Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 1st Dec 15, 4:12 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: TalkTalk users can get upgrades such as free Sky Sports or a 12-month Sim
    • 1st Dec 15, 4:12 PM
    MSE News: TalkTalk users can get upgrades such as free Sky Sports or a 12-month Sim 1st Dec 15 at 4:12 PM
    TalkTalk has today started giving out free upgrades to all four million of its customers as a 'thank you'...

Read the full story:

TalkTalk customers can get upgrades including free Sky Sports or a 12-month Sim following data hack

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 1st Dec 15, 5:14 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    • 1st Dec 15, 5:14 PM
    • 1st Dec 15, 5:14 PM
    Thank goodness I left T/Talk a few years ago.

Apart from the mobile phone offer, I don't rate these freebies much.

If I were a T/Talk customer, I would grab one of the deals and wait until my contract expires and then move to another supplier.

For me, I will be intrigued to see what deals T/Talk will be giving to new customers early next year as I will use this to negotiate my renewal with Plusnet.
    • willo65
    • By willo65 1st Dec 15, 8:02 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    willo65
    • 1st Dec 15, 8:02 PM
    • 1st Dec 15, 8:02 PM
    Thought from the start he only upgrade of interest was the TV but disappointed to see it is only for existing TV customers, will definitely be leaving talk talk when contract is up.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 1st Dec 15, 9:12 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 1st Dec 15, 9:12 PM
    • 1st Dec 15, 9:12 PM
    Saying TalkTalk have only agreed to full cancellation from only those that have lost out financially as a result of the hack, this is merely a short term PR exercise for its existing user base. And a poor one at that. Sorting out their security systems in the first place would have been a better one.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 1st Dec 15, 9:18 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 1st Dec 15, 9:18 PM
    • 1st Dec 15, 9:18 PM
    A 12mth mobile Simopen to all customersAny current TalkTalk customer can choose this option – a 12-month mobile Sim. It's very much a value option though, with a monthly allowance of 100 minutes, 250 texts and 200MB of 3G data.
    If you go close to your allowance, it'll send you a text message. If you go over, you'll be charged out-of-bundle fees, which are 40p/minute to call landlines and mobiles, 15p per text message and 15p per MB of data. TalkTalk Mobile piggybacks on the Vodafone network.
    Normally this Sim costs £5/month.

umm , NO its £3.75 per month with 250 minutes , so that deal is worth about £1
    • redux
    • By redux 2nd Dec 15, 6:33 AM
    • 20,080 Posts
    • 28,186 Thanks
    redux
    • 2nd Dec 15, 6:33 AM
    • 2nd Dec 15, 6:33 AM
    Will these offers or any substitutes be also available to any recent ex-customers who may have had their details hacked?
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 2nd Dec 15, 8:42 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 2nd Dec 15, 8:42 AM
    • 2nd Dec 15, 8:42 AM
    I've already got the Value SIM from TalkTalk and my partner just recently purchased a Large SIM for £1.75 per month after automatic cashback. She cancelled her All-in-One Unlimited everything SIM which was costing £12 per month.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • KDH
    • By KDH 2nd Dec 15, 11:23 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    KDH
    • 2nd Dec 15, 11:23 AM
    • 2nd Dec 15, 11:23 AM
    It's not clear if you are already paying for unlimited calls whether you can "upgrade" to this and get it free for 12 months. ????
    • DoesntEnjoyCapitalism
    • By DoesntEnjoyCapitalism 2nd Dec 15, 3:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    DoesntEnjoyCapitalism
    • 2nd Dec 15, 3:00 PM
    • 2nd Dec 15, 3:00 PM
    The offers are all rubbish and not worth it.

My advice would be to negotiate hard for a retentions deal if you are out of contract or coming to the end. If you're in contract then threaten to cancel/buy out of it and see what you get.

Only claim the "gift" after you've done that and then my advice would be to claim the "free" broadband checkup and that is soley fr the reason that they'll be sending a self employed contractor to your home. It will likely be the greatest cost for TalkTalk, hitting them in the wallet and it will also give someone a small amount (underpaid) work so at least some good comes out of it.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 4th Dec 15, 10:30 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    suejb2
    TalkTalk
    I've been with TT for a few years and in the most things have been o.k.Telephoned earlier to redeem their upgrade. From the four on offer I chose unlimited UK landline or mobile calls. As I already have Anytime Boost they couldn't/ wouldn't upgrade because it's a service I have.

Do you think I can cancel this boost today and phone tomorrow to upgrade? Their promotion states 'without strings'
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 5th Dec 15, 5:00 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    I've been with TT for a few years and in the most things have been o.k.Telephoned earlier to redeem their upgrade. From the four on offer I chose unlimited UK landline or mobile calls. As I already have Anytime Boost they couldn't/ wouldn't upgrade because it's a service I have.

Do you think I can cancel this boost today and phone tomorrow to upgrade? Their promotion states 'without strings'
    Originally posted by suejb2

The answer would seem to be, "Yes". There's no time limit quoted in the T&Cs and TT have just confirmed to me that, if you cancel a Boost, after the 24 hours it can take for their system to update, you can then activate the Boost again.

To me, it speaks volumes that TT haven't made this as clear as they should and could have.
    Last edited by Steve059; 09-12-2015 at 4:11 PM.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • Keep_The_Change
    • By Keep_The_Change 5th Dec 15, 6:31 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Keep_The_Change
    Can someone help me with some questions?

I have been a talktalk broadband customer for approx 4 years.
    Does this mean I'm out of contract now?

If I were to accept the sim offer does that mean I'd be tying myself up again into a contract eg. Renewing for another year?

IF I am out contract and I still accept the sim, can I cancel my broadband within the next 12 months and leave them while keeping the sim? (I ask this as I've been shopping around for a new bb supplier anyway)

Thanks
    if i had known then what i know now
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 9th Dec 15, 4:08 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    I've just to tried to organise the Anytime Calls Boost.

The screen says ...

"Anytime Calls Boost - 12 months for no extra cost."
    "FREE for 12 months".

However, it then goes on to say "In 3 months time, we'll simply remove it from your account with no strings attached."

Typical [CENSORED] TalkTalk.
    Last edited by Steve059; 09-12-2015 at 4:10 PM.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Dec 15, 4:16 PM
    • 43,580 Posts
    • 18,715 Thanks
    macman
    The answer would seem to be, "Yes". There's no time limit quoted in the T&Cs and TT have just confirmed to me that, if you cancel a Boost, after the 24 hours it can take for their system to update, you can then activate the Boost again.

To me, it speaks volumes that TT haven't made this as clear as they should and could have.
    Originally posted by Steve059
    I tried to do this today by live chat for my MIL, who has a phone only TT service. Like the above poster, she already has Anytime calls at £7.50pm, so I asked to have this as free for the next 12m. Was told this was not possible as she already had Anytime. All she can have is a broadband health check (no broadband) or free mobile SIM and minutes (no mobile). So I suggested downgrading the Anytime Boost to evening, or evening and weekend only calls, and then reapplying the Anytime boost as a free upgrade. Was told this was not possible either as the Anytime boost was not a boost but a call plan, and that the free upgrades were only available on the same call plan (nowhere is this mentioned on the website free upgrade page). I then suggested changing call plan-was told this might take 14 days or more and then she'd be outside the free upgrade deadline of 31/12! And possibly incur a new connection charge (for changing a call plan?!)
    I then finally suggested that they give a credit of £90 to cover the one year cost of the apparently unobtainable free upgrade. After some delay I was offered...a £10 goodwill credit! Thanks a bunch, Dido.
    Adviser then logged a complaint and promised a call from a senior manager...I'm not holding my breath.
    I can't decide if this is just the usual TT call centre shambles, or whether they are deliberately trying to make the process as opaque as possible to put people off bothering. This futile exchange wasted the best part of an hour.
    I can't even see what is on offer in her online account, as that still requires you to log in from a TT internet connection, which neither she nor I have. And the mobile app is still disabled.
    You really couldn't make this up. It reminds me why I left TT about five years ago. I thought they had improved since then, but clearly I got that wrong.
    No doubt the TT company rep will be keeping a low profile on here for a while...
    Last edited by macman; 09-12-2015 at 4:30 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Dec 15, 4:24 PM
    • 6,119 Posts
    • 26,828 Thanks
    Mirů
    I've just to tried to organise the Anytime Calls Boost.

The screen says ...

"Anytime Calls Boost - 12 months for no extra cost."
    "FREE for 12 months".

However, it then goes on to say "In 3 months time, we'll simply remove it from your account with no strings attached."

Typical [CENSORED] TalkTalk.
    Originally posted by Steve059
    Just tried to do the same!!!!!! So, what is it - 12 months or a measly 3 months???

(Someone on the TalkTalk Community site says that when you click on the offer and it is confirmed it will say it is for 12 months....but who knows)
    Last edited by Mirů; 09-12-2015 at 4:35 PM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • gs1647
    • By gs1647 11th Dec 15, 6:14 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    gs1647
    Having recently cancelled my sky, I took up the option of free sky sports for 3 months and I am very pleased, saved me a lot money. I only had the essentials tv package at no additional cost to my existing broadband and phones package (only had to sign up for 2 years and will go elsewhere when it expires in April 2016), received a free box and £70 vouchers. For all the negative publicity they've had, I've done very well with my talktalk package and no complaints about the service.
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 14th Dec 15, 4:25 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi

If you have any questions or queries about how the free upgrade options may affect you please contact us on the dedicated help line on the upgrade page You can also tweet us @TalkTalkCare or message us on our online community which can be found on our website.

Thanks

Vicky
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 15th Dec 15, 10:33 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    mrochester
    The upgrade I want (Anytime UK calls boost) isn't available to me because I already have this package. I want to reduce the amount I pay per month, not take on something else I don't need/want. The only reason I was sticking with Talk Talk was to get this package for free for 12 months and now they've decided I can't have it, despite initially advertising it as one of the available deals.

Time to leave.
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Dec 15, 11:26 AM
    • 43,580 Posts
    • 18,715 Thanks
    macman
    Remove the Anytime boost by phone or Live Chat. Dont' mention freee upgrades. Wait 24 hours and then see if the free Anytime upgrade appears on the upgrade page on your online account, if so, apply it.
    If this doesn't work, you have lost nothing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 16th Dec 15, 9:41 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    so very confused
    Speak to the loyalty team. I cancelled my call package and they put the free upgrade on immediately. I had to phone them as they were not showing this as an option on my account as I already had it, but they did sort it.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

888Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter