Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 14th Feb 17, 10:45 AM
    • 146Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Faye
    EE and O2 customers facing inflation-led price hikes
    • 14th Feb 17, 10:45 AM
    EE and O2 customers facing inflation-led price hikes 14th Feb 17 at 10:45 AM
    Some EE mobile customers will see their bills rise by 2.5% from 30 March, while O2 is set to increase prices by 2.6%...
    Read the full story:
    'EE and O2 customers facing inflation-led price hikes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Feb 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 14th Feb 17, 11:41 AM
    • 14th Feb 17, 11:41 AM
    Why is it news orthy that they are doing what they state in thief T&Cs?.

What's the next story? 'Sun predicted to rise tomorrow morning's ?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Feb 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    phillw
    • 14th Feb 17, 12:24 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 12:24 PM
    Why is it news orthy that they are doing what they state in thief T&Cs?.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Because most people don't read T&C. The news is the increase, the fact you're tied in just saves you sitting on hold to find out that it's cheaper to stay.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 14th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 14th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    Interesting that you can change broadband providers within contract if a price increase but cannot for mobiles? Why?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    Because you have agreed that they can raise the price by upto the RPI each year. So, any agreement for a penalty free termination would only ever be a goodwill gesture.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 14th Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    • 8,976 Posts
    • 25,696 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 14th Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    Just called EE and asked for a discount (have 2 phones on SIM only) and got a good deal, right for my circumstances that I'm happy with, that actually works out cheaper than now.

Surely that's common sense money saving advice, and should be that given if you can.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Feb 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    phillw
    • 14th Feb 17, 4:32 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 4:32 PM
    Interesting that you can change broadband providers within contract if a price increase but cannot for mobiles? Why?
    Originally posted by craigr98
    Personally I think most people are more willing to change mobile providers than broadband. So they need to force people to stay with mobile, but with broadband they stay anyway without any bad press.

But it also might have to do with the £600 contract phone they gave you when you signed up a couple of months ago, although O2 can have equipment separate from line rental anyway these days.
    Last edited by phillw; 14-02-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 15th Feb 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:22 AM
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:22 AM
    You'd be able to terminate your airtime agreement if the increase was above the published RPI figure i.e. if EE/o2 had increased it by 3%.

The article mentions Vodafone-according to their website RPI will take effect from April of each year based on the figure announced in March. Three will raise their tariffs in May based on January's figure (unless you're a SIMO customer) and Virgin Mobile will adjust theirs in July based on April's announcement.

AFAIK only BT/Tesco Mobile don't use RPI to increase their tariffs during the minimum term.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • PenguinKratos
    • By PenguinKratos 15th Feb 17, 1:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PenguinKratos
    • 15th Feb 17, 1:46 PM
    EE price plan to increase by 2.5%
    • 15th Feb 17, 1:46 PM
    I have just received a text from EE advising that as of 30th March 2017 my sim only price plan will increase by 2.5% due to RPI, as per my terms.

I took out my current SIM only deal over the phone around December last year. I have never signed a contract etc or agreed to such terms. (I am aware that a contract can legally be formed verbally).

Can they do this?

It frustrates me how EE or any phone company can alter terms of a contract to suit them but it doesn’t work the other way round…
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Feb 17, 2:30 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Can they do this?

>>Yes if its in the T&C see many similiar posts .>>

<< You said it yourself >> as per my terms. .

It frustrates me how EE or any phone company can alter terms of a contract to suit them but it doesn’t work the other way round…

<<You will find that they are not altering the terms of the contract as the contract had the option to increase prices as you have posted .>>
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 15th Feb 17, 3:15 PM
    • 8,976 Posts
    • 25,696 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    I have just received a text from EE advising that as of 30th March 2017 my sim only price plan will increase by 2.5% due to RPI, as per my terms.

I took out my current SIM only deal over the phone around December last year. I have never signed a contract etc or agreed to such terms. (I am aware that a contract can legally be formed verbally).

Can they do this?

Originally posted by PenguinKratos
    It'll be in the terms and they will have told you at the time. In the call yesterday I was explicitly warned that the costs would rise by RPI.

It's not EE's fault if you didn't listen to them.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th Feb 17, 10:36 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Ectophile
    How EE is hiking prices

Pay-as-you-go customers aren't affected by the price hike.
    That's because we're getting a different price hike instead. I just got a text from EE directing me to a web page with the price rises for their PAYG customers.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 16th Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    phillw

Can they do this?

Originally posted by PenguinKratos
    They are increasing the price because they think you agreed to the terms. So they aren't altering anything. They won't have listened to recordings of all calls as part of this process.

It's possible that they didn't tell you the terms, but it's possible they only told you that full terms and conditions are on the web site & you didn't read them in the 14 days cooling off period.

They've been doing this for several years, so it's weird you weren't aware. But you can try complaining.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 16th Feb 17, 11:05 AM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Sim only 30 days is the way to go. Need a handset? No problem. Just take out a 0% purchase card and buy the handset unlocked that way
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 18th Feb 17, 8:33 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    ryan121
    Every network does this so why is this a surprise to anyone? Three interestingly didn't put my contract up last year stating:

Time for some good news.
    Cast your mind back to when you took out your contract with us. You’ll remember that we’d have told you about annual
    inflation-related RPI changes which would increase the amount you pay us. At this point, we should be confirming how
    much your price is increasing by for the next year.

However, we have some news for you. We have decided not to apply a 1.3% RPI rate increase in May this year. So, for now,
    your bill won’t change however we’ll continue to review this.

If we need to apply any increases anytime in the future, we will of course write to explain everything with plenty of notice.
    Will find out in April if they do the same.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 18th Feb 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Every network does this so why is this a surprise to anyone? Three interestingly didn't put my contract up last year stating:
    Originally posted by ryan121
    Three have lost the competitive edge they had back in the "One Plan" days, even if they don't increase their SIM only prices annually.

If Vodafone had the coverage and data speed that Three have in my part of the country, their SIM only "Red" deals look good (on offer until 15th March). I was considering changing to them from Three, but coverage is lousy in a couple of our regular locations, so it's a non starter.
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 18th Feb 17, 9:24 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    ryan121
    Really? Three are cheaper for me than any other network. If you want unlimited internet you have to pay for it. The one plan was a silly price for what you got. There customer service is much better than Vodafone as well.

The fact is overall three really isn't that bad these days so they can charge more.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 19th Feb 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    As a regular roamer to Spain, Three's "Feel at Home" has been very useful. However, the SIM only plans from Three that include FAH are not so cheap and their roaming isn't as good in Spain as Vodafone... on Voda you can call local Spanish mobiles and landlines from your bundled minutes, as well as call home.

In addition data while EU roaming on Voda is 4G and not as throttled as Three (Three's data rate in some Spanish towns is so slow as to not be good enough to even load the BBC news headlines at times).

I appreciate roaming isn't high on everyone's list, but it to me and the SIM deals from Three with FAH are quite costly. Come June 15th, when the EU free roaming ruling applies to all networks, it will be interesting to see how much many of them jack up their prices to cover it!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 19th Feb 17, 11:13 AM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    boatman
    I wonder why the RPI increase is in most mobile contracts but not landline/broadband contracts?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 19th Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    I wonder why the RPI increase is in most mobile contracts but not landline/broadband contracts?
    Originally posted by boatman
    From the BT website:

ΔWe may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

So whilst they don't use RPI (even though a lot of the telcos seem to be hiking their prices every six months or so) at least you can exit landline/broadband contracts if the change(s) are detrimental.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,316Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin