Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 17th Jul 05, 10:52 PM
    • 485Posts
    • 131Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    White sauce (for lasagne) Qs and recipes
    • 17th Jul 05, 10:52 PM
    White sauce (for lasagne) Qs and recipes 17th Jul 05 at 10:52 PM
    My 1st attempt for h/m lasnage shall be tommorow night,however I have no idea how you make the cheese sauce topping. Its going to be quite a big one so wish me luck.
    So if anyone could share their recipe id be most greatful
    Regards Keaterxx
Page 1
    • blondie21
    • By blondie21 18th Jul 05, 12:19 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    blondie21
    • 18th Jul 05, 12:19 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 12:19 AM
    buy the bisto cheese sauce granules or the white sauce mix and melt the grated cheese into it
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 18th Jul 05, 5:11 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:11 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:11 AM
    It's a bechamel sauce and tastes best if home made. There's a Delia recipe here
  • bargainqueen
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:39 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:39 AM
    There's a really easy and tasty way of making this in about 5 minutes...I use about 1l of milk for a HUGE lasagne so adapt accordingly. Take half a cup of milk off the litre and bring the remainder (i.e. the rest of the litre) to the boil. In the cup, mix the taken-off milk with 3 large spoonfulls of cornflour, mixing well. When milk has boiled, turn down low and add cold milk/cornflour mix and stir. Keep stirring and add black pepper, nutmeg to taste and as much grated cheese as you like. I generally use cheap cheddar and LOTS of it but up to you. Keep stirring and you won't get lumps, and then just keep at the side until pouring it on your lasagne.
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • magoogy
    • By magoogy 18th Jul 05, 5:50 AM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    magoogy
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:50 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 5:50 AM
    i used to work in the kitchens of a local college and this was one of the things i had to make - i cannot remember exactly how but will post back the recipe we used a.s.a.p.....
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 18th Jul 05, 6:28 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 18th Jul 05, 6:28 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 6:28 AM
    The classic white sauce made with a flour and butter roux is what's needed here BUT there is a modern fat-free, 'instant' version that tastes just as good.
    There is a flour made by Carr's called Sauce Flour (Delia used this in her how to cook series). It was developed to not need any fat, you can get it at Tesco and Sainsbury's.

For I pint you whisk 2 oz of this flour into I pint of milk (or stock) and bring slowly to the boil, simmer for 3 mins then flavour as you like. I make it in a jug in the microwave.

All the instructions are on the pack
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 18-07-2005 at 6:42 AM.
  • exlibris
    • 18th Jul 05, 7:12 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 7:12 AM
    You can also use natural yoghurt mixed with corn or ordinary flour instead of the milk. It give a tangy taste so if you are cutting fats in the diet you only need cheese for the topping.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Jul 05, 7:27 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 18th Jul 05, 7:27 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 7:27 AM
    I'm lazy. Not that this is news to anyone.

Grate some cheese into a basin. Add 2oz (50g) flour, a teaspoon of mustard powder, and (if desired) 1/2 tsp paprika.

Stir this about until all the cheese is thoroughly coated then place in a saucepan, add a pint of milk and heat to a boil then simmer gently for a few minutes. Guaranteed no lumps because the flour is already well distributed on the cheese and the sauce has a bit more zing than plain white
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • AussieLass
    • 18th Jul 05, 9:30 AM
    • 18th Jul 05, 9:30 AM
    I make the usual white sauce with grated cheese in it as well. I have found a recipe called Crock Pot Lasagne. Sounds pretty good, so I'm going to try it. They use cottage cheese for their white sauce. I will post here after I make it and let you all know if we like it.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Jul 05, 9:43 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    If you like it could you put the recipe into the slow cooker thread please? That way it'll get indexed.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• AussieLass
    Maybe ..............OK i will
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Jul 05, 11:10 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    LOL But ONLY if you like it

• KTFrugal
    By the time you get to making the white sauce, you'll have faffed about so much that you'll be pulling your hair out. Solution? Use ricotta - to a 250g tub of same, add salt and pepper to taste, chopped parsley/chives if you like and a beaten egg.

Ricotta often goes on sale and if you buy the whole milk stuff, it freezes well, you just have to beat it to get it's original consistency back.
  • apple_mint
    The classic white sauce made with a flour and butter roux is what's needed here BUT there is a modern fat-free, 'instant' version that tastes just as good.
    There is a flour made by Carr's called Sauce Flour (Delia used this in her how to cook series). It was developed to not need any fat, you can get it at Tesco and Sainsbury's.

For I pint you whisk 2 oz of this flour into I pint of milk (or stock) and bring slowly to the boil, simmer for 3 mins then flavour as you like. I make it in a jug in the microwave.

All the instructions are on the pack
    by apprentice tycoon
    Apprentice Tycoon ... this is absolutely wonderful stuff. Bought it based on your recommendation above. I've made perfect sauces everytime with it including cheese sauces (cheddar and stilton varieties) mushroom sauce (threw in a bag of frozen mushrooms into the basic white sauce) and a curry and corriander sauce (which was then poured over chicken pieces and baked in the oven). I've also substituted yogurt which didn't set properly in the yogurt maker for the milk.

I've just caught my 18 year old daughter and her friend making a cheese sauce for her pasta with it ... not normally a cool thing for her to be seen doing!

Thank you for the recommendation - I'm well and truely converted!
  • competitionscafe
    by Debt_Free_Chick
    Theres an even easier Delia version here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/anykindofcheesesauce_70007.shtml

Tried it last night (for cauliflower cheese) and it worked fine. (I used a non stick whisk). Basically you just put the flour butter and cold milk in a pan and slowly heat it while whisking. When it becomes hot it will thicken and you just let it simmer on a very low heat for 5 minutes, then add the cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg/paprika. [I add a bit of english mustard too - it really brings out the flavour of the cheese].

The 'proper' way is combine equal quantity of butter and flour (Eg 40g of each) in a roux and then very slowly add hot milk while stirring constantly.
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 07-08-2005 at 3:41 PM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Aug 05, 2:47 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Delia has been looking over my shoulder and pinching my techniques

Except that I grate my cheese into a bowl, add the flour and stir well till all the flour is coating the cheese and only then add the milk. The flour is evenly distributed aready and there's no chance of lumps. Tip into a pan, add the butter (mustard and paprika optional to taste) and heat as per...

• frizz_head
    by Debt_Free_Chick
    I agree, Delias bechamel sauce is great - and foolproof. Although liking the sound of Squeakys version!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 7th Aug 05, 6:13 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,856 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I got a tub of Sainsbury's "not just for pasta" fresh cheese sauce the other day (reduced to 89p, but only about 1+pennies normally), and it was brilliant in lasagne. I would say one tub would make enough topping for a serves-4 lasagne, and when you consider the hassle factor, and the price of milk, it is well worth while. Needs no attention at all - just dollop it onto your sauce or pasta sheets, and spread with a knife.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• nicola1982
    I add milk and flour to butter till the sauce is thick and creamy, then I add a lump of mozzarella and some grated chedder and it tastes amazing!
    4000 challenge

Currently leftover - 3872.15
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 19th Apr 06, 11:21 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I'm lazy. Not that this is news to anyone.

Grate some cheese into a basin. Add 2oz (50g) flour, a teaspoon of mustard powder, and (if desired) 1/2 tsp paprika.

Stir this about until all the cheese is thoroughly coated then place in a saucepan, add a pint of milk and heat to a boil then simmer gently for a few minutes. Guaranteed no lumps because the flour is already well distributed on the cheese and the sauce has a bit more zing than plain white
    by squeaky
    That is fab!! Just had a go!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

2,650Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin