Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 16th Jul 05, 9:25 PM
    • 4,218Posts
    • 8,039Thanks
    larmy16
    Beans in the slow cooker.
    • 16th Jul 05, 9:25 PM
    Beans in the slow cooker. 16th Jul 05 at 9:25 PM
    I cant claim this tip as mine, but I thought it a good one to pass on.

We all find the idea of soaking beans and cooking them a drag right? Then we resort to canned ones which work out more expensive.

You can soak them overnight, then in the morning leave them to cook in the slow cooker. When tender, you can then portion them up for the freezer.
Page 1
    • aurorahelios
    • By aurorahelios 16th Jul 05, 9:33 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    aurorahelios
    • 16th Jul 05, 9:33 PM
    • 16th Jul 05, 9:33 PM
    It's a great idea but is it safe?

They are meant to be boiled for 10mins to kill the toxins, or does this method eliminate the need for that?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 16th Jul 05, 9:44 PM
    • 16th Jul 05, 9:44 PM
    Why not buy a pressure cooker.
    Overnight soak and 10-15minutes at high pressure or bring to pressure leave 1 hr then 10-15 minutes high pressure.
    Must be cheaper energywise.
    • aurorahelios
    • By aurorahelios 16th Jul 05, 10:02 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    aurorahelios
    • 16th Jul 05, 10:02 PM
    • 16th Jul 05, 10:02 PM
    I'm not sure I would use a pressure cooker often enough to make it worthwhile the expense of the initial outlay. I have to confess I know absolutely nothing about pressure cookers, what else would it be used for?
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 17th Jul 05, 6:25 AM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    • 17th Jul 05, 6:25 AM
    • 17th Jul 05, 6:25 AM
    I'm not sure I would use a pressure cooker often enough to make it worthwhile the expense of the initial outlay. I have to confess I know absolutely nothing about pressure cookers, what else would it be used for?
    by aurorahelios
    Just about everything. My pressure cooker is probably my most used kitchen item.

Rice, potatoes, veg, steak and kidney pudding, steamed sponge puddings, actually there are so many I cannot sit and type them all. Mine came with a recipe book. I am restricted on typing at the moment but hopefully at the end of next week I can do a bit more and will type some of them out for info. You might have to remind me though.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 17th Jul 05, 8:13 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:13 AM
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:13 AM

They are meant to be boiled for 10mins to kill the toxins, or does this method eliminate the need for that?
    by aurorahelios
    AFAIK that only applys to red kidney beans.
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 17th Jul 05, 8:44 AM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:44 AM
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:44 AM
    I have found this which seems to say it is safe to cook beans in the slow cooker http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/experts/coach/qas/0,,177274_182195,00.html

but then I found this http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Jul 05, 8:56 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:56 AM
    • 17th Jul 05, 8:56 AM
    That unsafe bit, I'm sure, refers to Red Kidney Beans and Soya Beans.

As it is, the Crockpot Cooking book I have suggests that anyway pulses should be boiled for about ten minutes first because it helps the slow cooking process. This, if adopted as the normal way to treat pulses will reduce the risk of problems.

TBH I only ever use tinned kidney beans and they're already cooked.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 17th Jul 05, 9:34 AM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 17th Jul 05, 9:34 AM
    • 17th Jul 05, 9:34 AM

by aurorahelios
    That is a good point. As I say it was not my tip, but I will try to find out more about the toxins bit. I have to confess I usually use the tinned ones too, but my sis gave me a packet of chickpeas, so I may have a go in the slow cooker just to experiment. :confused:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    I have found this which seems to say it is safe to cook beans in the slow cooker http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/experts/coach/qas/0,,177274_182195,00.html

but then I found this http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
    by Bossyboots
    The vegsoc link information seems to me to be the most reliable and confirms what I thought to be the case.
    The pressure cooker information they give may be misleading insofar as the soya beans are concerned. I've never known them to take and hour at high pressure. I do mine for about 10-15 minutes as I do all large pulses.
    The reason I give both 10 and 15 minutes as cooking times is because it varies depending on what I intend to do with the pulses. If they are to be ground into hummus then 15, if they are to be added to Chilli con carne or other stew and get further cooking in sauce then only 10 will be sufficient.

If you follow the vegsociety's advice and overnight soak, then boil 10 minutes vigorously before cooking the pulses in a slow cooker I can't see that there is much benefit in using a slow cooker for this purpose as it appears a waste of time and energy. But as I haven't got a slow cooker I'm prejudiced.
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 17-07-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    • mah_jong
    • By mah_jong 17th Jul 05, 12:19 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    mah_jong
    Definately boil the beans for ten mins before adding to a slow cooker ....I didn't and the dinner was fine ......... .the next day! It was cooking for about 18 hours!!!
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 17th Jul 05, 6:42 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    Definately boil the beans for ten mins before adding to a slow cooker ....I didn't and the dinner was fine ......... .the next day! It was cooking for about 18 hours!!!
    by mah_jong
    Definitely not a money saver then!! Perhaps I will just continue with my canned ones - they are pretty simple to use.

I asked the girl who the tip came from and she said she had never heard about boiling beans for the toxins! Maybe she has just been lucky
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 17th Jul 05, 10:17 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    I do chana dal in the slow cooker, as per Rick Mendosa's website on Glycemic Index,works every time and saves filling kitchen with steam and having to drain heavy boiling pans!

(from http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html)
    Here's an easy way to soften chana dal contributed by Deb Platt:

• Rinse and pick over 1 C chana dal.
    • Place the chana dal in a crockpot on low (for such a small quantity, I use my 1 1/2 quart crockpot)
    • Add 2 1/2 C very hot water to the chana dal.
    • 7 hrs or so later, the chana dal will be nice and soft.
    I use the hot beverage setting of my microwave to get the water hot, but not boiling, Deb writes. I need to do that because our hot water heater is set kind of low so as to not accidentally burn our youngster.

The nice thing about this approach is that there is no pre-soaking, no foaming, no boil over, no sticking, and no stirring. I simply let the chana dal cook over night while I'm sleeping, put the cooked dal in the fridge when I wake up, and then reheat it with other seasonings and ingredients at meal time.
  • KTFrugal
    Other than the dreaded kidney beans, I always soak my beans overnight, rinse, then cover with boiling water in the slow cooker. No boiling and faffing about. It works just fine, 8 hours on low for chickpeas, which are the slowest. If they take longer than that, buy them from a shop that has a higher turnover - old beans progressively dry up and take forever to cook.
  • xlt hunter
    Dried Beans and others in Slow Cooker
    Sorry if this has already been covered, if so please can someone direct me to the correct thread?

Basiclly, I know that Tescos have those bags of dried beans/pules/lentils etc.. in the organinc and home baking section.

I am looking to start the slow cooker with these, is it the case of chucking in the require amounts into the cooker with water and turn it on overnight "without" the overnight presoak in water and then cooking?

Reason for this is I want to start cooking bean salads/meals etc... like in that lovely program "YAWUE - You are what you eat" last night. I need to kick start myself and this is a barrier in a way. Got a blender for the smoothies......

Ta

Michael
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Feb 06, 5:16 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I know it has been discussed here before so you'll probably find something in the mega index about it (link in blue bar at the top of the page) which should provide the answers you're looking for.

I do know with certain beans, and especially kidney beans, that they will need soaking overnight and then boiling to rid them of any harmful toxins, so a slow cooker would be no good for this. I couldn't say for certain which are safe to use straight from the packet, although I've done that with black-eyed peas and red lentils, but anything else has had the pre-requisite soak and boil.

Hope the makes sense considering I'm only on my first of the day
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Chipps
    • By Chipps 8th Feb 06, 6:28 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    Yes, I agree with CQ. Kidney beans in particular MUST be boiled for at least 15 minutes to get rid of the toxins. The only way I know of cutting down on soaking/cooking times is to use a pressure cooker. I think (this is from memory) you soak them in boiling water for an hour, then pressure cook them. Sorry, can't remember how long for, but it's not terribly long. The high pressure steam has the same effect of getting rid of the toxins.
    Lentils are a different matter, as they don't need presoaking. But you would possibly have to boil them before putting in the slow cooker.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Feb 06, 7:12 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi

We have an older thread discussing beans in slow cookers and so I have merged the two together as you can see. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.

Other threads on slow cookers can be found in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Swan
    • By Swan 8th Feb 06, 10:01 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    That unsafe bit, I'm sure, refers to Red Kidney Beans and Soya Beans
    by squeaky
    from what I've read on the subject, that seems to be right
    squeaky, this issue's been raised quite a few times now, maybe we could do with a 'sticky' of some sort about it?

I'm curious though, has anyone here ever cooked dried Soya Beans?

I got my SC very recently, so only have experience of cooking Pinto Beans in it. I use them in chilli, I think they have a much nicer texture & flavour than RKBs, & the bonus is I don't have to faff about with the 10 minute fast boil. oh & they've been absolutely fine, no tummy upsets, so I can vouch for them
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Feb 06, 10:20 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    from what I've read on the subject, that seems to be right
    squeaky, this issue's been raised quite a few times now, maybe we could do with a 'sticky' of some sort about it?
    by Swan
    Hm...

I'll be catching up with this as I continue the MEGA Index so it will show up there soon. I'll make sure it goes in several different sections, ie "beans" in the cooking section, the complete slow cookers collection, and food safety.

That should just about cover it

Edit: I've just added this to The Complete Slow Cooker Collection, so I hope I don't confuse kiwichick who is looking after this one for us
    Last edited by squeaky; 08-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

931Posts Today

7,235Users online

Martin's Twitter