Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Jul 05, 2:08 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Jul 05, 2:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 05, 2:08 PM
    I think there was mention of lemon in the elderflower thread wasn't there? Or a link? Or am I just imagining things?

Edit: It was mentioned but the recipe wasn't posted. If you look in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky there's a thread listed under drinks which has lemon drink recipes in it.
    Last edited by squeaky; 17-07-2005 at 2:17 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 17th Jul 05, 2:28 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    • 17th Jul 05, 2:28 PM
    • 17th Jul 05, 2:28 PM
    Homemade Lemon Squash

1oz citric acid
    4-5 lemons
    just under bag sugar
    1pt boiling water

put citric acid and sugar in a large bowl pour over boiling water. stir until dissolved.
    halve lemons and squeeze out juice and pips into bowl. put lemon skins in too.

cover and leave overnight.

strain all pips and lemon skins and bottle.

keep in fridge. dilute to taste.

makes about 1 and half litres
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
  • tootles
    • 17th Jul 05, 3:24 PM
    [QUOTE=JAMIEDODGER]Homemade Lemon Squash

just under bag sugar

QUOTE]

I presume you mean 1Kg bag of sugar?????
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 17th Jul 05, 3:24 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    Hows cordial made please?
    Hubby and I are having a debate. We just cant work out how say ribena or normal dilute to taste cordials are made. Does anyopne please know? I think its how they get ot so concentrated thats throwing us. If anyone has any reciepes id love to have a go
    Have a great Sunday afternoon
    Keaterx
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Jul 05, 4:05 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:05 PM
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:05 PM
    I think it's just made strong in the first place. The recipe in the link looks straightforward enough and they suggest serving it 1-2 tbsp per glass of water.

Old Fashioned Lemon Cordial

Edit: We have another thread on lemon cordial running at the moment so I'll merge this one into that one in a short while.
    Last edited by squeaky; 17-07-2005 at 4:10 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 17th Jul 05, 4:07 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:07 PM
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:07 PM
    yes 1kg bag
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Jul 05, 4:08 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 05, 4:08 PM
    There's another thread started on lemon cordial too (which I'll merge with this one in a while) and there's a link to Old Fashioned Lemon Cordial which you might like.

• otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 16th Mar 06, 7:08 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:08 PM
    Anyone know how to make homemade fruit cordial?
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:08 PM
    I'm looking for a recipe for orange or lemon squash...or any fruit cordial that I can make for my LO. Am trying to avoid artificial sweeteners etc.

Ta ever so...
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • chloe99
    delia's got a recipe for lemon squash but I found it had a really short life before fermenting, even in the fridge (like 2 or 3 days)
  • chloe99
    or, if you don't mind buying something then rocks organic is great and costs around 1.75 a bottle but makes loads more than it says on it (maybe makes 7 litres)
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 16th Mar 06, 7:47 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    Hi chloe99,
    Cheers. I have just bought some organic orange squash which was 2.45. Even though I'm happy to spend a bit more on better products at times this felt like a lot of money and I'm really interested in learning how to make things myself where I can. I'll check out rocks organic next time I shop. 1.75 sounds much better.
    Ta.
    Tess x

• moggins
    • By moggins 16th Mar 06, 8:11 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Otter - I have a book somewhere that has loads of recipes for fruit syrups. I don't have time to find it now as I'm just off to press a suit but I'll look for it tomorrow.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • frosty
    • By frosty 16th Mar 06, 8:50 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    frosty
    orange crush

675g sugar
    25g citric acid
    rind(orange part only)and juice of 4 large oranges
    1 litre of boiling water

put the sugar,citric acid,thinly peeled orange rind and juice in a saucepan,pour on the boiling water,stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves.Bring just to boiling point.Strain and leave to cool.Pour into dry sterilised bottles.To serve,use 11/2 to 2 tbsp to a glass of water.

for lemon crush ,substitute 4 lemons for the oranges and increase the sugar to 1kg.
    I have a recipe for strawberry syrup,blackberry syrup,
  • Happyroly
    delia's got a recipe for lemon squash but I found it had a really short life before fermenting, even in the fridge (like 2 or 3 days)
    by chloe99
    This advice is given in a 1950's News Chronicle Cookery book, at the end of a recipe for Elderberry syrup:-
    To prevent fermenting, stand the bottles in a saucepan of water on a thick pad of newspaper, with the water up to the bottle necks, and bring the water slowly to the boil and boil for 5 mins.

Happyroly
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 17th Mar 06, 6:16 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    I have a recipe for strawberry syrup,blackberry syrup,
    by frosty
    Thanks. Could you post the recipes for the strawberry and blackberry syrups too? They sound delicious.
    Ta x
    Tess x

• wendyl1967
    • By wendyl1967 17th Mar 06, 7:17 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    wendyl1967
    orange squash
    I have my grandmas Kenwood mixer from about 40 or 50 years ago. It still works fine! Here is a recipe from that but I cannot say how good it is as I have never made it.

3 oranges
    3lb sugar
    2oz citric acid
    4pts water

pare the skin of the oranges using a peeler then extract the juice.
    place the peel in a liquidiser wiht 1/2 pt water
    Pour into a saucepan with the rest of the water. bring to the boil, add sugar, citric acid, and the orange juice.
    Lower the heat, stirring until sugar is disolved.
    Pour through a strainer and bottle in hot sterilized bottles.
    Use as required, diluting with water or soda water.

It keeps for a long time according to the recipe.
    Wendy
    • FunkyFairy
    • By FunkyFairy 17th Mar 06, 7:49 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    FunkyFairy
    reading the recipies its rather scary how much sugar is in them
  • tr3mor
    Seconding Rocks organic squashes. With Ice cold water they're the most refreshing drinks on the planet!
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 17th Mar 06, 10:28 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 7,431 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Lemon Cordial

3 lemons, 1lb granulated sugar, 1 oz citirc acid, 1 pint boiling water

Peel lemons trying to avoid getting too much white pith.Put rinds, lemon juice, citric acid and sugar in large jug or bowl and add boiling water.

Stir until sugar is dissolved. Leave to cool then strain and bottle.Dilute to taste

It's supposed to keep for two weeks in frige but since I only have a small family I divide it up and freeze in small amounts.

The hardest part is getting the citric acid. Some chemists won't sell it and others keep it under the counter. It seems that drug addicts have another use for it so you may be questioned about what you want it for when you try to buy it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter