Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 4th Jul 16, 4:14 PM
    • 274Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: Record number of complaints against Extra Energy helps spark...
    • 4th Jul 16, 4:14 PM
    MSE News: Record number of complaints against Extra Energy helps spark... 4th Jul 16 at 4:14 PM
    An investigation into Extra Energy has been launched by Ofgem after a record number of complaints to Citizens Advice...
    Read the full story:
    'Record number of complaints against Extra Energy helps spark Ofgem investigation'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 04-07-2016 at 4:17 PM.
Page 1
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 4th Jul 16, 9:09 PM
    • 10,018 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 4th Jul 16, 9:09 PM
    • 4th Jul 16, 9:09 PM
    I wonder why, they are ex npower management who left the ship when made redundant
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 5th Jul 16, 7:57 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 5th Jul 16, 7:57 AM
    • 5th Jul 16, 7:57 AM
    if they are currently under investigation shouldnt the MSE's Cheap Energy Club remove them from their results until things have improved?

this always used to be the case with companies who are in difficulty in the past.
  • archived user
    • 5th Jul 16, 8:06 AM
    • 5th Jul 16, 8:06 AM
    if they are currently under investigation shouldnt the MSE's Cheap Energy Club remove them from their results until things have improved?

this always used to be the case with companies who are in difficulty in the past.
    Originally posted by minislim
    I think that you will find that this can only happen when Ofgem imposes a temporary ban on sales.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 5th Jul 16, 8:59 AM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 5th Jul 16, 8:59 AM
    • 5th Jul 16, 8:59 AM
    This is interesting. Before going to market, energy customers have to show that they can handle transfers in and out, and issues bills correctly, for around 400 customers to prove that all of their systems are in place.

Either they fudged the pilot or their systems didn't scale due to having too many manual stages. I'd love to know how they screwed this up because there are most lessons to draw from failure than from success IME.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 5th Jul 16, 11:57 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Bark01
    • 5th Jul 16, 11:57 AM
    • 5th Jul 16, 11:57 AM
    It'll be because their system didn't scale and/or can only cope with straight forward accounts. From my experience in the industry its the small % of problem accounts that accounts for the majority of unexpected workload and failure of systems.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 5th Jul 16, 12:30 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 5th Jul 16, 12:30 PM
    • 5th Jul 16, 12:30 PM
    True, but I'm fairly sure who's handling their flow for transfers in/out, and these guys can handle any problem cases, and I've also got a pretty good guess at where they've sourced their CRM system. Others have gone this "off the shelf" route pretty painlessly so these guys are either trying (and failing) to go DIY, or simply haven't got even the most basic of a clue.
    Last edited by gadgetmind; 05-07-2016 at 2:00 PM.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 5th Jul 16, 1:00 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 5th Jul 16, 1:00 PM
    • 5th Jul 16, 1:00 PM
    I think that you will find that this can only happen when Ofgem imposes a temporary ban on sales.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    but MSE has done this in the past with other suppliers in other area's of business. such as telecoms, banking etc.

all they need to do is blank out the section where Extra energy would be and leave a note that they have removed them due to record numbers of complaints.

they would be doing potential customers a favor!
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 6th Jul 16, 1:05 PM
    • 10,018 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 6th Jul 16, 1:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 16, 1:05 PM
    True, but I'm fairly sure who's handling their flow for transfers in/out, and these guys can handle any problem cases, and I've also got a pretty good guess at where they've sourced their CRM system. Others have gone this "off the shelf" route pretty painlessly so these guys are either trying (and failing) to go DIY, or simply haven't got even the most basic of a clue.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind

same people involved, who killed npowers that's why
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 6th Jul 16, 2:14 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    But npower had a whole lot of legacy to cope with. Starting afresh *should* be fairly easy but ask me in a year! ;-)

• crazyfj
    • By crazyfj 6th Jul 16, 2:19 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    crazyfj
    Please avoid this company.

They based my Direct Debit usage on one winter month billing. Sent emails advising I wasn't happy at paying just a large monthly amount. Now a simple thing, but they totally ignore you. Even customers relations ignore you. Switching to them took 2 months for some odd reason.

I have left them, but EDF have so far been unable to get a final meter reading from them.

No customer service at all.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Jul 16, 3:48 PM
    • 20,632 Posts
    • 14,896 Thanks
    molerat
    Please avoid this company.

They based my Direct Debit usage on one winter month billing. Sent emails advising I wasn't happy at paying just a large monthly amount. Now a simple thing, but they totally ignore you. Even customers relations ignore you. Switching to them took 2 months for some odd reason.

I have left them, but EDF have so far been unable to get a final meter reading from them.

No customer service at all.
    Originally posted by crazyfj
    Why would EDF be getting a final reading from them, you give the read to EDF and they send it to EE.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Rock King
    • By Rock King 6th Jul 16, 4:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Rock King
    Don't talk to me about Extra Energy.
    Two shops, both with EE (Extra Energy, not tele guys) and I was always about £900 in credit. It came to a head when a bill was for £299 and rather than take it off my credit they took money from my bank. I complained and was told the only way to get my money back was to cancel my contract (true!). So this I did for one of the shops, obviously waiting for the contract to end first. 1st April 2016 and I changed supplier officially. But then there was the meter reading, which was taken on April 1st by the new company who sent a man over. A month later new company invoiced me for 1 month and showed meter reading. I called EE but they said they did not have the April 1 reading. Phone calls went back and forth for a few weeks whils I tried to get what is £700 owed to me back into my account. Finally on the 8th June, over two months later, I got a final bill saying my money would be returned on (or around) the 18th June. Of course I got nothing. 1st July I lost it with them and threatened County Court action but they didn't mind. Latest is a guaranteed date of Thursday 7th July, but the person on the phone hastily added that if it is not paid then they can fast track it which would take a short while. WHAT! I've filled in the court papers and will file them Thursday with interest on top.
    • crazyfj
    • By crazyfj 6th Jul 16, 9:14 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    crazyfj
    EDF advised they have to agree the meter reading with EE.

There is 28 day process to do this to ensure no double billing.

Hope that answers your question. EE have ignored them
    • energy.wise
    • By energy.wise 9th Jul 16, 4:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    energy.wise
    Avoid Like The Plague
    This firm uses underhand methods when the contract comes to an end .If you forget to give them 30 days notice that you wish to leave at the end or your fixed term contract you are then forced into another years term at highly inflated rates. You can't just wait for the 30 days to expire from when you do give noticev , lthey refuse to end your contract . They also refuse to put you through to anyone with more authority to discuss the matter, and claim that no one in the company has the authority to override this policy. I represent our village hall and we are a registered charity. We can't afford to waste money like this. The rates they are forcing us onto are as follows from July 2016 to July 2017.

Electricity only .
    Standing Charge 31.56 Ppd
    Day Rate 15.39 kWh
    Night Rate. 8.33. kWh

Why can't they be honest with you and let you leave with 30 days notice from when you give it as long as it expires after your fixed term date. If their renewal rates were competitive you would not want to leave .

The broker that signed me up with them ( Switch My Business . Com ) Have now stopped dealing with Extra Energy due to the volume of customer complaints.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 16, 1:39 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    This firm uses underhand methods when the contract comes to an end .If you forget to give them 30 days notice that you wish to leave at the end or your fixed term contract you are then forced into another years term at highly inflated rates. You can't just wait for the 30 days to expire from when you do give noticev , lthey refuse to end your contract . They also refuse to put you through to anyone with more authority to discuss the matter, and claim that no one in the company has the authority to override this policy. I represent our village hall and we are a registered charity. We can't afford to waste money like this. The rates they are forcing us onto are as follows from July 2016 to July 2017.

Electricity only .
    Standing Charge 31.56 Ppd
    Day Rate 15.39 kWh
    Night Rate. 8.33. kWh

Why can't they be honest with you and let you leave with 30 days notice from when you give it as long as it expires after your fixed term date. If their renewal rates were competitive you would not want to leave .

The broker that signed me up with them (URL REMOVED ) Have now stopped dealing with Extra Energy due to the volume of customer complaints.
    Originally posted by energy.wise
    Sounds like you are a business.

Business terms are very different to domestic terms.
    Your experiences would not apply if you were a domestic customer

Your experiences are common practice amongst most suppliers to businesses. (some need much more than 30 days notice)

Good luck finding a supplier that doesn't act this way. I suspect your broker won't be dealing with many suppliers, if any, if they won't work with suppliers that act that way.
    • Rock King
    • By Rock King 10th Jul 16, 6:38 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Rock King
    Update
    Update to post #13. Of course I didn't get my money as promised on the 7 July. I still ring daily and was told a supervisor would ring me on 8 July but nothing. Another person said my money would be paid on Thursday 14 July.
    How can a company get away with not paying out what is due to me?
    • southwales1
    • By southwales1 27th Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southwales1
    I totally agree, we left them over a year ago and are still in dispute!

They may be cheap but they are ruining people's lives.
    • southwales1
    • By southwales1 27th Sep 16, 3:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southwales1
    They tried a similar tactic with me when I was so fed up that I decided to leave and they wouldn't let the new supplier take over my account!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Sep 16, 5:33 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    I totally agree, we left them over a year ago and are still in dispute!

They may be cheap but they are ruining people's lives.
    Originally posted by southwales1
    They tried a similar tactic with me when I was so fed up that I decided to leave and they wouldn't let the new supplier take over my account!
    Originally posted by southwales1
    (my highlighting)

As Spock would say, that is illogical.

Just wanted to ensure your posts were preserved indefinitely.

But thanks for coming back after a year and bumping this 2 month old thread, trebling your post count at the same time

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,392Posts Today

7,259Users online

Martin's Twitter