Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 18th May 16, 11:21 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    • 18th May 16, 11:21 AM
    • 18th May 16, 11:21 AM
    Then the broadband charge would just go up by the same value. Anyway, the prices displayed will soon change as line rental will no longer be able to shown as a separate item.

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th May 16, 11:48 AM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 61,634 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 18th May 16, 11:48 AM
    • 18th May 16, 11:48 AM
    This would make a real difference to our finances. We pay somewhere in the region of £15/m for line rental and don't own a home phone!
    • VX5087
    • By VX5087 18th May 16, 11:52 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    VX5087
    • 18th May 16, 11:52 AM
    • 18th May 16, 11:52 AM
    This would make a real difference to our finances. We pay somewhere in the region of £15/m for line rental and don't own a home phone!
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    if you have broadband (not VM) then you won't see a difference
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th May 16, 12:15 PM
    • 13,161 Posts
    • 6,002 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 18th May 16, 12:15 PM
    • 18th May 16, 12:15 PM
    So why do you have a line ??
    For broadband if so you have to pay the line note phone rental or use an alternative broadband source .
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 18th May 16, 12:50 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 18th May 16, 12:50 PM
    • 18th May 16, 12:50 PM
    Originally posted by VX5087
    This. If line rental charges are abolished then the lost revenue would be added onto the broadband cost instead.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th May 16, 12:57 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 18th May 16, 12:57 PM
    • 18th May 16, 12:57 PM
    I don't mind paying for the home phone line as I have it (and need it for broadband)

What I think has has caused the problem in recent years is the bundling of a mandatory call package which many don't seem to use any more.

Why can't we go back to the old style billing, at least as an option?

i.e. a standing charge for the maintenance and upkeep of the phone line, and then calls charged as used
    (i.e. no inclusive calls)
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 18th May 16, 1:10 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 18th May 16, 1:10 PM
    • 18th May 16, 1:10 PM
    People seem to be getting their wires crossed with charges for having a line - physical wiring to deliver the signal - and charges for an inclusive call package.

There will still be a charge for the line, it will no longer be shown as a separate item. This is a backwards step.

Landline providers have botched their marketing. They promote line rental with inclusive weekend calls as their main offering. These expose callers to extortionate rates of 17p per call plus 11p per minute for weekday calls. Landline providers should be promoting all-inclusive Anytime call plans for a fixed monthly fee. These offer the best value for money if you use the phone for more than 20 minutes per week. All this comes at a time when inclusive call plans are beginning to include calls to mobile numbers making them even better value for money.
    Last edited by Ian011; 18-05-2016 at 1:25 PM.
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 18th May 16, 1:38 PM
    • 47,676 Posts
    • 7,301,866 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 18th May 16, 1:38 PM
    • 18th May 16, 1:38 PM
    Line Rental = Charge for a line used for communication by voice, data, or both.

If you don't want a line, you can opt for mobile or satellite broadband.

Perhaps we will next hear calls for those with gas boilers but who use electricity for cooking to not pay the gas standing charge.

May I suggest that HM Minister of State for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries should be more concerned about those forced to pay for a TV licence but who never watch BBC.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 18th May 16, 2:43 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    What will happen for people who have separate line rental and broadband suppliers.
    My line rental package is with BT and my broadband is Plusnet, surely Plusnet will still have a broadband only price?
    Edit: I do use the phone line and do not wish to transfer line rental to Plusnet or broadband to BT.
    Last edited by notbritishgas; 18-05-2016 at 2:50 PM.
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 18th May 16, 3:28 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    I'd like to think if they do change the way services are provisioned to a new set up the option for separate line rental and broadband will still be available.

This new provisioning method may actually cause prices to rise.

At the moment if you have broadband issues caused by a noisy phone line, Openreach will normally send out a lower skilled LL1 enginer as the fault finding for landline issues is a bit easier than broadband,

If people don't have "line rental" they won't know if the landline is causing the broadband fault. Thus a more advanced SFI / LL5 engineer will need to go out. Generally they're much more experienced so are on a higher rate of pay and have undergone much more training.

Potentially more training & costs involved for Openreach who will eventually pass the costs onto broadband providers and thus the consumer. Either that, or Openreach fault fixing is going to get worse than it already is.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th May 16, 4:16 PM
    • 9,167 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I'm amazed that MSE has brought up this old chestnut. Time and time again, the fact that getting non-mobile internet to the premises has to be paid for has been discussed.

You can't expect the people who do want to use their landline to pay for the rest to have free transmission.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 18th May 16, 4:36 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Even if you never make a single call on your landline many still receive calls because, perhaps that is the number they used to give out so this change will mean not only a billing change but a culture change in,at least, the short term.
    • redux
    • By redux 18th May 16, 6:02 PM
    • 19,664 Posts
    • 27,266 Thanks
    redux
    I don't understand the argument.

A physical connection needs to be installed and maintained between house and network, and therefore paid for somehow, whether phone calls only or broadband only or calls and broadband are delivered along it.

Companies have tariff bundle options of line only, line plus inclusive calls, line and broadband, or all three together. That sounds ok to me. I really can't see the problem.

This house has line and broadband, and makes outgoing calls using VoIP, which I reckoned would be cheaper than an inclusive bundle for the expected level of use, and this has been correct.

Are you overpaying £330/yr on broadband, asks a recent MSE article.

No. Roughly £60 will be the total telecoms bill from this March to next March.

There are plenty of competitive offers. Don't feel obliged to stay when the minimum contract term is reached. Keep looking.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 18th May 16, 7:40 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    Ian011
    The issue that people want to solve is ...

Adverts for broadband often say 'free for a year' or some other low price such as '£3 per month'.

When people go to sign up, they are then told they have to change their line provider and pay £18 per month line rental and choose a call plan.

They want to change the rules so that the advert says 'broadband and line rental for £21 per month', more reflecting the actual total price.

However, I still want to see a separate breakdown for line rental, call package, broadband and any other features or services.
    Last edited by Ian011; 18-05-2016 at 7:44 PM.
    • Plus
    • By Plus 18th May 16, 8:46 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Plus
    Paying line rental saves you money
    Understand this: paying for a landline saves you money.

Sound backwards? Here's how it works:

If you have no landline phone service, you still have to pay for your line to be maintained. Broadband doesn't come for free, somebody still has to maintain the wires. Once you have a line, the actual cost of running a phone service over it additional to the broadband is pretty minimal (maybe a pound a month - the overheads are quite small).

If you have just broadband, the line maintenance will be rolled into the price of your broadband. No saving. The phone company has no other way of getting revenue out of you, so they won't cut you any slack in this pricing.

If you have phone service, you give the phone company the opportunity to make some extra revenue off that. The phone company would love it for you to make some calls at 10p/min. The phone company will thus reduce your line rental in the hope of getting the revenue back on calls - because people compare monthly costs but they don't tend to compare call prices.

So a canny MoneySaver will understand that, by having landline phone service, they entice the phone company into reducing their fixed costs in the hope of making it back on calls (on average over all their customers) - and then in your particular case they won't make it back on calls, because you don't make any.
    Last edited by Plus; 18-05-2016 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Clarify 'landline' -> 'landline phone service'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 19th May 16, 8:28 AM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 61,634 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Originally posted by VX5087
    VM customer

So why do you have a line ??
    For broadband if so you have to pay the line note phone rental or use an alternative broadband source.
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Because it was actually cheaper than broadband only!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th May 16, 8:49 AM
    • 13,161 Posts
    • 6,002 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    VM customer

Because it was actually cheaper than broadband only!

Yes line rental in some form is and will always be a fact .
    Problem comes about from the mobile phone brigade who never use a phone via a landline .
    Broadband has always been find a provider and pay them 1p per minute or whatever .
    That service came down your BT line that you paid for . Then BT and other ISPs start up and eventually start offering all in one packages meanwhile the use of mobiles has grown .
    Line Rental is taken by many to mean phone .Its not a phone line its a data line .
    Thats not to say i would not prefer to see it packaged with broadband as an all in one price . Though that then makes complaints from those that have a line rental package and a broadband package with different providers .
    • davieg11
    • By davieg11 19th May 16, 12:51 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    davieg11
    I'm moving from BT to Virgin. BT is going up to £18.99 for line rental. £26 for my fibre broadband. £8.50 for unlimited calls and £1.75 for caller display. £55.24 per month. I very rarely use phone for calls but with a 19p connection charge then your price per minute it's cheaper to have unlimited calls package. I will now be £30.25pm for 50 meg fibre with virgin. A £24.99pm saving or £300 per year saving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

567Posts Today

5,584Users online

Martin's Twitter