Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Lucinda
    • By MSE Lucinda 12th May 16, 1:56 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Lucinda
    MSE News: Warning: TV licence loophole could close this autumn
    • 12th May 16, 1:56 PM
    MSE News: Warning: TV licence loophole could close this autumn 12th May 16 at 1:56 PM
    Viewers who watch the BBC online may have to pay for a TV licence from this autumn, amid funding changes...
    Read the full story:
    'Warning: TV licence loophole could close this autumn'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 19-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 12th May 16, 2:12 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 12th May 16, 2:12 PM
    • 12th May 16, 2:12 PM
    However, the Government has confirmed it will still offer free concessionary licences to the over 75s.
    This makes it sound like the Government pay the BBC for every TV licence given away to a household with one person over the age of 75, BUT it is actually the BBC who have been forced to give away a TV licence for free. So a massive hit on the revenue collected every year.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th May 16, 2:15 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 12th May 16, 2:15 PM
    • 12th May 16, 2:15 PM
    This makes it sound like the Government pay the BBC for every TV licence given away to a household with one person over the age of 75, BUT it is actually the BBC who have been forced to give away a TV licence for free. So a massive hit on the revenue collected every year.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx

Good. The more massive hits these parasites suffer the better.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th May 16, 2:19 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 4,949 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th May 16, 2:19 PM
    • 12th May 16, 2:19 PM
    This firmly pegs the TV licence as a licence to watch BBC now.

Fair enough, BBC should continue getting their money from the licence while the rest of the channels should now be able to be watched without a licence as they get their revenue from advertising
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 12th May 16, 6:12 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 12th May 16, 6:12 PM
    • 12th May 16, 6:12 PM
    This firmly pegs the TV licence as a licence to watch BBC now.

Fair enough, BBC should continue getting their money from the licence while the rest of the channels should now be able to be watched without a licence as they get their revenue from advertising
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Not really, it pegs it as a license to watch live TV and to watch the BBC.

Exempt non-BBC live TV viewers from the license fee and it would collapse (not least because that then becomes even more unenforceable than it is now). Something many people here would like, but not particularly rational for the BBC to agree with.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th May 16, 6:29 PM
    • 11,903 Posts
    • 13,343 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 12th May 16, 6:29 PM
    • 12th May 16, 6:29 PM
    This is good news and makes things much more straightforward for people who don't have TV Licences because they don't need them.

It means that people can enjoy non-BBC catch-up completely guilt(-trip) free.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 12th May 16, 8:25 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    Herbalus
    • 12th May 16, 8:25 PM
    • 12th May 16, 8:25 PM
    Good. The more massive hits these parasites suffer the better.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Just curious Bob, is there any organisation that you do like?
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 12th May 16, 9:39 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 12th May 16, 9:39 PM
    • 12th May 16, 9:39 PM
    Time to ditch the BBC completely. Anything good ends up on Netflix eventually anyway.

BBC radio is still licence free, and so is the web site.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 12th May 16, 10:04 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 12th May 16, 10:04 PM
    • 12th May 16, 10:04 PM
    Hope the BBC collapse. This will only mean more annoying BBC people ringing my doorbell at 9am on a saturday.

I wonder if watching Dr Who on Netflix (which is a paid service, that must pay the BBC for content) would be covered by this.

I don't much care as I don't consume BBC content either way, but this will only lead to more aggressiveness from the BBC (t/a TV Licensing) who only just barely manage to believe you don't need a license right now.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 12th May 16, 10:20 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 3,354 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    It's funny. I don't have a TV, never had a colour one in fact, and don't watch catch-up but do use radio and the web-site. But I don't have this irrational hate some seem to do, and I appreciate that losing the BBC would have tremendous social, cultural, employment and even international ramifications. As Joni Mitchell sang - 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'...

Incidentally, how _will_ they enforce this?
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 12th May 16, 10:23 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Halfway to the TV licence becoming the broadband and TV licence .
    Remember that name and you can say hey I read that on MSE Last year.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Zapito
    • By Zapito 12th May 16, 11:15 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Zapito
    The licence requirement for iPlayer is a start towards what is required to combat the free-loaders. However, a licence should also be required for radio - as a concession this could be included on the B&W TV licence as well as the full one.
    Last edited by Zapito; 12-05-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: clarity
    • Zapito
    • By Zapito 12th May 16, 11:20 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Zapito
    Incidentally, how _will_ they enforce this?
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I wouldn't have thought it difficult. Just as with the commercial catchup services they'd make it so you'd need to register in order to use iPlayer, and that would require your licence details.
    • Zapito
    • By Zapito 12th May 16, 11:23 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Zapito
    Time to ditch the BBC completely.
    Originally posted by mojo1
    Speak for yourself. No-one forces you to use BBC. But that's no reason to deprive others of it.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th May 16, 6:34 AM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I wouldn't have thought it difficult. Just as with the commercial catchup services they'd make it so you'd need to register in order to use iPlayer, and that would require your licence details.
    Originally posted by Zapito
    ...but nobody seems to have said how they are going to police multiple users eg son goes to university and watches I player on laptop using parent's license details -or are they going to restrict the number of devices a la Sky Go ??
    • redux
    • By redux 13th May 16, 7:04 AM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 26,079 Thanks
    redux
    Believe it or not, and against the tone of the majority of the posts here, about 85 to 90% of the population like the BBC, and about 95% of all homes have a TV licence.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 13th May 16, 7:25 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    Believe it or not, and against the tone of the majority of the posts here, about 85 to 90% of the population like the BBC, and about 95% of all homes have a TV licence.
    Originally posted by redux
    Not sure about "liking" the BBC Corporation itself. I personally think that is a very inefficient organization and could do with cutting back and making more efficient.

I would hazard a guess that at least 99% of the population like at least one program that the BBC has output over the last decade or two. I do admit I do like a number of programmes they have commissioned over the years but I'm not going to pay £145.50/year for it.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th May 16, 8:11 AM
    • 11,903 Posts
    • 13,343 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    ...but nobody seems to have said how they are going to police multiple users eg son goes to university and watches I player on laptop using parent's license details -or are they going to restrict the number of devices a la Sky Go ??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Anything that any other broadcaster/content owner does to secure their content is open to the BBC to use.

I can see it being very flexible to cope with the various sizes/types of household. The most obvious option for me is to provide a Master account with each TV Licence that has the option to create a finite number of Sub-accounts (say 8 or maybe 6 fixed accounts and 4 mobile). There might be restrictions on those Sub-accounts, for example that they exchange a security token with the Master account periodically, and (for fixed accounts) that they share the IP address range of the device hosting the Master account when first registered.

It might also be possible to unlock further sub-accounts by contacting the BBC Call Centre.

Making it 100% secure might be tricky, but making it sufficiently secure to prevent mass fraud and make minor fraud more trouble than it is worth is not that hard.

Hopefully they will ask some proper IT people (like me) to design it for them, rather than asking random journalists and forumites to do it for them.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-05-2016 at 8:15 AM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th May 16, 8:21 AM
    • 11,903 Posts
    • 13,343 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Halfway to the TV licence becoming the broadband and TV licence .
    Remember that name and you can say hey I read that on MSE Last year.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    I really don't think it is. The Licence and its Fee are here for the next 11 years - whether FMs think that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.

FWIW, whilst politics is inevitably a fickle thing I think the present direction of travel is away from universal taxes to fund the BBC and towards subscription. But I would say that, wouldn't I?

• pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th May 16, 8:29 AM
    • 10,131 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    pmduk
    It's the BBC, they'll farm it out to Crapita cancelling yet more popular services/programmes to pay for it.

Then in 3-4 years after it was due to be implemented admit it doesn't work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin