Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 30th Aug 16, 4:29 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Got kids who've just finished their exams? Tell the taxman
    • 30th Aug 16, 4:29 PM
    Got kids who've just finished their exams? Tell the taxman 30th Aug 16 at 4:29 PM
    If your child's still studying or starting approved training, tell HMRC or risk losing child tax credits and benefit...
    Read the full story:
    'Got kids who've just finished their exams? Tell the taxman'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • troi78
    • By troi78 31st Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    troi78
    • 31st Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    Question about 17/18 yr old
    • 31st Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    My son will be 18 on 30th September. He's enrolled in college to begin an HND course in two weeks. I've already informed HMRC but heard nothing yet.

As far as I know, higher education means we have to stop claiming Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits but I couldn't find any definitive information about an under 19 yr old and HND.

Does anyone know?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 31st Aug 16, 6:37 PM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 31st Aug 16, 6:37 PM
    • 31st Aug 16, 6:37 PM
    Approved education

Education must be full-time (more than an average of 12 hours a week supervised study or course-related work experience) and can include:

A levels or similar - eg Pre-U, International Baccalaureate
    Scottish Highers
    NVQs and other vocational qualifications up to level 3
    home education - if started before your child turned 16
    traineeships in England

Courses are not approved if paid for by an employer or ‘advanced’, eg a university degree or BTEC Higher National Certificate.

Tell the Child Benefit Office if your child is:

staying in approved education
    leaving approved education

HND is advanced education
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 31st Aug 16, 8:22 PM
    • 25,637 Posts
    • 104,867 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 31st Aug 16, 8:22 PM
    • 31st Aug 16, 8:22 PM
    If it's still like how it was when I had to do this, you'll have to keep contacting them, as they apparently 'ignore' all claims of college attendance before the official day they start.

I'd hope they have changed this by now, but I wouldn't want anybody to think they've notified in good time, only to find their income decimated until November (at which point, they didn't give me a back payment of the full amount, they insisted on giving it a few pounds each week for the rest of the financial year).

If I were doing it again, I'd notify them next Monday, then the following week (and then check again the next).

Might be irritating, but it's better than having to pay the bills and potentially losing all your income until it's sorted out.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,153Posts Today

6,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin