Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 16th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    sparky93
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    just showed this to the other half. she found it had changed last week, but was ok to work it out what to do. she isnt a computer person either. but she read the site and faq and managed fine. bit of a stupid website change and stupid users she said lol. and it was better before the change.
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 16th Jun 16, 4:39 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Peter333
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:39 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:39 PM
    MSE News: School dinners chaos after parents caught out by revamp of ParentPay cashle
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't have young kids.

What is a cashle?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Jun 16, 4:56 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:56 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:56 PM
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't have young kids.

What is a cashle?
    Originally posted by Peter333
    Cashless has been cut short.
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 16th Jun 16, 4:59 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Peter333
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:59 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 4:59 PM
    Cashless has been cut short.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Thanks Gwylim.

What am I like?
    Last edited by Peter333; 16-06-2016 at 5:02 PM.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Jun 16, 5:03 PM
    • 25,637 Posts
    • 104,867 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 16th Jun 16, 5:03 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 5:03 PM
    ParentPay?

ParentPain, more like. I hate using it at work. HATE it.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    • 20,093 Posts
    • 46,551 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 16th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    It's not rocket science, instead of adding meals to your basket then paying for it you now have to top up your balance, (using the exact same payment method as before) add meals to your basket then use your balance to pay. Took me all of 30 seconds to work out what to do.

As for the site being slow or not working, it's always been like that.

Another MSE storm in a tea cup.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 16th Jun 16, 9:56 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 16th Jun 16, 9:56 PM
    • 16th Jun 16, 9:56 PM
    So there's no app for it then?

It's just another stored value card to waste your money on.

Still have about 70 worth on an Octopus (like Oyster) card from Hong Kong. When I turned up at the airport, the desk says they can't refund cards with more than 50 on it. Something like people could launder money by topping it up with Chinese RMB, then refund using hard currency. I need to spend it, but nothing in the airport takes Octopus!

Set up an app that can take money through ApplePay, or Android Pay. When a school trip needs paying, the app beeps. You approve it, and ApplePay takes money from your credit card. Same kind of thing with school lunch, lunch money low, beep, top up? You set it up to alert you to top up weekly or monthly, or per term.

You and Yours did an item on new builds, houses that is, yesterday. They just don't have the craftsmen to build properly these days. Same with software. These young whipper snappers think they can program if they can make 1 + 1 = 2.
    Last edited by Pincher; 16-06-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 17th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,336 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    • 17th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 17th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Is anyone else having Parentpay problems?

Do you find it easier to use now or was it better before?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • girlsmum
    • By girlsmum 17th Jun 16, 12:08 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    girlsmum
    I used it last week to top up my childs lunch account, whilst i did figure out what to do, I find it totally pointless!!! why should i top up with an excess amount to be held there to be dished out as and when, I have a bank account to hold my cash thanks... it was much easier to click pay for items then pay for what was in your basket. Now if i have a few items to pay for i would have to total it up top up by that amount then allocate it out.... this is not an improvement
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 17th Jun 16, 1:21 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    I use ParentPay for eldest child. I've had absolutely no problems using at all. When I add an amount to child's dinner money , a notice pops up saying school dinners costs (eg) 10 per week, or 64 for the full term. So I add 64 to the balance, and hey presto, my kid has hot meals. Any unused balance gets carried forward.

I did, once, let the account go into negative credit. I just totally forgot! Child was still allowed to have school meals, and did not go hungry. I paid off the negative balance, and topped it up for enough meals for the rest of term. I assume if I went into a large negative balance, meals would be stopped. But if that were the case, I imagine there is a deeper problem than not being able to use the website.

There were multiple notices and guides on the ParentPay website before and after the change. I agree with the poster above, it does seem to be a storm in a teacup.
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 17th Jun 16, 4:49 PM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 41,153 Thanks
    balletshoes
    Is anyone else having Parentpay problems?

Do you find it easier to use now or was it better before?
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    nope, no problems, took all of 10 seconds to work out (following a big message telling me to do so) that I must now top up first on the site, then pay for items. No chaos here.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 19th Jun 16, 7:39 AM
    • 10,440 Posts
    • 13,126 Thanks
    vikingaero
    It's a common problem with these school pay websites - created by RichardHeads to make money, but little is invested in user friendliness or debugging software. They have no need to pander to parents - once a school signs up there's no competition. Perhaps it should be mandatory for schools to offer 2 payment providers - that way if one fails or performs badly then parents can migrate to the better system.

Why do I criticise these sites? As a parent I use them and contact methods are often only online contact forms. It's hard to find a contact telephone number if it is shown or buried in privacy policies or terms and conditions. If we were using a commercial website for purchases and a geographic telephone number wasn't shown then a lot of us wouldn't buy from them. But because it's a monopoly we have to.
    The man without a signature.
    • gayleygoo
    • By gayleygoo 20th Jun 16, 10:47 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    gayleygoo
    150 complaints out of two million users isn't a great deal - it's just 0.0075% that are complaining about problems. It seems that most people figure it out just fine!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright

April GC 13.20/300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's 255
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter