Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • A Medium Size Jock
    • By A Medium Size Jock 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 8,181 Thanks
    A Medium Size Jock
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    The theory looks good, obviously more-so for regular users of & shoppers at Tesco.
    My BIG concern before even downloading the app would be the reviews - which are (by & large) awful!
    Personally I would want to see lots more 5* (and recent) reviews before I would commit to downloading and using what looks for now like a "flakey" app.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 9th Aug 16, 12:50 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    harz99
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:50 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:50 PM
    I guess I'm too old, but I consider this a step too far in terms of security for my card and banking details. Far too much personal information to be stored on a mobile device, which can easily be stolen/lost/hacked/cloned/whatever.

Then there's the small matter of relying on mobile phone providers for access to your data - okay until your provider has a wobble, or the computer says no like Delta Airlines.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 9th Aug 16, 1:10 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:10 PM
    I've been using PayQwiq for months and love it. I don't bother carrying my Clubcard with me anymore as its much easier just to scan the one app. You need to lock the app with a PIN or TouchID fingerprint, so if someone else got your phone they would need to unlock the phone and then the app.

I don't understand what the previous poster means abot the mobile phone provider having access to my data, this app is provided by Tesco and its Tesco that have my payment card and Clubcard information anyway.
    • genY
    • By genY 9th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    genY
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    I agree with jon81uk

I've started using this recently in my local Tesco after being invited to the trial and it is so convenient. I understand the bad reviews from people who have previously been unable to use it while in 'trial mode' or beta testing but for me it has been perfect. Very easy to use, especially when I'm dashing into Tesco or out for a run. Never have to remember my Clubcard again and no payment limits like I've had with Apple Pay in Tesco.

Would recommend to all
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Aug 16, 2:10 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 9th Aug 16, 2:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 2:10 PM
    Replacing Clubcard Boost with a postcode lottery? Great work Tesco.
    Last edited by Kim_13; 09-08-2016 at 2:12 PM.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 9th Aug 16, 2:34 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 9th Aug 16, 2:34 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 2:34 PM
    Replacing Clubcard Boost with a postcode lottery? Great work Tesco.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not sure what your point is?

Its my understanding that the reason PayQwiq isn't available in all stores is not all scanners are able to read mobile phone barcodes easily. I also imagine they are slowing rolling the service out to ensure it is reliable.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Aug 16, 3:15 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 9th Aug 16, 3:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 3:15 PM
    500 bonus points available to early adopters: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2016/08/new-tesco-digital-payment-app-launches-offering-500-clubcard-points-bonus-for-some-users?_ga=1.46457312.696116361.1412375433

Doesn't seem particularly fair when large areas of the country can't access the service.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 9th Aug 16, 4:55 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    • 9th Aug 16, 4:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 4:55 PM
    The store I work in has just had contactless terminals installed so I'll be using Apple Pay over this...
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 9th Aug 16, 6:43 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    harz99
    I've been using PayQwiq for months and love it. I don't bother carrying my Clubcard with me anymore as its much easier just to scan the one app. You need to lock the app with a PIN or TouchID fingerprint, so if someone else got your phone they would need to unlock the phone and then the app.

I don't understand what the previous poster means abot the mobile phone provider having access to my data, this app is provided by Tesco and its Tesco that have my payment card and Clubcard information anyway.
    Originally posted by jon81uk
    You've misunderstood. Its not the provider having access that concerns me, its having to rely on the providers services for access to the app in the first place. No phone service no access.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th Aug 16, 8:13 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    Ectophile
    I don't suppose this will work on my Nokia, then?

Personally, I'll stick with chip-and-pin.
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 9th Aug 16, 8:24 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    D.A.
    Yep, Apple Pay (and presumably other contactless methods) are now working on the scan as you shop checkouts in some stores in Northern Ireland, so there's absolutely no good reason at all to use this app instead.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 9th Aug 16, 9:39 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    I don't suppose this will work on my Nokia, then?

Personally, I'll stick with chip-and-pin.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Personally with Tesco at the helm of this I would rather pay by cash.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 10th Aug 16, 8:20 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    You've misunderstood. Its not the provider having access that concerns me, its having to rely on the providers services for access to the app in the first place. No phone service no access.
    Originally posted by harz99
    The app works offline (as the unique barcode is pre-generated) so as long as you have battery you can use it. and its rare for me to not have a debit card on me, so if my battery is flat or the app won't open then the only thing I'm losing out on are the Clubcard points.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 10th Aug 16, 8:22 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    Yep, Apple Pay (and presumably other contactless methods) are now working on the scan as you shop checkouts in some stores in Northern Ireland, so there's absolutely no good reason at all to use this app instead.
    Originally posted by D.A.
    The only advantage of the PayQwiq app is you don't need to scan a Clubcard and then tap a separate debit card. Its not a huge time saving, but its stopped me having to carry a Clubcard around. If you don't want the Clubcard points, or are happy to scan Clubcard and then tap debit card then don't use the app :-)
    • mrzippy
    • By mrzippy 10th Aug 16, 10:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrzippy
    A similar thing has been tried by a group of retailers in a America, think they've delayed further roll out due to contactless like Apple Pay.

Note Apple Pay can be linked to loyalty cards, not aware of a UK retailer that does this yet. Also shops like Lidl take Apple Pay without the £30 limit too.

This just seems like a hassle opening an app and scanning a barcode. Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 10th Aug 16, 10:28 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    This just seems like a hassle opening an app and scanning a barcode. Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.
    Originally posted by mrzippy
    As in my previous post, the key thing is the clubcard. If using Apple Pay you either need to open Apple Wallet and scan the Clubcard barcode or scan a physical Clubcard and then tap your phone to may with Apple Pay. With PayQwiq you don't need to scan a Clubcard, both cards are registered at once. Of course if you don't use Clubcard then payment will always be quicker as you only need to scan one card/device.
    • Scad
    • By Scad 10th Aug 16, 12:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Scad
    I've now used it a couple of times and think its great. To get a 100 bonus Clubcard points each of the first 5 times you use it is a nice incentive too.

As others have said, you don't need/use any precious mobile data to use the app.

I just wish it was in all Tesco Stores not just a limited number (currently 600) at the time of posting.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 10th Aug 16, 4:53 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Question I have to ask.

Is this service worth the £500 - £700 you pay for a phone to be able to use it when you can get a debit card and Tesco Clubcard for free?

All for the sake of not taking out 2 cards with you?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • snozdop
    • By snozdop 10th Aug 16, 5:49 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    snozdop
    Apple Pay is double click home button then tap on reader. Done.
    Originally posted by mrzippy
    The double-click is unnecessary if you only have one card in the Wallet, or the one you want to use is already set as the default.

Finger on TouchID sensor and place near reader.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,381Posts Today

6,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin