Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 25th Apr 16, 11:24 AM
    • 274Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: Nuisance callers banned from hiding behind withheld numbers
    • 25th Apr 16, 11:24 AM
    MSE News: Nuisance callers banned from hiding behind withheld numbers 25th Apr 16 at 11:24 AM
    Cold callers who continue to bombard people with unwanted calls from withheld numbers face fines of up to 2.5 million...
    Read the full story:
    'Nuisance callers banned from hiding behind withheld numbers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 27-05-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Page 1
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 25th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Arthurian
    • 25th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    "..direct marketing companies registered in the UK will need to display their phone numbers when making unsolicited calls even if their call centres are based overseas." Won't they just register their direct marketing companies abroad?
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 25th Apr 16, 2:01 PM
    • 6,215 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:01 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:01 PM
    Yeh, but its the same old problem, whos gonna police/enforce it?
    • Kenco5
    • By Kenco5 25th Apr 16, 2:21 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Kenco5
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:21 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:21 PM
    I'm getting calls from local numbers which turn out to be PPI.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 25th Apr 16, 3:29 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 25th Apr 16, 3:29 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 3:29 PM
    I'm getting calls from local numbers which turn out to be PPI.
    Originally posted by Kenco5
    I don't have this problem anymore. I have a landline, but it's only there because I have fibre broadband, I no longer have a telephone connected to the master socket purely because when I did have a phone connected, it used to ring at least four or five times every evening. I then took to just ignoring the phone when it rang and hoped it would just go to answer phone. If they didn't leave a message, then I could be pretty sure they weren't that bothered about speaking to me! The problem though with marketing companies, is that they know if the phone isn't answered within so many rings, it will go to answer phone and they'll end up paying for the call, so they cut the call before the answerphone kicks in. In the end, I got so fed up with unsolicited calls, I just pulled the phone from the wall and never used the landline again. I only ever make calls on my mobile now.

As for marketing companies calling my iphone, well I know pretty much immediately that the call is a marketing call the moment it comes up 'London, UK' or somewhere else in the country I know I wouldn't ordinarily get a call from. I just ignore it, let it go to answerphone and then quickly look up the number on 'whocallsme.com'. Ninty nine times out of a hundred, it's a scam call often with hundreds of complaints registered against it. If it's a scam number, then I just block it, job done.

I know it's a burning human desire to answer the phone when it rings, but it does bring a sense of empowerment when you just ignore it! Receiving calls is about choice, the choice whether to answer or not!
    • Kenco5
    • By Kenco5 25th Apr 16, 4:40 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Kenco5
    • 25th Apr 16, 4:40 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 4:40 PM
    That's the problem, calls to my mobile have been from numbers local to me (ie, within a 15 mile radius), so I'm half-inclined to answer as it could be someone I know.

I'm now just going to ignore them and see if they leave a message.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 26th Apr 16, 5:34 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 26th Apr 16, 5:34 PM
    • 26th Apr 16, 5:34 PM
    This new law requires those who are already breaking the law by making nuisance calls to disclose their number so as to make it easier to apprehend them.

Seeing a number that you do not recognise tells you nothing compared to seeing no number at all. You will only know who is calling and what they want once they start speaking.

The new regulation is a complete waste of time and will make no difference. The number of nuisance calls continues to go up.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 26th Apr 16, 6:50 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,962 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    • 26th Apr 16, 6:50 PM
    • 26th Apr 16, 6:50 PM
    It is pretty easy to spoof Caller-ID so they will just use a fake Caller-ID for a few days and then switch to another fake Caller-ID for another few days and so ad infinitum. In fact, it is already happening!
    • CJGK
    • By CJGK 27th Apr 16, 9:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJGK
    • 27th Apr 16, 9:07 AM
    Not witheld any more, just FAKE!
    • 27th Apr 16, 9:07 AM
    We've been getting an increasing number of calls with obviously fake numbers showing up on CLI.. These are principally numbers that are one or two digits too short. Yet the BT technology seems to accept this situation, and even allows 1471 to report an obviously incomplete number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

455Posts Today

3,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin