Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,442Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 10:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 1:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 931
    • winspiration
    • By winspiration 7th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    winspiration
    I'd guess the curtain is to cut down on draughts / keep the heat in.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 7th Jun 16, 9:55 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    LittleMax
    All those mirrors and no EA?
    • VultureDodger
    • By VultureDodger 7th Jun 16, 10:13 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    VultureDodger
    48k a month in mortgage payments? Who knew putting mirrors on every available surface was so expensive?!
    • VultureDodger
    • By VultureDodger 7th Jun 16, 10:23 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    VultureDodger
    50 shades of white. I have a 7 year old daughter who would still find a way of getting mucky if she were plonked in one of those rooms!

That kitchen though! I'd give my right arm for a house like that (but I'd add lots of colour and life to it)
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jun 16, 6:54 AM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,252 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Ohh I always wondered what it looked like inside. Yes I think it has been for sale a number of times in recent years. - I think that is the one called (or was called) the Market Garden - because it was built on the site of, wait for it, a market garden I used to walk there with my mother when I was a child.

Edit - sorry just read the description and it is called Garden House. I am sure it used to have a swimming pool.
    Originally posted by mavisangelica
    There's something I dont quite "get" about that house - and I cant put my finger on it. To me personally - loadsa white wouldnt put me off. But I dont quite get all those lights in the ceilings. I dont get the garden looking like its too small for that size house and in a different style.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jun 16, 6:58 AM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,252 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    They could have cleaned up a bit, or waited until it was empty before taking pics! And what's with the curtain over the door in pic 5?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59244185.html?premiumA=true
    Originally posted by marlasinger
    Eugh!

How did it get to look so filthy?

With all that stuff scattered everywhere - I've just picked up the message of "Desperate to sell - make low offer". Never ever have a house looking like its "gotta go and go Right Now" if you want the best price for it imo.

I dont tend to believe in low offers. But that house had me thinking straight off "Offer 150k for it". If it were mine - I'd have cleared it/sent in a gang of cleaners for special one-off clean and hired a gardener to tidy up. Worth it - to get some thousands of s extra for it.
  • archived user
    They could have cleaned up a bit, or waited until it was empty before taking pics! And what's with the curtain over the door in pic 5?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59244185.html?premiumA=true
    Originally posted by marlasinger

What's the picture of in pic 7? Looks like a fossilised fish.
  • archived user
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37608789.html

'In Need Of Completion/Refurbishment'

Yes hiring a plasterer and a gardener
    • megaginge
    • By megaginge 8th Jun 16, 9:29 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    megaginge
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37608789.html

'In Need Of Completion/Refurbishment'

Yes hiring a plasterer and a gardener
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I like the exposed brickwork on the stairs! That's a feature to me ... but I imagine it makes the place somewhat cold ...

I'd be one of those people who gets the insulation done and then a fake brick outer facade to have a warm place with exposed bricks ... You know the 4mm thin fake brick stuff

I like it ..
    Hello There.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jun 16, 11:30 AM
    • 7,704 Posts
    • 52,574 Thanks
    Gers
    http://www.s1homes.com/Flats-for-sale/2016060321004060.shtml

Obviously got a job lot of paint...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jun 16, 12:07 PM
    • 29,516 Posts
    • 102,346 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Eugh!

With all that stuff scattered everywhere - I've just picked up the message of "Desperate to sell - make low offer". Never ever have a house looking like its "gotta go and go Right Now" if you want the best price for it imo.

I dont tend to believe in low offers. But that house had me thinking straight off "Offer 150k for it". If it were mine - I'd have cleared it/sent in a gang of cleaners for special one-off clean and hired a gardener to tidy up. Worth it - to get some thousands of s extra for it.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Imagine inheriting a property at the other end of the country, with a charge on it, and the lender now charging you 9% interest. You will want to sell fast to the most obvious market, which is developers, who'll know the area and the price, with scant regard to anything else, except the floorplan.

Tidying-up won't influence them one jot.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jun 16, 12:21 PM
    • 29,516 Posts
    • 102,346 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What's the picture of in pic 7? Looks like a fossilised fish.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    It's the Egyptian sun god Ra in one of his two boats.

In that sense he was a bit like John Prescott, who had two Jags, but unlike him, people believed that the sun shone out of his bottom.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Jun 16, 12:39 PM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 9,527 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Eugh!

Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    As Dave says, plus it's only recently come to market, so agent may well re-do photographs. The contents is obviously being sorted, there's a mixture of lovely old furniture, and cheap fill-in bits, combined with stool for shower and elderly paperwork. That pair of burr-wood single beds... hmmm...

It's possibly a sad ending to a life, but there's nothing wrong with the house. If it doesn't sell before it's been cleared, I'd bet the agent redoes the photos. For the type of buyer who'll want it, even doing the garden would be a waste.

Where the agent has dropped a blooper is no photo of the rear-garden view...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Jun 16, 1:11 PM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 7,465 Thanks
    bouicca21
    When I was a student several decades ago a friend had a room with exposed brickwork - new built and designed that way. The slightly uneven surface was nothing but an endless series of dust traps - and really hard to dust at that. I swore off exposed brickwork ...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Jun 16, 1:16 PM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 7,465 Thanks
    bouicca21
    a sad ending to a life
    I have a relative who lives a long way away and whose house is in a worse state than that one. I desperately hope that he's made a will and left it to someone else, and that I will never have to sort it out.
    • nubbins
    • By nubbins 8th Jun 16, 1:56 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 941 Thanks
    nubbins
    Link detached? Pretty sure bedroom 3 shares a common wall!

"A link-detached property or house is a term given to residential units that share no common walls with another house or dwelling. They are, however, typically linked together by a garage"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54314911.html
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jun 16, 1:57 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,252 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    When I was a student several decades ago a friend had a room with exposed brickwork - new built and designed that way. The slightly uneven surface was nothing but an endless series of dust traps - and really hard to dust at that. I swore off exposed brickwork ...
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Never mind dusting - every time I spot exposed brickwork I think "How on earth would I be supposed to paint that?". It just feels like it would get so dirty. As for having exposed brickwork near a cooker
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jun 16, 2:00 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,252 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Link detached? Pretty sure bedroom 3 shares a common wall!

"A link-detached property or house is a term given to residential units that share no common walls with another house or dwelling. They are, however, typically linked together by a garage"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54314911.html
    Originally posted by nubbins
    Oh dear....EA's are a right pain with the way they keep describing houses as having a different "status" to what they actually do.

Sometimes its down to a house used to be "whatever its being described as" and thats inexcusable enough. But to describe a house as a "status" it has never been since the day the builder signed it off is .
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 8th Jun 16, 2:07 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    Dandie89
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-54532273.html

Half a million for a furnished shed
    • Liz1966
    • By Liz1966 8th Jun 16, 8:07 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Liz1966
    I'm not even sure what I'm looking at in the second photo:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58829957.html
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 14-06-2016 at 9:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

1,716Users online

Martin's Twitter