Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 20th Jul 05, 3:41 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 7,373Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    juicers
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:41 PM
    juicers 20th Jul 05 at 3:41 PM
    just wondering if anyone else has a juicer as we have just got one and we wondered what everyone else did with the pulp
Page 1
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 20th Jul 05, 3:45 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:45 PM
    Hello = I cant answer your question - just wanted to welcome you to oldstyle and hope you enjoy your stay!

Jo xx
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 20th Jul 05, 3:45 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I have a Jack LaLanne one and have tried using carrot pulp in a spag bol, but the kids noticed it so haven't tried it again. Other than that, I don't do anything with it - I haven't got a composter or would put it in that.
  • KTFrugal
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:46 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:46 PM
    The pulp from a purely veggie juice can be used as you would carrot peelings and the like as a base for a soup stock. Simmer it up with a sauted onion and a couple of carrots, then strain.

For fruity pulp, if it seems very wet, you can let it drip through a sieve to give you a little extra juice, othewise, it's onto the compost.
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 20th Jul 05, 3:51 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:51 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 3:51 PM
    see HERE and THERE for a few recipes using leftover pulp
    hth
    -
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 20th Jul 05, 6:04 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 7,373 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 20th Jul 05, 6:04 PM
    juicer
    • 20th Jul 05, 6:04 PM
    thank you all for replying and i now have a few ideas. i am not really new as i spend a lot of time here but just have never posted but definatly feel like one of the gang and have even been inspired to grow my own tomatoes!
    • freddie
    • By freddie 20th Jul 05, 6:54 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    freddie
    • 20th Jul 05, 6:54 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 6:54 PM
    I juice a lot of fruit and use the pulp in buns, muffins, cakes anything really. Always really nice and saves wasting.
    Use veg pulp in spag bal, lasagne, soup, quiche, there are loads of options.

Have an Antony worrell thompson and love it.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 30th Dec 05, 3:35 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    inkie
    • 30th Dec 05, 3:35 PM
    Juicing Machine
    • 30th Dec 05, 3:35 PM
    Hi everyone

Been to Mr T's this week and bought myself a juicing machine - paid 14.99 so didn't think that this was bad.

Have used it for the first time this pm (pinapples, orange, bananas) all which were begging to be used up - and am completely hooked and so is Mr inkie and the little inkies. We have kept all the pulp and will reuse this on top of porridge (pity we don't have a baby in the house and I am sure would make wonderful baby food lol!) adn also to go on a trifle that I am making instead of custard. Also has anyone had experience of freezing the pulp - it just seems a shame to waste if we can't use it all in one go. :confused:

What do you do in yours? Would particularly like to hear how people use veggies to make soups in the juicer, so any recipe ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance

Inkie
  • ladygrey
    • 4th Mar 06, 10:56 AM
    • 4th Mar 06, 10:56 AM
    I wouldn't want to use a juicer for veg for soup as most of the goodness is in the pulp, and it's so much easier to make soup and then blend it

would be interested to know if pulp can be frozen though
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 4th Mar 06, 11:26 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Carrot, apple and celery (equal quantities) is a nice mixture - I'm afraid the pulp from ours goes straight into the compost bin
    • moggins
    • By moggins 4th Mar 06, 11:27 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    The pulp from mine is so dry it's not much use for anything other than the compost bin.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 5th Mar 06, 6:03 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    I do freeze the pulp from mine but then its only apples so I use it in fruit crumbles.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 5th Mar 06, 8:50 AM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    I was just wondering the exact same thing. Yay the search function worked for me today. lol

Have just borrowed a juicer from a friend to try and see if we like it but after our first go, the juice was really gorgeous but there was so much pulp left behind!

Is there any way to minimise pulp i.e. using bananas last or particular fruits that don't leave so much pulp?

I thought maybe use the pulp to make lollies mixed with milk or something..
  • Annie Fanny
    Annie's OS tip for people with juicers
    Hello!

Just thought I would pass this tip on - hope it helps somebody!

After juicing carrots etc don't throw away or compost the left over 'pulp' instead use it to bulk out your stews. I tend to freeze any pulp, i.e. I made a carrot, coriander and apple drink yesterday and have frozen the pulp to put in the tomato based sauce I am planning to make next week for a veggie lasagne.

Does anyone else do this?

It feels so good not wasting food - maybe I should get out more!

Annie
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • mummytomoo&roo
    Pulp from juicer
    I make fresh fruit/veg juice every day and end up throwing away an awful lot of pulp.

I don't have a compost heap but it seems a shame to be throwing it away - can anyone think of a way to recycle it?
  • Annie Fanny
    BIZARRE - have you read my thread that I posted 1 minute before you!!!
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • wizzkid
    In soup for the veg pulp perhaps? You could freeze it on a daily basis and make up the soup at the end of the week. May be smoothies for the fruit pulp.
    • susank
    • By susank 1st Feb 07, 12:14 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    susank
    Sounds a really good idea - my bin is full of this pulp at this time of year. After xmas healthy month or two!!!
    Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
  • mummytomoo&roo
    BIZARRE - have you read my thread that I posted 1 minute before you!!!
    by Annie Fanny

Great minds think alike!!!

Brilliant idea to freeze it for stews/casseroles etc - didn't think of that.

I remember making some carrot cakes once with the pulp but they were very dry and not very carroty as all the juice had been extracted!

Any other ideas extremely welcome.

P.S. my fave juices are apple, carrot and ginger or apple carrot and beetroot - mmmm delicious.....

• Cazzdevil
    Or stick it in a pasta sauce.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,775Posts Today

7,585Users online

Martin's Twitter