Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 23rd Nov 16, 12:18 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 23rd Nov 16, 12:18 PM
    • 23rd Nov 16, 12:18 PM
    Obviously agree in principle - as grants should never have been abolished imo.

But I'm not sure this has been thought through properly - as there are a lot more people going to university these days than those who would have typically gone a generation ago.

The Welsh Assembly is already funding free prescriptions for everyone and extra costs of printing everything in a second language (ie Welsh) - ie extra bills to those covered by the Government for the country as a whole. If this third extra cost is added in - then I'm not sure whether there will be sufficient money there to fund such a commitment.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 23rd Nov 16, 12:20 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    VT82
    • 23rd Nov 16, 12:20 PM
    • 23rd Nov 16, 12:20 PM
    The top rate grant and loan support will be 8,100 for a student living away from home outside London and 10,125 for those in the capital.

Meanwhile, those from a household earning above 59,200 will only receive the universal 1,000/year maintenance grant.
    Originally posted by MSE Callum
    Someone earning 59k takes home less than 42k (if they're lucky), but might be expected to make up the shortfall of up to 9k in lost grant/loan out of this?!

Am I missing something? Because that seems barmy, especially under the magnifying glass of the current Martin Lewis crusade about making parental contributions to university grants/loans more transparent!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,225Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter