Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 14th Dec 15, 3:36 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Women's state pension petition gathers over 50,000 signatures
    • 14th Dec 15, 3:36 PM
    MSE News: Women's state pension petition gathers over 50,000 signatures 14th Dec 15 at 3:36 PM
    A petition created by Women Against State Pension Inequality has gained more than 55,000 signatures...

Read the full story:

Women's state pension petition gathers over 50,000 signatures

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Paloma; 15-12-2015 at 8:25 AM.
Page 1
    • mystic_trev
    • By mystic_trev 14th Dec 15, 4:01 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    mystic_trev
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:01 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:01 PM
    It always annoyed me that woman live longer and yet got their State Pension at 60. It was an anomaly that had to be sorted, although I agree it's not given many enough time to plan.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 14th Dec 15, 4:04 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:04 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:04 PM
    The main change was legislated for in 1995 and announced earlier which seems plenty long enough to me. The later change (s) were shorter notice so I feel that's where any campaign should put its efforts.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Dec 15, 4:31 PM
    • 14,117 Posts
    • 12,227 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:31 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:31 PM
    Do they see no irony in the name "Women Against State Pension Inequality"
    • mumps
    • By mumps 14th Dec 15, 4:37 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 12,722 Thanks
    mumps
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:37 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:37 PM
    The main change was legislated for in 1995 and announced earlier which seems plenty long enough to me. The later change (s) were shorter notice so I feel that's where any campaign should put its efforts.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    The second change didn't give enough notice to women, it has always mystified me that a 12 month increase in the pension age resulted in some women having their SRP delayed by 18 months.
    Sell 1500

2831.00/1500
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 14th Dec 15, 4:47 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:47 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:47 PM
    The second change didn't give enough notice to women, it has always mystified me that a 12 month increase in the pension age resulted in some women having their SRP delayed by 18 months.
    Originally posted by mumps
    There have certainly been some strange anomalies.
    • JezR
    • By JezR 14th Dec 15, 4:56 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    JezR
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:56 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 4:56 PM
    In effect pension equalisation is achieved by the end of 2018 in the 2011 model, rather than in 2020. After the equalisation the unified age is phased up to 66 by October 2020.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Dec 15, 5:08 PM
    • 6,047 Posts
    • 65,717 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    • 14th Dec 15, 5:08 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 5:08 PM
    I'm a bit puzzled about this petition, because an almost identical one has recently been debated, in November, and the government made it clear that they had no intention of revisiting the arrangements. am I missing something? (I hope so, having been born in October 1953!)
    • mumps
    • By mumps 14th Dec 15, 5:27 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 12,722 Thanks
    mumps
    • 14th Dec 15, 5:27 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 5:27 PM
    I'm a bit puzzled about this petition, because an almost identical one has recently been debated, in November, and the government made it clear that they had no intention of revisiting the arrangements. am I missing something? (I hope so, having been born in October 1953!)
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    We're twins!!!!!!!!
    Sell 1500

2831.00/1500
    • jem16
    • By jem16 14th Dec 15, 5:35 PM
    • 18,671 Posts
    • 11,465 Thanks
    jem16
    Would you cancel Christmas if you could? Let us know below or email news@moneysavingexpert.com. Thanks.
    Originally posted by MSE Paloma
    And is the answer to this state pension inequality to cancel Christmas?
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 14th Dec 15, 5:54 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Do they see no irony in the name "Women Against State Pension Inequality"
    Originally posted by zagfles
    We demand the right the be treated differently to men, as long as different = better!

Out of interest, how much notice were we given regards the age at which you could access private pensions moving from 50 to 55?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • archived user
    Hi

My take on this is that with a retirement age of 60 for females, compared to 65 for males, the female NI stamp was slightly higher to allow for this.

Leave school at 15, work until 65, 50 year pay-in span for us chaps, and 45 years for ladies.

So historical contribution rates were not equal, and no I don't mean for a married woman's option.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Dec 15, 6:46 PM
    • 14,117 Posts
    • 12,227 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hi

My take on this is that with a retirement age of 60 for females, compared to 65 for males, the female NI stamp was slightly higher to allow for this.

Leave school at 15, work until 65, 50 year pay-in span for us chaps, and 45 years for ladies.

So historical contribution rates were not equal, and no I don't mean for a married woman's option.
    Originally posted by johndough
    Really? When were they different? Certainly not since the 80's.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 14th Dec 15, 7:01 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    greenglide
    the female NI stamp was slightly higher to allow for this.
    There gas never a different NI rate for women, certainly not since the late 60s.

What there was, in the days of real stamps and cards, reduced rates for part time staff who worked less than a specified number of hours which would have had a similar effect as part time staff, specially in those days, would have been almost exclusively female.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 14th Dec 15, 7:03 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Put in less, ask for more, demand equality. Nice.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 14th Dec 15, 7:34 PM
    • 40,208 Posts
    • 309,437 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Women Against State Pension Inequality, presumably they want a unified retirement age faster than planned followed by an additional increase in the retirement age for women so that on average both men and women will draw a pension for the same number of years.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 14th Dec 15, 8:40 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    Out of interest, how much notice were we given regards the age at which you could access private pensions moving from 50 to 55?
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    too little, IIRC. which is indeed a similar argument to the main 1 that this campaign is making, that too little notice was given for the SPA changes (the 1s made in 2011). both points are valid.

of course, if we're broadening the question out, from SPA, which has favoured women in the past (though that doesn't justify speeding up the equalization of SPAs with excessively short notice), to pensions generally, then we could mention tax relief on pensions, a colossally expensive tax relief, costing about 50bn a year, most of which goes to higher earners, most of whom are men. might that be indirect sexual discrimination?

what about the "married woman's stamp" (abolished decades ago), which encouraged married women to reduce up their own pension rights (for a short-term NI reduction) on the theory that their husbands' pensions would look after them?

we could go into the entire history of how men and women have been treated differently in pensions and work.

or we could just accept that the point that too little notice was given about accelerating SPA equalization - and about raising it to 66 for everybody - is valid.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 14th Dec 15, 8:54 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    too little, IIRC. which is indeed a similar argument to the main 1 that this campaign is making, that too little notice was given for the SPA changes (the 1s made in 2011). both points are valid.

of course, if we're broadening the question out, from SPA, which has favoured women in the past (though that doesn't justify speeding up the equalization of SPAs with excessively short notice), to pensions generally, then we could mention tax relief on pensions, a colossally expensive tax relief, costing about 50bn a year, most of which goes to higher earners, most of whom are men. might that be indirect sexual discrimination?

what about the "married woman's stamp" (abolished decades ago), which encouraged married women to reduce up their own pension rights (for a short-term NI reduction) on the theory that their husbands' pensions would look after them?

we could go into the entire history of how men and women have been treated differently in pensions and work.

or we could just accept that the point that too little notice was given about accelerating SPA equalization - and about raising it to 66 for everybody - is valid.
    Originally posted by grey gym sock
    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the main thrust of the petition, or I'd have more sympathy with it. Many WASPI supporters are arguing that they didn't know anything about the changes until they retired and that every single woman should have received a personal letter notifying them, a view I have no sympathy with.
    • monkeyspanner
    • By monkeyspanner 14th Dec 15, 9:28 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    monkeyspanner
    Originally posted by mumps
    Essentially it was due to two changes the first was as you say the increase of the pension age from 65 to 66 the second was an acceleration of the original timescale to equalise the state pension age. This meant that some women had their pension age both increased and the schedule accelerated so their pension age was incresed by more than 12months.
    • atush
    • By atush 14th Dec 15, 9:50 PM
    • 17,622 Posts
    • 11,141 Thanks
    atush
    We demand the right the be treated differently to men, as long as different = better!

Originally posted by gadgetmind

long enough to know that even if my OH qualified, he wasnt going to take it as was still working. Good thing he didnt really. Worth quite a bit more now plus the rule change
    Last edited by atush; 15-12-2015 at 7:44 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,109Posts Today

6,690Users online

Martin's Twitter