Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 21st Jul 16, 2:26 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 5,278 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 21st Jul 16, 2:26 PM
    • 21st Jul 16, 2:26 PM
    Interesting idea - though it seems largely intended for telephone banking as far as i can see.

So no real change to online banking, which is how, I'd guess, most people access their account details. So perhaps a non-story for many people's banking access.

Which is probably just as well as I, for one, do most of my banking online, and usually on a desktop or laptop pc with no microphone. The banks would have trouble recognising my voice with those...
    • badger09
    • By badger09 21st Jul 16, 3:13 PM
    • 7,397 Posts
    • 6,940 Thanks
    badger09
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:13 PM
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:13 PM
    Interesting idea - though it seems largely intended for telephone banking as far as i can see.

So no real change to online banking, which is how, I'd guess, most people access their account details. So perhaps a non-story for many people's banking access.

Which is probably just as well as I, for one, do most of my banking online, and usually on a desktop or laptop pc with no microphone. The banks would have trouble recognising my voice with those...
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I've no idea what the stats are in relation to other banks re phone/online transactions, but I suspect FD have more telephone banking customers, since that is apparently where they get they high CS scores from Not to mention their rather clunky online system (and that's from a Co-operative customer)
    • marleyboy
    • By marleyboy 21st Jul 16, 3:16 PM
    • 14,803 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    marleyboy
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:16 PM
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:16 PM
    Here's hoping you don't have a cold or sore throat when accessing your bank.
    1+1+1=1
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 21st Jul 16, 3:21 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:21 PM
    • 21st Jul 16, 3:21 PM
    I have never got voice recognition to work reliably, and I have pretty clear diction.

Still, the telephone girls must be pretty fed up with asking for the third letter of my password. I barely call up once a year these days, the online interface is fine.
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 22nd Jul 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    • 22nd Jul 16, 12:22 PM
    • 22nd Jul 16, 12:22 PM
    I've got an account with Atom. I haven't tried voice recognition but have given up on the facial recognition option as too hit n miss. 6 digit passcode works fine lol!
    Ethical moneysaver
    • zerog
    • By zerog 23rd Jul 16, 9:00 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    zerog
    • 23rd Jul 16, 9:00 PM
    • 23rd Jul 16, 9:00 PM
    I don't think I've ever called FD except when I first opened the account. I don't intend to ever call them either unless they force me to.

I don't see why everyone seems to have a problem with their online banking. It is in simple HTML so works everywhere on any browser without loading all sorts of rubbish.

I really only have an FD account because they paid me to switch and for access to HSBC branches which are the only bank (apart from Metro Bank which is only in London) to still accept old coins and notes.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 24th Jul 16, 9:49 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 24th Jul 16, 9:49 AM
    • 24th Jul 16, 9:49 AM
    I just hope it's better than Siri.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 25th Jul 16, 1:56 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 25th Jul 16, 1:56 PM
    • 25th Jul 16, 1:56 PM
    Here's hoping you don't have a cold or sore throat when accessing your bank.
    Originally posted by marleyboy
    Read the news article, it won't make a difference.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 25th Jul 16, 2:18 PM
    • 6,939 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    So, once again, customers are expected to use something that they can't change, and is typically available for 3rd parties to observe, in lieu of a password, which can be changed, and is generally kept private.

And this is perceived to be a good thing? It's not.

Biometrics, if they're shiny enough for upper-management to want to be implemented, should be used as a replacement for user names - not passwords.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 3rd Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    If my wife's experience is anything to go by, First Direct need to get their act together.

She was abroad with no access to the Internet so had to use phone banking to make a simple payment.

She failed the voice security and was put on hold for ages. Gave up tried again. When she was about to be put on hold, she asked for somebody to call her back. Was told it would happen 10 minutes later. They didn't call back. Called First Direct again, refused to be put on hold again and was told someone would call her back. Eventually somebody did who then asked questions that were difficult to answer without access to any information (she was sat on a beach at the time).

A simple payment took well over an hour and several expensive phone calls.

She is going to make a complaint and opt out when she gets back to the UK.

First Direct need to sort out the process for when you fail the voice check. I think the problem is they don't have enough staff available to cope with the voice recognition failures (it is a different person to the one who answers your call). If they allowed the person who answered your call to sort it out, it would be so much better.
    Last edited by jaybeetoo; 03-10-2016 at 3:42 PM.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 3rd Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 21,172 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    I don't think much of that, i feel i've got a very clear voice but lost count of the number of times after pressing button 3 i've been asked ........ Are you saying this ........ No i'm saying this. And we go again... and again.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,345Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter