Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Waves_and_Smiles
Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,258
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
Forumite
This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    (The thread etiquette will be reposted every ten or so pages.)
    ........:starmod:......................................................................:starmod:.....................
    Here is the suggested THREAD ETIQUETTE. By following this etiquette, all posters, whether new or existing, will feel safe, unpressured and respected..

!!!But first...............please be assured..................................................................******It should be pointed out that if anyone is feeling very distressed or close to a crisis, they do not have to worry about what they are posting, or whether it is a penguin for someone else or not. (See below about penguins). In a crisis situation, just post! We wouldn't want anyone to feel that they couldn't ask for help in case it's a penguin! The penguin thing only applies to a general discussion situation.******

- This is a thread for support. We have discovered some good friends on here, but we promise always to welcome and include new people, and not to be cliquey.

- People may make suggestions to help each other, and might even ask if the suggestions were helpful or have been carried out, but we'll really try not to nag each other or put too much pressure on.

- The normal board rules about sexism, racism, homophobia etc. apply, but if we are careful we should be able to discuss almost anything without breaching board rules - so far we have discussed subjects ranging from child abuse to incontinence!

-If someone thinks that too much pressure is being applied, they can post the trigger word PENGUIN and flag up the fact that they believe there's a potential for someone feeling too nagged to do something. ANYONE could post PENGUIN if they felt there was a danger that suggestions were being enforced too much.

Similarly, if they want to discuss something that might be a trigger for some people, then posting PENGUIN would be a warning that what follows in the whiteout might be a trigger.

- So, if you think something might be a PENGUIN, please post something like the green bit which follows.

"Possible penguin about.........(Type of Trigger)" The trigger might be:- child abuse, marital abuse/violence, paranoia, stalkers, death, etc. (It's important to indicate the type of trigger, so that people can avoid reading it if they need to).

Then, when you post, repost the word PENGUIN above the discussion. Then post the penguiny bit in white! And the phrase END OF PENGUIN when you have finished.

It will look like this. You will be able to see the white text if you highlight it or if you quote it, (so please don't 'quote' a post containing a penguin onto the thread!)
    (Harmless example follows here):-
    PENGUIN

This is a penguin. A nasty, crotch biting penguin (CBP).
    It isn't really! So you can look
    . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGTv0hxhpc[/url]

END OF PENGUIN

(NB on a tenth-page repost of the etiquette, you can see these penguiny words because they are white against the green 'quote' background. On a normal post, they will be white against white, and so won't be seen on the thread.)

IMPORTANT: It has been ascertained that some posters to this thread have found that there are certain subjects which act as triggers, precipitating a worsening of their condition.
    To protect these posters, you are respectfully requested NOT to discuss these subjects on this thread:-

Religion. (Please note: it is recognised that everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and we respect those beliefs. It is only because of the fact that religion does act as a trigger for some posters, that we exclude it from discussion.)
    N.B. Please don't even mention the name of the religion.

The afterlife. The reason for this is explained in this thread by one poster, and there will be others for whom this is a trigger.

We ask and thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

.........:starmod:.....................................................................:starmod:................

!!!So, to reiterate..............******It should be pointed out that if anyone is feeling very distressed or close to a crisis, they do not have to worry about what they are posting, or whether it is a penguin for someone else or not. In a crisis situation, just post! We wouldn't want anyone to feel that they couldn't ask for help in case it's a penguin! The penguin thing only applies to a general discussion situation.******

- More suggestions please.............We stress that we are suggesting that we AGREE some Thread Etiquette to HELP people who might feel anxious about posting, we are not trying to IMPOSE rules, just relating this to facilitating groups, so that people feel safe and able to participate as fully as they can.

...............Thread Motto...............
    Nos Omnes Ad Audiendum Parumper
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,258
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2016 at 5:29PM
    Hahahaha! Super speedy Pyxis! :D

As I was saying, WaSp suggested I make a thread with a poll asking if people on benefits should be allowed wild rice. My guilt seems to be amusing him, he just told me that I am a special little snowflake...
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2016 at 5:38PM
    Hahahaha! Super speedy Pyxis! :D

As I was saying, WaSp suggested I make a thread with a poll asking if people on benefits should be allowed wild rice. My guilt seems to be amusing him, he just told me that I am a special little snowflake...

My stylus was hovering over the refresh button! :D

Ooooh! WaS! You could bankrupt the country by indulging in wild rice!

Make do with tame rice, like the Hoipolloi! :rotfl:

Seriously though....... No-one's going to begrudge you wild rice! Anyway, it's very nutritious!!

Special little snowflake! You'll be SLS now!:D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Pyxis
    Forumite
    Just thought! .........

On the other thread you said you were a sloth.

That means you're a goth sloth! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

(God, I'm so funny! I crack me up! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Hahahahaha! Ok, wild rice is going into the basket! I feel decadent!

Although WaSp finds it funny it also frustrates him because I have no problem with him buying branded products that he likes for him. WaSp only likes ground coffee so he will have that and I won't use it when I know I can manage on value coffee, just one example. I do struggle with what I allow myself out of guilt which is silly I know. Then again I struggle with being dependent on other people paying to keep me alive anyway. It all goes back to feeling useless.

I am such a SLS! Or a Goth Sloth!

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,424
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am feeling decrepit. My massage was lovely but somewhat forceful and I now feel more bruised than when I started. Then Gitdog lunged off down a flight of stairs without warning with me still attached. Luckily I still bounce.

Pyxis, I challenge you to find a goth sloth picture.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    elsien wrote: »

Pyxis, I challenge you to find a goth sloth picture.
    I thought of looking but wondered if I should bother!..............:rotfl:

I'll look, you never know! :D.....................
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,825
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Elsien Ouch Hugs that you aren't too sore.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2016 at 5:52PM
    Well,whadderya know! :rotfl:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FQGifWE1.jpg&t=560&c=lxrSMsESHtrKvg

goth-sloth-png_design.png

There are LOADS! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Hahahahaha! pics of me!

Eeeep! Naughty Gitdog! Hope you aren't too bruised, elsien!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback