Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • kingrulzuk
    • By kingrulzuk 7th Nov 16, 9:56 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    kingrulzuk
    • 7th Nov 16, 9:56 AM
    • 7th Nov 16, 9:56 AM
    Thousands of Tesco Bank current accounts were compromised by fraudsters over the weekend...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco Bank vows to refund customers affected by hack - check NOW if your current account's been compromised'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Originally posted by MSE Callum

I have just checked my and my father accounts and both are fine, no money is missing.
    Thank god for that
    What happens if you push this button?
    • VT82
    • By VT82 7th Nov 16, 10:14 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    VT82
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:14 AM
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:14 AM
    Nothing taken from either of my two current accounts. Why they felt the need to text me with their public statement and wake me up at 5:55 am on a Monday morning I have no idea
    • kingrulzuk
    • By kingrulzuk 7th Nov 16, 10:16 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    kingrulzuk
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:16 AM
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:16 AM
    Nothing taken from either of my two current accounts. Why they felt the need to text me with their public statement and wake me up at 5:55 am on a Monday morning I have no idea
    Originally posted by VT82

I got the text too but I was walking to work so its ok
    What happens if you push this button?
    • Former MSE Matt
    • By Former MSE Matt 7th Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Former MSE Matt
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    • 7th Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    There's been some quite hefty discussion around this on another forum post since Sat 5th Nov - Take a look at it here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71573568

Our news item has also just been updated with new figures

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2016/11/tesco-bank-vows-to-refund-customers-affected-by-hack---check-if-your-current-accounts-been-compromised?purge&utm_content=buffer5560a&utm_medi um=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buff er
    • john1002
    • By john1002 7th Nov 16, 12:17 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    john1002
    • 7th Nov 16, 12:17 PM
    • 7th Nov 16, 12:17 PM
    It will be interesting to see what Tesco say is behind the hack as a large number of posters have said they have never used there cards as accounts solely used for savings.

John
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 7th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    What on Earth is going on at Tesco?

Over the weekend MSE News reported that many Tesco credit cards had been cancelled due to suspected fraud - that story has now disappeared from MSE News - now we hear that Tesco current accounts have been raided.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 7th Nov 16, 1:09 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    SplanK
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:09 PM

Over the weekend MSE News reported that many Tesco credit cards had been cancelled due to suspected fraud - that story has now disappeared from MSE News - now we hear that Tesco current accounts have been raided.
    Originally posted by Consumerist

Possibly miss-reported?

I got a text message and I immediately thought it was about my credit card rather than current account!
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 7th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 5,713 Posts
    • 5,040 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 7th Nov 16, 1:12 PM

Originally posted by Consumerist
    obv you haven't been following the other thread....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 7th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 3,271 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    On the positive side, you got an extra 55 minutes kip than I did! My text came through at 5am.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Nov 16, 1:15 PM
    • 30,269 Posts
    • 18,171 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    On the positive side, you got an extra 55 minutes kip than I did! My text came through at 5am.
    Originally posted by tizerbelle
    4am here...and then another at 4.30am. Apparently I got 2 because I have 2 accounts!
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 7th Nov 16, 1:19 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 11,165 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I got four text messages, two at 4.30 and two at 5.00

My accounts are ok

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 7th Nov 16, 1:33 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Because systems to send out texts/e-mails to all users are not instant and have to churn through however many tens of thousands of customers there are, sending in batches. It will have been running for a while and taken that long to get to you, whether going by name, account number or who knows what.

I got mine at 4.24am and 4.48am (two accounts), woken up by both but never mind.

ETA: the one to tell me one of my accounts had been compromised but nothing taken was at 9.20pm the night before.
    • Elijah Bailey
    • By Elijah Bailey 7th Nov 16, 1:35 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Elijah Bailey
    The Tesco Bank chef exec has admitted to the BBC that about 40,000 current accounts have seen suspicious transactions.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Nov 16, 1:38 PM
    • 30,269 Posts
    • 18,171 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Because systems to send out texts/e-mails to all users are not instant and have to churn through however many tens of thousands of customers there are, sending in batches. It will have been running for a while and taken that long to get to you, whether going by name, account number or who knows what.

I got mine at 4.24am and 4.48am (two accounts), woken up by both but never mind.

ETA: the one to tell me one of my accounts had been compromised but nothing taken was at 9.20pm the night before.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    I haven't seen any reports of texts being received at 3.30am, 2.30am, or earlier, so I'm guessing mine was one of the first at 4am (followed by another at 4.30am). So they must have taken a deliberate decision to start sending at 4am, either through stupidity or because they'd worked out that to get them all sent the same day, ie before midnight tonight, they had to start at 4am.
    • Baby Angel
    • By Baby Angel 7th Nov 16, 1:58 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Baby Angel
    I received the text at 5:55am. Checked my current account and all seemed fine.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 7th Nov 16, 2:32 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    I haven't seen any reports of texts being received at 3.30am, 2.30am, or earlier, so I'm guessing mine was one of the first at 4am (followed by another at 4.30am). So they must have taken a deliberate decision to start sending at 4am, either through stupidity or because they'd worked out that to get them all sent the same day, ie before midnight tonight, they had to start at 4am.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    There was a post from Rollinghome yesterday on the Savings and Investment board in which they claimed to have received a text at 2 am.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 7th Nov 16, 4:41 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 19,653 Thanks
    Doc N
    I'm genuinely puzzled. Given that texts can come in at any time of the day or night, pretty much from anyone and anywhere, why on earth would anyone sleep near a mobile that isn't on silent?
    • Jibeddy
    • By Jibeddy 7th Nov 16, 4:49 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Jibeddy
    I'm genuinely puzzled. Given that texts can come in at any time of the day or night, pretty much from anyone and anywhere, why on earth would anyone sleep near a mobile that isn't on silent?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    This; and if you're only concern amidst all this is the fact you lost some sleep, you should really consider yourself lucky.
    • knack92
    • By knack92 7th Nov 16, 4:51 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    knack92
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I agree but would add "if they are bothered if they're woken up by it" to the end of that sentence. Personally I keep it on ring in case it's an important call.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,061Posts Today

9,825Users online

Martin's Twitter