Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 20th Feb 17, 4:10 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller - how to beat it
    • 20th Feb 17, 4:10 PM
    Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller - how to beat it 20th Feb 17 at 4:10 PM
    Packet sizes of some products are getting smaller while prices are staying the same or rising, Dispatches has found...
    Read the full story:
    'Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller - how to beat it and keep costs low'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 20th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 20th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    • 20th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    De ja vu.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37904703
    • colin79666
    • By colin79666 20th Feb 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    colin79666
    • 20th Feb 17, 7:35 PM
    • 20th Feb 17, 7:35 PM
    This isn't an entirely new thing. Years ago I was changing labels in a certain supermarket as packets of biscuits were shrinking.

I just find it dishonest. If manufacturers costs are going up then they should say so an put up the cost of the item or be up-front rather than being sneaky.

The other week I bough a Terry's chocolate orange and then found the segments weren't as solid as they once were. Now if they had shrunk the overall orange on the outside it wouldn't be so bad but to trim the thickness of the segment but keep the outer "peel" the same was just putting two fingers up the the customer. I won't be buying another!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 54,009 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 20th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    • 20th Feb 17, 9:14 PM
    I see arguments for an against putting up prices VS keeping prices the same and reducing pack size. In some cases, people just can't afford the extra ££ is the pack were the same size and the prcie were put up.
    Can't say I noticed any difference in the choc orange this year, though perhaps I bought an old stock one.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• robin58
    • By robin58 20th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 20th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    • 20th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    Which? organisation has been reporting about shrinkflation in their magazines for years, good to see that MSE and Channel 4 have finally caught up !!!
    Last edited by robin58; 20-02-2017 at 9:28 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Feb 17, 12:49 AM
    • 30,959 Posts
    • 64,757 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:49 AM
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:49 AM
    The shrinking food thread has been going since 2010.

Red, I dare you
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 21st Feb 17, 5:50 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:50 AM
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:50 AM
    The most recent topic http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4765235

I think MSE members have let the media down though
    Now a Channel 4 Dispatches investigation has identified a list of 14 products which have been shrunk since June
    If members had kept the topic up to date there could have been many more for their report.
    Last edited by VoucherMan; 21-02-2017 at 5:53 AM.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 21st Feb 17, 6:33 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 13,101 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 21st Feb 17, 6:33 AM
    • 21st Feb 17, 6:33 AM
    I think it is a bit of a sneaky way of the manufacturers dealing with products costing more to produce, but I think we have to accept that either stuff will shrink, or prices will go up.

Depends on the product to which I think is the best option.
    For things like chocolate of crisps I think shrinking is best. If you want a packet of crisps you willing generally eat one packet, whether it's 10g, 50g or 100g. You wouldn't eat 1 1/5 packets if your crisps had changed from 30g to 25g. Therefore on 'unhealthy' foods shrinking is probably best.

On foods where the amount is important, then I would prefer the price to go up. For example, a pack of sausages. An 8 pack is perfect for one meal for our family. I want 8 sausages of that size, 7 would make serving up a hassle, and wouldn't be enough.

Personally prefer shrinking or prices going up to companies changing products to make them cheaper to produce. Heinz baked beans have so much sauce these days, and it's such a runny sauce now too, that I no longer buy them, even if they are on a good offer.
    Zebras rock
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Feb 17, 6:51 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    boatman
    • 21st Feb 17, 6:51 AM
    • 21st Feb 17, 6:51 AM
    Just wait for uproar when a KitKat goes to three fingers ;-)
    • alinwales
    • By alinwales 21st Feb 17, 7:09 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    alinwales
    Problem we have is that some things are getting so small where one pack used to be enough for a family meal, but now it's a bit on the stingy side whereas two packs is too much.
    Baked beans is an example. Admittedly they haven't shrunk for a long time, but they used to be 440g, now they're around 410g. Can't do 4 beans on toasts with that! (not the amount i eat..)
    • minislim
    • By minislim 21st Feb 17, 8:08 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    minislim
    this sort of thing has been going on for years.

i recognise the brands and products that have been shrunk. so i just dont buy them anymore. unless its a real treat or they are on a really good offer.

but beware! even the offers sometimes aren't good value. Tesco's are good at that one.

notice which supermarkets dont appear to be listed??? Aldi & Lidl.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 21st Feb 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    20aday
    It's been going on for years-but like others have said I just stop buying them when they reach a certain point.

I can just about remember Cadbury Dairy Milk being £1.39 (price marked) and weighing in at 250g.

Now most shops charge £2.50 or higher for 200g and no doubt Mondelez International will shrink those bars when they change the wrappers to reflect Cocoa Life!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • usernameisvalid
    • By usernameisvalid 21st Feb 17, 8:25 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    usernameisvalid
    Another non story, it's been happening for years

Shrinkage for me isn't a huge problem as I buy very little in the way of processed food

The stuff I do buy it's easy to work out the real cost by price per kilo. Even when supermarkets ( ESP Tesco) like to try to confuse the issue by having grams pitched up beside kilos. My phone has a calculator if I'm not sure

Just seen the list, that's hardly every day shopping is it?

Plus one they missed is Coke and Pepsi. No longer 2 ltrs, haven't been for 18 months or more. Unless you buy it in lidl. For some unknown reason, their bottles have remained the same size Guess it's like toblerone, special small packs for the uk, old packs for the rest of the world.
    Last edited by usernameisvalid; 21-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 21st Feb 17, 9:10 AM
    • 19,058 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    This is a useful reminder that supermarkets and brand suppliers are a bunch of tricksters and are extremely keen to keep the money rolling in for overpriced products.
    Being grocery price savvy is one of the most important money saving things that can save a lot over a life time.
    Last edited by richardw; 21-02-2017 at 9:19 AM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 21st Feb 17, 10:07 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    spikyone
    As everyone has said, this is not new, and is certainly nothing to do with Brexit. But hey, why would the BBC and Ch4 miss an opportunity to blame a first-world problem on Brexit? It was only a few days ago that the Guardian were bleating about the possible re-introduction of mobile roaming charges. Apparently the Remain-supporting media are happy to accept that we can't make trade deals to suit our economy's best interests, as long as they can instantly post their ski trip photos to Facebook for free and buy a reasonably-sized jar of harissa paste...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Feb 17, 12:19 PM
    • 30,959 Posts
    • 64,757 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I did get a chance to catch up with this in the early hours....dairy aside, I am pleased to say that I'm largely unaffected by the changes thus far. Primarily because the focus was on items that I consider to be a luxury, or wouldn't buy anyway. Toblerone, Speckled Hen and Mr Kipling cakes are wants and not needs, and are particularly unsuitable for a family with four young children watching their pennies.

So a bit of a storm in a teacup thus far, although if it hits fruit and veg I will just have to cough up the extra.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Feb 17, 1:08 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    boatman
    I think its all a con as the euro exchange rate was around €1.20 in 2013- 2014 and things haven't changed that much.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 21st Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Noticed the Bulmers one before New Year, when I went to buy them on a 3 for £5 deal. The old size were behind them so I had those on the same offer.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 21st Feb 17, 7:22 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 18,399 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The best way to beat it is to not buy the new size, if this is done by everyone, the manufacturers might get the message.

Name, shame and refuse to buy.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 22nd Feb 17, 6:37 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    boatman
    Cadbury, now there's a company that have taken it to new heights. Buy a multipack where you can't see the size of the bar inside, when you open the packet the bars are two thirds the size of a single bar, just dishonest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

5,925Users online

Martin's Twitter