you've reached your allowance limits I doubt the BiB is true.
    ====
    • _shel
    • By _shel 29th Apr 17, 6:00 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    _shel
    • 29th Apr 17, 6:00 AM
    • 29th Apr 17, 6:00 AM
    BT already do this. I've just switched to them and found I have a £40 spend limit on my mobile which I'm happy with. Don't want any nasty surprises.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    • 10,134 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 29th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    • 29th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    If it's a hard cap that forbids further use once that limit has been reached I predict lots of complaints on here that mobile networks have left customers stranded in emergencies unable to make calls because of the cap.
    I worked for a network with such a cap and regularly took calls from unhappy customers who has set a cap for a teenager and were then unhappy that said teenager were unable to call Mum/Dad. Obviously they blamed the network.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 29th Apr 17, 7:49 AM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 29th Apr 17, 7:49 AM
    • 29th Apr 17, 7:49 AM
    If it's a hard cap that forbids further use once that limit has been reached I predict lots of complaints on here that mobile networks have left customers stranded in emergencies unable to make calls because of the cap
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Those with common sense will get contracts with more than enough minutes to cover their needs, the cap will stop too much bill shock from accidental calls to overseas and premium rate numbers.

The networks will hate it, as they get extra revenue from ripping off customers who spend outside their allowance. Typically charging 35 to 55p per minute on ordinary calls that cost 3 to 5p per min on their PAYG.

One network told me they couldn't cap calls made while roaming as the call charge was delayed when the caller was overseas... I said in that case I'd use their PAYG for free calls while roaming.

Having a £5 or £10 cap set by the user sounds ideal.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you've reached your allowance limits I doubt the BiB is true.
    Originally posted by d123
    I'm on Plusnet and having just checked their T&C's am afraid you may be correct, I've asked on their forum and am just waiting for a reply.

Edit: nope, I was correct originally. With Plusnet at least, if you go over your data allowance for instance it will initially charge you up to your smart cap (at ruinous rates) and then turn off data unless you get a bolt on or your billing date rolls around. Your minutes and texts aren't affected (unless you hit their limits too).
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 29-04-2017 at 2:02 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    BT already do this. I've just switched to them and found I have a £40 spend limit on my mobile which I'm happy with. Don't want any nasty surprises.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Sorry but I had to laugh at that as I for one would find the potentially £40 extra cost a bit of a nasty surprise.

I've set my Plusnet at the minimum £2, if they'd allow it I'd set it to zero.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 3rd May 17, 7:26 AM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 20,636 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Sounds sensible if you have set a sensible limit.
    Although all phones have data counters in them now so you can set it to turn off data when you get close to your limit anyway. Why do people not set this up? Its there so use it!
    ďTime is intended to be spent, not savedĒ - Alfred Wainwright
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 3rd May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Sounds sensible if you have set a sensible limit.
    Although all phones have data counters in them now so you can set it to turn off data when you get close to your limit anyway. Why do people not set this up? Its there so use it!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    It's not just data, click on a link and accidentally dial a chargeable number and it can be costly. A friend thought they dialled an overseas number on Skype for a 1.6p/min call, it went through the mobile network by accident and cost £45. That's worth a cap.

I would prefer to switch to EE from Three, but until they introduce a spending cap I won't.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 4th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    zagfles
    It's not just data, click on a link and accidentally dial a chargeable number and it can be costly. A friend thought they dialled an overseas number on Skype for a 1.6p/min call, it went through the mobile network by accident and cost £45. That's worth a cap.

I would prefer to switch to EE from Three, but until they introduce a spending cap I won't.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Yes, there are so many ways to run up an enormous bill, like when phones get stolen by professional thieves who can run up thousands of pounds of premium rate calls in a few hours, or when roaming with ridiculous data charges of hundreds of times the cost of data at home or the cost locals pay.

It's so unlike any virtually any other form of spending, where getting "ripped off" might mean paying 50% over or maybe double the expected price. Not hundreds or even thousands of the expected price as is often the case with mobile contracts.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 4th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    zagfles
    If it's a hard cap that forbids further use once that limit has been reached I predict lots of complaints on here that mobile networks have left customers stranded in emergencies unable to make calls because of the cap.
    I worked for a network with such a cap and regularly took calls from unhappy customers who has set a cap for a teenager and were then unhappy that said teenager were unable to call Mum/Dad. Obviously they blamed the network.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    What, they took out a capped contract and then complained the cap was applied Haven't they heard of reverse charge services people can use in an "emergency"? They aren't cheap, but what's a few quid in the event of an "emergency"?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 4th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Yes, there are so many ways to run up an enormous bill, like when phones get stolen by professional thieves who can run up thousands of pounds of premium rate calls in a few hours, or when roaming with ridiculous data charges of hundreds of times the cost of data at home or the cost locals pay.

It's so unlike any virtually any other form of spending, where getting "ripped off" might mean paying 50% over or maybe double the expected price. Not hundreds or even thousands of the expected price as is often the case with mobile contracts.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    The only person who "ripped off" anyone in that situation is the account holder, who couldn't be bothered to put a sim lock and phone lock on. After all, it takes less than a minute...
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 4th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    zagfles
    The only person who "ripped off" anyone in that situation is the account holder, who couldn't be bothered to put a sim lock and phone lock on. After all, it takes less than a minute...
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Some people just aren't aware - and the networks don't encourage it - the last contract SIM I got was sent without the PIN lock enabled! Imagine if banks did this with credit/debit cards!

Some people think a phone lock is sufficient without thinking about the SIM. Yes you can sneer at them and call them stupid, but SIMs should certainly come with PINs enabled by default. Some do now I believe.

Besides getting the phone stolen isn't the only issue. It's charges of hundreds of times the expected/normal cost as above eg when roaming, using NGN's etc.

Hopefully once caps become compulsory for networks to offer - it will also be compulsory to ask the customer if they want a cap and if so how much. Or set a default perhaps at quite a high level eg a hundred or so. No normal user should ever get near it, and if they're not a normal user they can ask for an increase.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 4th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Then people are asking for it and the rest of us shouldn't have to subsidise their negligence. You also plainly don't understand how they work - and it's not rocket science; ALL network sims come UNlocked. If they came LOCKED and people are that thick they'd be a mass of them complaining because they couldn't use their phones. Da!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 4th May 17, 4:26 PM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    zagfles
    Then people are asking for it and the rest of us shouldn't have to subsidise their negligence. You also plainly don't understand how they work - and it's not rocket science; ALL network sims come UNlocked. If they came LOCKED and people are that thick they'd be a mass of them complaining because they couldn't use their phones. Da!
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Do they have the same problem with their bank cards? Maybe banks should issue credit cards with no PIN, eh? Reckon that's a good idea? You could probably run up as big a bill on a stolen SIM as on a stolen credit card.

What cost would need "subsidising" if networks issued SIMs with a PIN set by default? Any trivial cost would likely be outweighed by savings when SIMs get lost in the post etc.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 5th May 17, 6:51 AM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    1) Bank cards have an expiry date with replacement cards having the same pin. 2) Customers can't use their card until the pin arrives. 3) It must cost a lot more to administer such a system and customers would have to pay for that. 4) Card customers have to go to a cash machine in order to set their own pin - sim card locks can be set immediately in seconds. 5) Sims do have a set default number - but they are the same for all customers. Card numbers require a system of different numbers for different customers controlled centrally and not by the phone.

As for the second paragraph, if people are too lazy or careless to set BOTH pins you would have the rest of us pay for that when the scenario you painted happens. Of course, they would also have to compound their negligence by losing their phone in the first place. All of which is off topic anyway.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 05-05-2017 at 8:04 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,991Posts Today

5,020Users online

Martin's Twitter