Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 5th Feb 16, 3:32 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach'
    • 5th Feb 16, 3:32 PM
    MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach' 5th Feb 16 at 3:32 PM
    A data breach at an unidentified online retailer could have led to credit card users having their account details "compromised", MoneySavingExpert has learned. Tesco Bank has already cancelled a number of its customers' cards as a "precautionary measure"....

Read the full story:
    'Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach''

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • Markyp68
    • By Markyp68 5th Feb 16, 4:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markyp68
    • 5th Feb 16, 4:50 PM
    I was advised by text that my Credit Card details could have been compromised as a result of a data breach at an online retailer and that my card was cancelled and would be replaced. The text advised me to call the number on the rear of the card if I had any concerns. I spoke to Tesco Banking and the chap would not tell me which online retailer was responsible. How can they refuse to tell us.....do they not have a duty of care to help us identify potential problems on other cards that we may have used. Besides, if the security system of a company is breached, I would like to know so that I can choose whether or not I deal with them again?
    • hsvqbutr
    • By hsvqbutr 5th Feb 16, 4:50 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    hsvqbutr
    Experian credit contacted me today to say that I have had my email address and password sold online. Which in turn meant that some of the online accounts I had linked with the email address have been accessed and messed with.

Have spent most of morning changing passwords for everything attached to that email.....

Not sure if it linked but thought I would give a heads up......
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 5th Feb 16, 5:05 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:05 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:05 PM
    If anyone has been notified that their card has been compromised and can post details of which online retailers they have used recently. It should be possible to work out by process of elimination which online retailer is implicated.

I have a Tesco credit card but have not received any notification, or had my card cancelled. So I can only conclude I haven't used the online retailer responsible for the breach.
    • Markyp68
    • By Markyp68 5th Feb 16, 5:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markyp68
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:17 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:17 PM
    My online transactions are with an Insurance company, the NUS, THFC and Paypal....and that is it apart from a number of Government sites for payment of toll charges, Road Fund Licence etc
    Last edited by Markyp68; 05-02-2016 at 5:24 PM. Reason: grammar
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 5th Feb 16, 5:25 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:25 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:25 PM
    I got a call from tesco credit cards 2 weeks ago telling me my card had been cloned so it was being cancelled and replaced - since the points changed in November I have only used it at tesco pay at pump and twice in store
    • MartinT
    • By MartinT 5th Feb 16, 5:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MartinT
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:30 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:30 PM
    My Tesco credit card was used fraudulently just before Xmas. Don't use it much and don't know how it was compromised but one which might match is the Dartford Crossing Toll Charge.

Tesco were very good and removed the fraudulent transaction from my account very quickly after I had informed them, cancelled my card and reissued another one.
    Last edited by MartinT; 05-02-2016 at 5:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 5th Feb 16, 5:32 PM
    • 51,713 Posts
    • 21,933 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:32 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 5:32 PM
    If anyone has been notified that their card has been compromised and can post details of which online retailers they have used recently.
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    Why recently? Retailers keep card details stored for years that, IMO, should be prohibited as breach will happen sooner or later.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 5th Feb 16, 6:25 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 5th Feb 16, 6:25 PM
    • 5th Feb 16, 6:25 PM
    I had a dart ford crossing toll on the card that was cloned from March!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Feb 16, 6:56 PM
    • 6,946 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    Funnily enough, the only time that this has ever happened to me was with a Tesco credit card a few years back. Card had to be replaced, and any continuing payment authorities were stopped. It was up to me to contact the companies involved - Tesco Bank wouldn't do it. Quite a nuisance all round.

Maybe just a coincidence, but it's Tesco again this time.
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 5th Feb 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    I got the notice from Tesco too.

Like others I have hardly used it since October, the only places being Tesco Pay at Pump and the Dartford Toll Charge.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Feb 16, 8:01 PM
    • 6,946 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    I got the notice from Tesco too.

Like others I have hardly used it since October, the only places being Tesco Pay at Pump and the Dartford Toll Charge.
    Originally posted by King Of Fools
    I have Tesco Pay at Pump in common with you there!
    • More4me
    • By More4me 5th Feb 16, 8:52 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    More4me
    Tell If I am wrong, If it was an on line retailer then other credit cards providers would be affected as well, on the other hand If the Tesco credit card site is compromised then it will only effect Tesco credit cards
    More
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 5th Feb 16, 9:18 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    Tell If I am wrong, If it was an on line retailer then other credit cards providers would be affected as well, on the other hand If the Tesco credit card site is compromised then it will only effect Tesco credit cards
    Originally posted by More4me
    From the news article:

A Mastercard spokesperson confirmed it had contacted Tesco Bank as a result of the data breach, but said Tesco credit card holders are not the only ones affected.

He said: "This situation is not unique to Mastercard or even Tesco, and weíre not willing to say how many of our cards were put at risk. Ultimately we report these breaches, and it is up to the bank if they want to take preventative measures."

Mastercard has declined to name the online retailer concerned, saying it cannot "legally" identify who it was.

I'm a Tesco credit card holder and have used it in their stores (and also for Pay at Pump) and my card is seemingly unaffected so I'd imagine it's going to affect a few more people yet (with other banks/card schemes).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • marypoppins999
    • By marypoppins999 5th Feb 16, 9:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marypoppins999
    Same happened to me, don't use dartford toll but did use pay at pump a few months ago. Only websites that store my details are amazon and tesco direct. Ive use bargain crazy, sports direct, shell petrol, the white company and john lewis.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 6th Feb 16, 12:38 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Surely pay at pump would not be classed as an online retailer?
    Originally posted by patanne
    Maybe because you are not doing the transaction in front of a person so...

If people have been paying a Tesco's pay pumps, has someone been attaching a skimming thingumabobs to card readers?

I could understand them not telling people about this if it was subject to legal proceedings.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • traceyr
    • By traceyr 6th Feb 16, 6:23 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    traceyr
    The only companies I store my card details and use frequently are Amazon and Tesco, I have used it at other retailers but don't store my details after a previous with another card.
    • marypoppins999
    • By marypoppins999 6th Feb 16, 8:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marypoppins999
    me too
    Ive used Amazon and Tesco direct in the last month too.
    • fawnsinthegarden
    • By fawnsinthegarden 6th Feb 16, 8:09 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    fawnsinthegarden
    I don't think it's a huge mystery, only a few online retailers prompt you to store card details, the ones I can think of are Amazon and Tesco. I had card details stored at Amazon, and not Tesco, and I have not been affected. If I was a betting person I would put all my chips on Tesco.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Feb 16, 9:49 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Very strong rumour in my area that the Penarth Tesco pay at pump system had been compromised about 10 days ago -several people reported problems.You swipe your card to get points EVEN IF you aren't paying with the card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,720Users online

Martin's Twitter