Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from growing your own veg to washing & reusing plastic bags.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you havenít already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 14-05-2019 at 9:52 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 105
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 14th Feb 16, 6:03 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Many recent posts have been about laundry...and I've just put a load in. It's only recently that I've started switching off my machines at the socket to stop them being on 'standby'. I'm sure I won't be the first to do this.

Our son gave us 'Slankets' for Christmas. Can't get his Dad to use his, despite the fact his heart condition means he's always cold (and I'm always dripping with perspiration as he keeps the living room very warm), but when he goes to visit our son for five weeks of natural warmth in Dubai, I shall certainly be Slanket-covered each evening with the gas fire resolutely OFF!
    • FunBrum
    • By FunBrum 14th Feb 16, 7:26 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 6,730 Thanks
    FunBrum
    I do this Lisa110rry. In fact I turn off and unplug everything that isn't in use, and it does work because my electric bill has never been so low, and its wintertime!
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 Ä2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Feb 16, 9:22 PM
    • 29,116 Posts
    • 61,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Does anyone use a device plus smartphone to turn their gadgets on and off remotely? I glanced at a product recently (discounted, of course ) but couldn't get my head round the technology. Is it a faff to set up? Is it reliable? What is your phone is out of action? And are the savings worthwhile?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 27th Feb 16, 10:13 AM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    I brush up my floors and carpets (for carpets I use a rubber bristled brush and it pulls up fluff and long hair and pet hair) before vacuuming and then I don't need to have my vacuum on as long.
    CC2 = £8687.86 (£10000 )CC1 = £0 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 27th Feb 16, 11:24 AM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 30,559 Thanks
    Primrose
    Does anyone use a device plus smartphone to turn their gadgets on and off remotely? I glanced at a product recently (discounted, of course ) but couldn't get my head round the technology. Is it a faff to set up? Is it reliable? What is your phone is out of action? And are the savings worthwhile?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Can't comment on smartphone but we use Hive on an iPad to control or change the settings on our central heating and hot water when we're away from the house. It,s a very useful facility. If the temperature changes rapidly, we can turn the heating up, down or off. It will probably need a new thermostat to be installed though. We can still control our central heating boiler through this if the iPad wasn't available. It does take a little time to get your head round the technology.

These gadgets seem to be becoming more popular so may be worth waiting a while to see if their prices drop.
    • AnnieO1234
    • By AnnieO1234 27th Feb 16, 12:21 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    AnnieO1234
    Does anyone think there can be "too much too often" washing going on these days?

I mean compared to when I were a nipper anyway.

Changing bedding every week, washing clothes after one wear and so on?

Now that I've retired I realise that I did wash far too much and far too often.

I'm a bit more relaxed about it now, but am still very clean IYSWIM, and saving a fortune too.

I have a tankful of hot water all year round, so I often handwash stuff and just put them in the W/M to rinse and spin - takes about ten, fifteen minutes or so. Why waste the hot water? I have the time, I grant you, and I do NOT handwash towels or bedding, life is too short for that!. But you know, the tops, trousers, (special handwash for special undies) and small things like that. It's amazing how quickly you can wash them as they are generally only worn once.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    This is me! I'm a total laundry nightmare really. Everything is washed with unstoppables, possibly with laundry cleanser, plus conditioner (and if it's going away for a while or is bedding, then it gets comfort intense as well as the unstoppables). I use a lot of starch when ironing too, and every last thing is ironed. I even buy a professional conditioner by Lenor that is GOOD for towels.

Towels don't get hung up, they get put in the wash after one use. Bedding is done once a week but I'd do it every day if I could. Jeans might get 2 wears before they're washed. I'm just a total nightmare, I can't conceive of how people used to live with such minimal clothes washing. I mean, I know they had to, and I know I wash too much but I'm not sure what the happy medium really would be! xxx
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Mar 16, 11:30 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    ...... I'm not sure what the happy medium really would be! xxx
    Originally posted by AnnieO1234

I guess we all just go with what we are comfortable with. I feel that I shower before bed so the sheets don't need washing every day and the towels get used after you have just washed yourself so they cant be dirty enough to need washing after a single use ... but that's me and what I'm comfortable with.

My tip for washing is to make sure you have enough to fill the machine rather than washing just one or two items at a time.

I'm a northern lass so the washing gets hung out to dry as often as possible - unless its pouring with rain of course - and finished on the airers if needed. My neighbour only seems to hang 2 items at a time on her washing line but mine is always full ! I will go and find things to wash to make up a load rather than just wash a few things at a time
    Balance 0% credit card to pay £1360 £898
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 9th Mar 16, 6:33 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Datchet
    Some Sneaky Stuff
    Some of theses might be oldies but goodies
    1. Use refillable liquid hand soap dispensers filled with Value Bubble- Bath ( pennies for a litre as oppose
    D to £1+ for 100ml)
    2. A mantra taught to the kids growing up to minimise toilet paper sheets; "When you Poo - Three - Two - Two"!
    3. Save all toilet roll middles plus veg packaging for plant pots / seed trays
    4. Value razors - massive savings. If you get a bad batch... Take em back! No quibble exchange.
    5. "Submarine Shower" Royal Navy & USN showers run for two periods of One Minute. First to wash & rinse hair plus wet yourself. 30 second intermission to lather up. Second one minute period to rinse body. ( value shampoo & shower gel, Obvs)
    6. Hotbin Composter - all veg peelings and cardboard = never have to buy compost (takes quite a bit of effort)
    7. Grow your own - nuff said
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • 166million
    • By 166million 9th Mar 16, 9:27 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    166million
    Hubby discovered this one.

Getting marmite out the bottom of the jar with a knife is practically impossible.

Solution.....use teaspoon and you find that jar you were about to throw away will give up a couple more teaspoons of marmite
    Originally posted by givememoney
    I fill the jar with hot water and use it as stock
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 10th Mar 16, 2:06 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    givememoney
    I guess we all just go with what we are comfortable with. I feel that I shower before bed so the sheets don't need washing every day and the towels get used after you have just washed yourself so they cant be dirty enough to need washing after a single use ... but that's me and what I'm comfortable with.
    Originally posted by Skint yet Again
    What! I didn't know anyone washed sheets every day or towels come to that. Our sheets get changed once a fortnight and towels about once a week.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Mar 16, 2:54 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 28,313 Thanks
    Slinky
    This is me! I'm a total laundry nightmare really. Everything is washed with unstoppables, possibly with laundry cleanser, plus conditioner (and if it's going away for a while or is bedding, then it gets comfort intense as well as the unstoppables). I use a lot of starch when ironing too, and every last thing is ironed. I even buy a professional conditioner by Lenor that is GOOD for towels.

Towels don't get hung up, they get put in the wash after one use. Bedding is done once a week but I'd do it every day if I could. Jeans might get 2 wears before they're washed. I'm just a total nightmare, I can't conceive of how people used to live with such minimal clothes washing. I mean, I know they had to, and I know I wash too much but I'm not sure what the happy medium really would be! xxx
    Originally posted by AnnieO1234
    Do you have no care for the environment at all? We don't own the planet, we rent it from those yet to come.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 14th Mar 16, 7:13 AM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Have you ever thought about how much shampoo/conditioner/liquid soap etc you use? If your bottle doesn't have a pump dispenser you could decant your items. This will help you use less. I was very guilty of using too much shampoo etc, I now use a 20p size blob (2 washes) to wash my waist length hair. I make sure my hair is thoroughly wet before applying the shampoo, make sure you rinse thoroughly and again for my hair length I've found I only need a 20p sized blob of conditioner and use a wide toothed comb to help disperse it. Doing this I've gone from using a bottle of shampoo and conditioner a month (I wash my hair 3 times a week) to only just finishing a 250ml bottles of shampoo and conditioner that I started at Christmas.
    CC2 = £8687.86 (£10000 )CC1 = £0 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Mar 16, 8:05 AM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 30,559 Thanks
    Primrose
    Actually I sometimes wonder whether we need very much laundry iquid or powder at all. On various occasions I have forgotten to put any in my washing machine and just pressed GO and the laundry has always seemed to come out just as clean. Unless items are heavily soiled, in which case I often soak them first, I tend to use less liquid than recommended. I'm not a great believer of increasing the profits of manufacturers unnecessarily.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 14th Mar 16, 5:17 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Regarding the use of washing powders/liquids, I never use more than the minimum, my clothes aren't that dirty. Even dog walking clothes are only muddy, though I can understand those with an oily
    /grimy job will have other issues.

On the subject of shampoo, I have wiry, dry hair, hard to moisten and lather. There's nothing better for me than a soaky bath with a little bubble bath. I slide down and wet my hair. The surfactants in the bubble bath make it possible to quickly and easily lather my (admittedly chin-length bobbed) hair with Tesco baby shampoo. Rinse again in the bath water, lather again, rinse in bath water, then wash body properly in the bath, then rinse my hair with the shower attachment on the taps. We do have a separate shower cubicle, but I find this better at smoothing and softening my hair (with added application of oil after). I used to use this method on my 'sit on' long hair as a child/teen because using that rubber attachment to the taps was so inconvenient I wanted to use it as little as possible...the shower attachment to our current taps is much easier, but I still do it.
    ďAnd all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.Ē
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 14th Mar 16, 8:00 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    Susan1962
    An old one my mum used was to use combed out hair as a firelighter. I don't have a fire any more but the hair used to go up in flames very quickly. I would think that dryer lint would have a similar effect?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Mar 16, 8:01 PM
    • 29,116 Posts
    • 61,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm not sure I wouldn't forsake the laundry capsules but then I can't imagine washing sheets etc daily.
    2. A mantra taught to the kids growing up to minimise toilet paper sheets; "When you Poo - Three - Two - Two"!
    Originally posted by Datchet
    What the heck?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 15th Mar 16, 12:16 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    I've never heard of anyone washing sheets in a home on a daily basis, other than for mishaps with children, or really bad sweating due to the menopause. Once a week is what I am happy with, but each to their own. Bit different in the summer here, as I really feel I need to change the sheets every 2 or 3 days.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 15th Mar 16, 1:08 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    I'm not sure I wouldn't forsake the laundry capsules but then I can't imagine washing sheets etc daily. What the heck?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Squashing the toilet roll a bit so that it doesn't roll so freely always worked for me with the little one, and I still do it, can't help myself.

No doubt, one of these days, you will find that your little cherub has been chuffed to bits that they have gone to the toilet on their own. Might be on the same day, or another, that you discover that they have used a whole toilet roll....or what seems like a whole toilet roll, and then the fun begins.
    Two sheets for a wipe for a wee, three sheets, several times for a poo seems not a bad thing. I cannot remember now all the finer details, but I did have to give my daughter a toilet paper allowance talk, due to the loo being filled to the rim with toilet roll.
    All the very best for your little one.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 16, 7:00 AM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 28,313 Thanks
    Slinky
    I use ariel tablets rather than loose powder and only use one on a coloured wash rather than the suggested two. I used to use loose powder but found it hard to judge how much to use plus it would spread everywhere. I don't like liquid tablets in the wash. The powder tablets are becoming harder to find though.
    • Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 17th Mar 16, 7:18 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    Actually I sometimes wonder whether we need very much laundry iquid or powder at all. On various occasions I have forgotten to put any in my washing machine and just pressed GO and the laundry has always seemed to come out just as clean. Unless items are heavily soiled, in which case I often soak them first, I tend to use less liquid than recommended. I'm not a great believer of increasing the profits of manufacturers unnecessarily.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Later this year I am actually going to look into the idea of making it myself. There are videos on Youtube about it and it might actually be a very economical process.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

8,074Users online

Martin's Twitter