Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 9th Nov 16, 2:29 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Luke
    How to check if your new fiverís worth £100s
    • 9th Nov 16, 2:29 PM
    How to check if your new fiverís worth £100s 9th Nov 16 at 2:29 PM
    'Do you have a new plastic fiver stashed in your wallet...?'

Page 1
    • richarddowns
    • By richarddowns 11th Nov 16, 10:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richarddowns
    • 11th Nov 16, 10:18 AM
    • 11th Nov 16, 10:18 AM
    Sold mine on ebay for £118 serial number AC40 555555
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 11th Nov 16, 2:12 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    ukmike
    • 11th Nov 16, 2:12 PM
    • 11th Nov 16, 2:12 PM
    Sold mine on ebay for £118 serial number AC40 555555
    care to put a link up for the Ebay sale?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 13,402 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 11th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    care to put a link up for the Ebay sale?
    Originally posted by ukmike
    If you used the advanced search you can search the ended listings to see what has sold and at what price.

I did add a link but it isn't working. Search on the serial number as the title/description and tick completed listings.

Try this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-FIVE-POUND-NOTE-POLYMER-PLASTIC-RARE-UNIQUE-SERIAL-NUMBER-555555-/291925793416?hash=item43f8221a88:g:YjwAAOSwA3dYE4G E
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 11-11-2016 at 2:39 PM. Reason: Cannot get link to work.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 12th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    ukmike
    • 12th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    • 12th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    Still cant think what's so special about that number?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Nov 16, 7:27 AM
    • 13,402 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Nov 16, 7:27 AM
    • 13th Nov 16, 7:27 AM
    Still cant think what's so special about that number?
    Originally posted by ukmike
    Me neither, but I'm guessing it's the 5's, it being a fiver and all that.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 14th Nov 16, 8:45 AM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:45 AM
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:45 AM
    "RARE UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER"

Aren't they always unique?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • Jamiesmum
    • By Jamiesmum 14th Nov 16, 8:54 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Jamiesmum
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:54 AM
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:54 AM
    "RARE UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER"

Aren't they always unique?
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave
    No I took £30 from a cash point and got 6 fivers They all had the same number.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Nov 16, 8:59 AM
    • 62,148 Posts
    • 44,619 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:59 AM
    • 14th Nov 16, 8:59 AM
    No I took £30 from a cash point and got 6 fivers They all had the same number.
    Originally posted by Jamiesmum
    Then you need to go back to the bank immediately and not spend them as they are fake. Bank notes have different numbers, that's the point, the prefix may be the same (which is why if you get brand new notes from an ATM they will usually all start with the same number and then run in sequence).

If the notes all have identical numbers then they have been produced by a forger from a single plate.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Jamiesmum
    • By Jamiesmum 14th Nov 16, 9:21 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Jamiesmum
    Then you need to go back to the bank immediately and not spend them as they are fake. Bank notes have different numbers, that's the point, the prefix may be the same (which is why if you get brand new notes from an ATM they will usually all start with the same number and then run in sequence).

If the notes all have identical numbers then they have been produced by a forger from a single plate.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Seriously? I got them from a Tesco cash point. I'm gonna go take another look at them.

Doh! Just checked and you're right. To be fair I didn't pay to much attention. The very last number is different on each, 2 3 4 5 6 7. That's embarrassing!
    Last edited by Jamiesmum; 14-11-2016 at 9:24 AM.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 14th Nov 16, 9:45 AM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    Seriously? I got them from a Tesco cash point. I'm gonna go take another look at them.

Doh! Just checked and you're right. To be fair I didn't pay to much attention. The very last number is different on each, 2 3 4 5 6 7. That's embarrassing!
    Originally posted by Jamiesmum
    6 rare unique ones!

At least £600 on ebay for that lot.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • Jamiesmum
    • By Jamiesmum 14th Nov 16, 9:52 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Jamiesmum
    6 rare unique ones!

At least £600 on ebay for that lot.
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave
    We can look forward to this when the 10s and 20s come out too, I guess.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Nov 16, 9:57 AM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    "serial", if I'm not mistaken means one after the other.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Nov 16, 1:04 PM
    • 62,148 Posts
    • 44,619 Thanks
    soolin
    "serial", if I'm not mistaken means one after the other.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Yes it is, but in this context it also means the'serial' number on a single note.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,188Posts Today

6,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin