Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 24th Feb 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,687Posts
    • 2,077Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Royal Mail Prices Changes 2017
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:02 AM
    Royal Mail Prices Changes 2017 24th Feb 17 at 9:02 AM
    Royal Mail Prices Changes 2017 are starting to be announced. You can find the details for business and franking customers here:

http://www.royalmail.com/prices2017

A franked second class letter is going up by just a penny. A second class parcel is going from £2.57 to £2.62. Airmail is rising more sharply due to "an increase in overseas delivery costs."

I expect the price of stamps will follow shortly.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 24th Feb 17, 9:57 AM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    martindow
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:57 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:57 AM
    Airmail is rising more sharply due to "an increase in overseas delivery costs."
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Presumably an element of international postage is priced in Euros or US Dollars, so this would increase prices even without a planned price rise.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th Feb 17, 1:42 PM
    • 62,053 Posts
    • 44,495 Thanks
    soolin
    • 24th Feb 17, 1:42 PM
    • 24th Feb 17, 1:42 PM
    5p on a business parcel isn't too bad, it still keeps it cheaper than MyHErmes.

I'll keep an eye on the overseas costs as I do occasionally seem to hit weeks where all my stuff goes abroad.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 24th Feb 17, 2:45 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MSE Faye
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:45 PM
    Price of stamps to rise next month - buy now to beat the hike
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:45 PM
    First and second-class stamps for standard letters will each rise by 1p next month...
    Read the full story:
    'Price of stamps to rise next month - buy now to beat the hike'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 24th Feb 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4,579 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 24th Feb 17, 3:16 PM
    • 24th Feb 17, 3:16 PM
    The cost of a first-class stamp for large letters (weighing up to 750g and meeting other size rules) will rise by 2p to 98p, while a second-class large letter stamp will increase by 1p to 76p.

I think the above needs correcting. 98p will only be up to 100g
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 25th Feb 17, 6:50 AM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 14,808 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 25th Feb 17, 6:50 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 6:50 AM
    Really gets my goat when people moan saying our stamps are expensive. A lot of the European countries, it costs them a Euro to post and some don't have a 2nd class post or similar.

Other countries stamps may be cheaper than ours, but based on GDP/capita, they are more expensive for them.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 25th Feb 17, 7:18 AM
    • 27,018 Posts
    • 37,291 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:18 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:18 AM
    Really gets my goat when people moan saying our stamps are expensive. A lot of the European countries, it costs them a Euro to post and some don't have a 2nd class post or similar.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Probably because 1 euro sounds a lot cheaper than 65 pence.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 25th Feb 17, 1:28 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 25th Feb 17, 1:28 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 1:28 PM
    As far as ordinary letters are concerned, for many people, these prices will be meaningless because seemingly so few people now are actually sending ordinary letters anyway. Christmas time, yes, granted, getting expensive for those that still see the nicety of sending a card, something I personally stopped doing years ago because I'm a genuine moneysaving tight wad!

Personally, I know I didn't send a single letter or card by Royal Mail the whole of last year, every single piece of correspondence was done by email, including job applications. Agreed, I'm still paying for my mail correspondence via broadband charges, but as we know, email is virtually instantaneous and as long as cyber security is observed, somewhat more safer and secure.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 26th Feb 17, 7:41 AM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 26th Feb 17, 7:41 AM
    • 26th Feb 17, 7:41 AM
    It's incredible value for one-off senders. When you think of all the logistics involved in sending vans to letter boxes, reading scruffily written addresses, sorting, transportation, and getting postie to go up to someone's front door - quite often the next day.

(Many) people think nothing of spending two or three times that on a coffee at a coffee shop.
    • mspritch
    • By mspritch 26th Feb 17, 12:11 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    mspritch
    NVI-to-2017 price matrix
    For those using NVI stamps to make up larger postage values, here's the cheapest way to do it if you bought them back in 2012.
    The simple rule: if you think you need 4 first class stamps, make the jump to 5 second class. You'll save 4p worth of stamps (at 2012 prices at least) and increase the postage value by 20p to boot.

• WLM21
    • By WLM21 27th Feb 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    WLM21
    I remember a few years ago, when I first started Ebay, there was going to be a major stamp price increase.

I bought about 300 '2nd class' stamps, as these were still valid even after the price increase. I would just put on as many as required to a parcel, then add the few pennies worth at the PO.

Not sure if there are still stamps marked first and second now, but buying several 54p stamps is hardly worth the while, although each will be worth 56p after the increase, almost 4% more.

First class will only be 1p more expensive, so that 64p will be worth 65p .. 1.5% more ... WOW !!!!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 27th Feb 17, 9:44 AM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    martindow

Not sure if there are still stamps marked first and second now, but buying several 54p stamps is hardly worth the while, although each will be worth 56p after the increase, almost 4% more.

First class will only be 1p more expensive, so that 64p will be worth 65p .. 1.5% more ... WOW !!!!
    Originally posted by WLM21
    2nd class is currently 55p and is rising to 56p.

It doesn't seem a great investment to buy lots of stamps to save a penny on each!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 27th Feb 17, 5:13 PM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 14,808 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    When my grandmother died in 2004, she left many books of stamps with one or two used as she lost them and either my mum or aunt bought her another book, lost that book and repeat.

My mum used the stamps with the monetary value on them first. If there were 30 stamps with the old 2nd class price from late 90s, she bought 30 stamps of the price difference between the two - usually under 7p. Then used the ones with 1st and 2nd on them. I think she finished using these stamps a few years ago!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,080Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin