Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 31st Dec 16, 6:20 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 2,288Thanks
    bingbon
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries January 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 6:20 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries January 2017 31st Dec 16 at 6:20 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to little old me for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
Page 26
    • Gemzie121
    • By Gemzie121 28th Jan 17, 4:56 AM
    • 667 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Gemzie121
    I have UUs to report

Lush creamy candy bubble bar- WBA HG a nice simple one and a scent i really love. My favourite bubble bar. Makes lovely soft bubbles.

Lush original mmelting marshmallow moment bath bomb- WBA but these are now discontinued sadly. One of my favourite scents and makes the water a pale pink colour.

Lush mmelting marshmallow moment bath oil- WBA this didnt do anything particularly special and i actually think i prefer bomb cosmetics bath creamers if i need a really moisturising bath but the water did feel a little more moisturising. I wish they would bring back the bath bomb format of this one but ill re purchase for the scent.

Lidl cien gloss conditioner- WBA i think this was supposed to be similiar to loreal elvive, certainly in terms of packaging it was! This did a good job for the price and i was happy with it.

Lush hot toddy shower gel 100g- WBA and already have more stashed. I like the scent of this, nice and warming in winter. Decent consistency and lathers up really well.

OPI avojuice apple pie spice hand and body lotion 30ml- WBA i like these, the packaging is pretty and they are easy to take around with you. I liked this scent and it did the job really well. Im nearly through my pack of these and will likely get more in future.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Jan 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,943 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One sample UU:

Paula's Choice Calm Redness Relief Repairing Serum sample Hm.. I'm a bit undecided on this. It did help soothe my face, but it smells horrible :/
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 28th Jan 17, 12:36 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    bingbon
    One more UU:
    21. Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara WMBA but it's not the easiest brush design.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    • VALM
    • By VALM 28th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 41,864 Thanks
    VALM
    Have just ordered my replacement Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom cleanser.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Jan 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,943 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One more UU and it's something off my PP list:

Superdrug Strawberry & Raspberry Hand Gel - WNBA. Blegh. I'm glad this is finished.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Jan 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,943 Thanks
    sstevo19

My PP list:
    1. Bioderma Sensibio Light
    2. Superdrug Strawberry & Raspberry hand gel
    3. Carex Sensitive hand gel
    4. Lush Silky Underwear dusting powder
    5. Superdrug Lime & Ginger shower gel
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    My updated PP list
    • Gemzie121
    • By Gemzie121 29th Jan 17, 3:06 AM
    • 667 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Gemzie121
    A little UU to report:

Lush turkish delight roulade sample- WMBA at full size. I was expecting this to smell the same as the potted turkish delight but it smelled different to me. Smelled almost chocolatey to my nose, like chocolate and rose whereas the potted version is more soapy rose. I did like this and may buy a piece in future as it lathered up well and was a lot easier to use than dreamwash. Im however interested to see what the blueberry roulade is like.

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 45,343 Thanks
    dolly84
    Thanks for the new thread bingbon. Happy New Year to everyone.

My PP list for January

1. Biore Charcoal Cleanser
    2. Aromatherapy Associates Relax Shower Gel
    3. Boots Brazil Nut Body Butter
    4. Una Brennan Cleansing Oil
    5. Philosophy Pumpkin Icing Shower Gel
    6. Avon Vanilla & Dark Orchid Bubble Bath
    7. Elemis Exotic EDP
    8. Body Shop Sweet Lemon Lip Butter
    9. Vaseline Aloe Body Lotion
    10. S&G Heel Genius
    Originally posted by dolly84
    My updated PP list.

I may finish the cleansing oil and that will be it.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 29th Jan 17, 12:44 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    So I have a few naughty ins.

All I needed was another concealer and I bought 2, then a lipstick, a mascara and 2 nail polishes
    • VALM
    • By VALM 29th Jan 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 41,864 Thanks
    VALM

All I needed was another concealer and I bought 2, then a lipstick, a mascara and 2 nail polishes
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Like your style lol.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 29th Jan 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 41,864 Thanks
    VALM
    Final UUs (I think)
    31 Laura Mercier Sweet Almond Milk Lotiin I'm seriously thinking of treating myself to one of the 200ml (this one was the smaller size sold in gift sets) when I visit the US. Smelt as lovely after a day at work as when first applied. Only have one left : Pistachio fragrance.

Yay reached my pledged amount for the month. In the words of Jimmy Cricket though "there's more":-

32 L'Or!al Excellence hair colour in 5.6 Auburn WDNBA as these only last 3 weeks. Have kept the top of the box though to colour match another rand.

33 Balance Me Instant Pore Minimiser Primer came in my advent calendar. Didn't like funny Yardley Lily of the Valley fragrance. My make up lasts longer when using Spackle. Kept this for the weekends.

I've repotted the very last of my cleanser which will be UUed before Wednesday I think.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 29th Jan 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 8,842 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    31 Laura Mercier Sweet Almond Milk Lotiin I'm seriously thinking of treating myself to one of the 200ml (this one was the smaller size sold in gift sets) when I visit the US. Smelt as lovely after a day at work as when first applied. Only have one left : Pistachio fragrance.

Yay reached my pledged amount for the month. In the words of Jimmy Cricket though "there's more":-

32 L'Or!al Excellence hair colour in 5.6 Auburn WDNBA as these only last 3 weeks. Have kept the top of the box though to colour match another rand.

33 Balance Me Instant Pore Minimiser Primer came in my advent calendar. Didn't like funny Yardley Lily of the Valley fragrance. My make up lasts longer when using Spackle. Kept this for the weekends.

I've repotted the very last of my cleanser which will be UUed before Wednesday I think.
    Originally posted by VALM
    The pistachio is gorgeous too, love the Laura Mercier body stuff
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2019 104/146 UU, 61 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2019 No.64 £528.74/£1000
    Saving for Christmas 2019 No.13 £365/£365
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2019 No.12 £107.05/£150
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 29th Jan 17, 4:07 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    bingbon

Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Can I join you on the naughty step?!
    I ordered two Zoeva Eyeshadow Palettes and they arrived yesterday. I don't even feel bad about it, though, they're so pretty! I got En Taupe and Naturally Yours.
    I did GA two palettes though so my numbers haven't changed and I paid with money from my UU pot from last year so they were "money-neutral" too! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    So they're in and a Sleek and Makeup Revolution palette are out!
    Well done on reaching your target Valm!
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 29th Jan 17, 4:23 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    bingbon
    I know it's a little bit early but I was thinking about doing my first PP in February so I made a new thread for February while I was here!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72010416
    • abbe89
    • By abbe89 29th Jan 17, 9:11 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    abbe89
    2 INs for me

Aldi Lacura serum and face mask. They were reduced so I thought I'd give them ago!

They also had a day and night cream, I've heard mixed reviews. Has anyone here used them?
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 29th Jan 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,943 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from tonight:

Lush Rose Bombshell WDBA - I loved this bath bomb. Rose Jam is one of my favourite scents.

I should have one UU tomorrow or the day after, but I think that will be all I'll get finished for this month.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 29th Jan 17, 10:10 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    went into superdrug and bought a garnier mask- it is on the face but not sure i like it. however, the answer is in the results. i feel like it is a wet bit kitchen paper hanging on my face with it feeling very ick. At least it was on offer asther is no way i would pay full price. So after 15 minutes it left my skin sticky and i had to wash it off. it felt terrible and clammy feeling. WNBA

I got 2 packs of the lip balm and scrub on off, it is really good, no liquid paraffin.

I went to the Polish shop to buy food and l look at the cosmetics as i know some of them are brilliant quality. I got a serum and the ingredients are really high percentages of the good stuff. I was given samples of different products from a polish company and was really impressed with the quality and the cost is low. I think they might be the next trend.

I finished the trilogy cleanser, WNBA it did not clean the face, it left a lot of residual make up and seemed to be affected by age as the product is natural, i thought it was not very stable and effective as time went on.
    Last edited by savingfortomorrow; 29-01-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: to give more info on face mask result
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 29th Jan 17, 10:38 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 8,842 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    went into superdrug and bought a garnier mask- it is on the face but not sure i like it. however, the answer is in the results. i feel like it is a wet bit kitchen paper hanging on my face with it feeling very ick. At least it was on offer asther is no way i would pay full price.

I got 2 packs of the lip balm and scrub on off, it is really good, no liquid paraffin.

I went to the Polish shop to buy food and l look at the cosmetics as i know some of them are brilliant quality. I got a serum and the ingredients are really high percentages of the good stuff. I was given samples of different products from a polish company and was really impressed with the quality and the cost is low. I think they might be the next trend.

I finished the trilogy cleanser, WNBA it did not clean the face, it left a lot of residual make up and seemed to be affected by age as the product is natural, i thought it was not very stable and effective as time went on.
    Originally posted by savingfortomorrow
    This is the thing that puts me off trilogy - I'm sure the products really degrade once they are open. I do love the smell etc but don't like things 'going off'!
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2019 104/146 UU, 61 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2019 No.64 £528.74/£1000
    Saving for Christmas 2019 No.13 £365/£365
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2019 No.12 £107.05/£150
    • Gemzie121
    • By Gemzie121 30th Jan 17, 4:09 AM
    • 667 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Gemzie121
    Another UU to report:

Lush R&B hair moisturiser 100g- WBA HG product. I love this so much and i use it every day. Makes my hair so soft and easier to manage. I love the smell too. I apply a little to the ends and lengths of my hair when ive towel dried it, before blow drying. I have another of these already to replace this.

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 30th Jan 17, 8:59 AM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 36,674 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Last UU for January
    120ml Hand/body lotion (decanted forget which one) 8/8

3 items that I might UU are still going strong, will take about a week I think. Need to go and put new list together.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,523Posts Today

7,885Users online

Martin's Twitter