Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 16th Mar 16, 6:19 PM
    • 289Posts
    • 80Thanks
    MSE Luke
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Budget 2016: New 'sugar tax' on soft drinks but beer & spirits duty frozen
    • 16th Mar 16, 6:19 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Budget 2016: New 'sugar tax' on soft drinks but beer & spirits duty frozen 16th Mar 16 at 6:19 PM
    Those who enjoy fizzy drinks, cigarettes and wine will be hit by tax changes announced in the 2016 Budget...
    Read the full story:
    'Budget 2016: New 'sugar tax' on soft drinks but beer and spirits duty frozen'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 16th Mar 16, 8:05 PM
    • 7,447 Posts
    • 10,806 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 16th Mar 16, 8:05 PM
    pity about the gin n tonic
    • 16th Mar 16, 8:05 PM
    pity a bout the sugar tax on gin n tonic!!! lol!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Mar 16, 9:42 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 16th Mar 16, 9:42 PM
    • 16th Mar 16, 9:42 PM
    I think the biggest laugh about this is they are giving money to schools for sporting activity.

Then the schools procure their sporting equipment from contracted suppliers who no doubt charge twice the price that you can get in the high street.

A win win for business.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 16th Mar 16, 10:52 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 16th Mar 16, 10:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 16, 10:52 PM
    More government by screechy single issue pressure groups.

There isn't a single country where this has been tried where it has worked. There is no evidence that sugar intake is primarily responsible for current obesity levels.

The following quote from the Institute of Economic Affairs just about sums-up the situation:

"Early evidence from Mexico suggests that a ten per cent tax on sugary drinks led to an average daily decline in consumption of 36ml per person (Colchero et al. 2016). As Tom Sanders, a professor of nutrition and dietetics, notes, this is the equivalent of 16 calories and is Ďa drop in the caloric oceanĒ.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Mar 16, 12:44 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Mar 16, 12:44 AM
    • 17th Mar 16, 12:44 AM

There isn't a single country where this has been tried where it has worked. There is no evidence that sugar intake is primarily responsible for current obesity levels.

The following quote from the Institute of Economic Affairs just about sums-up the situation:

"Early evidence from Mexico suggests that a ten per cent tax on sugary drinks led to an average daily decline in consumption of 36ml per person (Colchero et al. 2016). As Tom Sanders, a professor of nutrition and dietetics, notes, this is the equivalent of 16 calories and is ‘a drop in the caloric ocean”.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Correct!

It will only work for 'kids' by their parents controlling intake of the soft drink.

But as we all know products are all about getting you 'addicted' to a particular brand.

All the tax will do is decrease the purchasing of the soft drinks by the more financially challenged in society who have other more important financial commitments

With the people who have the money to purchase the products, they will still buy it tax or no tax.

Jamie Oliver's crusade to me is badly misguided this time.

Sounds like the crusade of removing sweets from the till areas.

In my local Tesco Expess they have a healthily food option on an end isle near but away from the till area but banks of high fat grab bags of crisps lined up on either side of the queue waiting area AFTER the healthy foods.

What a stupid own goal by the sweet crusaders!
    Last edited by robin58; 17-03-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    How little I know.!!
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 17th Mar 16, 1:57 PM
    • 48,824 Posts
    • 7,459,656 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 17th Mar 16, 1:57 PM
    • 17th Mar 16, 1:57 PM
    Taxing just "fizzy drinks" is stupid and misguided - a bit like taxing just "Superking" cigarettes and not all other types of tobacco. I suppose the aim is to stop kids drinking Coca Cola and to have them consume something healthier like fresh orange juice, banana milk or even a banana:-

Coca Cola 330ml (taxed) - 35g sugar / 139kcal
    Ribena 330ml (taxed) - 34.3g sugar / 143kcal
    Banana Milk 330ml (untaxed) - 35g sugar / 240kcal
    Fresh Orange 330ml (untaxed) - 34.7g sugar / 155kcal
    1 Banana (untaxed) - 31.4g sugar / 154 kcal

PS. I notice Mr. Oliver is happy enough to sell coke and other high sugar drinks in his restaurants, and looking at the prices it looks like he has unilaterally decided to charge a rather high tax already.
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 17th Mar 16, 2:06 PM
    • 9,373 Posts
    • 12,344 Thanks
    stephen77
    • 17th Mar 16, 2:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 16, 2:06 PM
    Well hope it gets children more active and less excuse for companies not to have sports equipment.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Mar 16, 7:37 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Mar 16, 7:37 PM
    • 17th Mar 16, 7:37 PM
    Well hope it gets children more active and less excuse for companies not to have sports equipment.
    Originally posted by stephen77
    ???????????
    How little I know.!!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Apr 16, 8:58 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 7th Apr 16, 8:58 PM
    • 7th Apr 16, 8:58 PM
    I agree that the sugar tax is too narrow and should include other sugary items, most notably milkshakes which are often worse than fizzy drinks.

Since it is levied on the manufacturers, what is there to say that it will actually do what it was designed for? The retailers/manufacturers could just up prices across the board, leaving consumers of the diet variants to subsidise the full fat versions that they're not consuming.

I object to all these taxes that that get charged only for the proceeds to go to 'good causes.' I'd rather they did away with it and used the money to help fund stopping cutting so much/continuously moving the retirement goalposts.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Apr 16, 10:47 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,391 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Unless you are an insulin user, or an athlete, no good can come from sugary drinks.

If people were able to apply moderation, there'd be no need for taxation.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,120Posts Today

7,474Users online

Martin's Twitter