Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 814man
    • By 814man 4th Nov 15, 4:11 PM
    • 379Posts
    • 378Thanks
    814man
    0 WOW
    Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled
    • 4th Nov 15, 4:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled 4th Nov 15 at 4:11 PM
    Well this changes things:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34724604
    UK government now saying aircraft may have been brought down by an explosive device.

"All flights due to leave the holiday resort for Britain this evening have been delayed to allow a team of UK experts to assess security"
    Last edited by 814man; 04-11-2015 at 4:17 PM.
Page 2
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Nov 15, 11:06 AM
    • 39,040 Posts
    • 162,691 Thanks
    silvercar
    So possible options to return, for those in urgent need of getting back:

1. Boat trip to Hurghada and then flight with Monarch/ Easyjet
    2. Coach/ taxi to Cairo and flight from there
    3. Taxi to Eilat, crossing the border into Israel and then either Ryan air via Kaunas, Lithuania or internal flight (or coach) to Tel Aviv and direct from there.

All would turn this into a decent two centre holiday, but in terms of getting back easily they are probably in the right order.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 5th Nov 15, 11:47 AM
    • 5,163 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Airlines and flights other than those of UK have been operating normally until just now - the Dutch government has advised its citizens not to use Sharm el Sheik airport.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Irish airlines have been ordered not to use Sharm el-Sheikh or the Sinai peninsular airspace.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irish-aviation-authority-directs-irish-airlines-to-avoid-sinai-peninsula-34171333.html
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 5th Nov 15, 12:23 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Flights to and from UK and Sharm el-Sheikh suspended: your rights
    Holidaymakers have been left in the lurch after UK flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt have been suspended...

Read the full story:

Flights to and from UK and Sharm el-Sheikh suspended: your rights

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Paloma; 05-11-2015 at 1:23 PM.
    • Lambassador
    • By Lambassador 5th Nov 15, 1:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lambassador
    Just called AXA travel insurance re: claiming for lost accommodation costs due to cancelled flights to Sharm and they told me I wouldn't be covered due to it being cancelled because of terrorism.

I understand that this is a common exclusion on insurance policies. Do I have any come back on the insurance company for this?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 5th Nov 15, 1:18 PM
    • 11,993 Posts
    • 7,835 Thanks
    Caz3121
    have you read the full story in the post above yours?
    • Lambassador
    • By Lambassador 5th Nov 15, 1:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lambassador
    Yes, however it just states that recovering accommodation costs may be difficult and that insurance may not pay out if they rule it to be terrorism. I have checked my policy and it does include cancellation cover.

My thoughts are that this is more due to a change of FCO travel advice rather than an (unconfirmed) act of terrorism. I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any lines of argument I could try with the insurer rather than just accepting their verdict as final.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Nov 15, 1:35 PM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 13,711 Thanks
    Cardew
    So possible options to return, for those in urgent need of getting back:

1. Boat trip to Hurghada and then flight with Monarch/ Easyjet
    2. Coach/ taxi to Cairo and flight from there
    3. Taxi to Eilat, crossing the border into Israel and then either Ryan air via Kaunas, Lithuania or internal flight (or coach) to Tel Aviv and direct from there.

All would turn this into a decent two centre holiday, but in terms of getting back easily they are probably in the right order.
    Originally posted by silvercar

On the BBC it ruled out your option 2 as the route passes through/near territory where IS operate.
    • Tashahulme17
    • By Tashahulme17 5th Nov 15, 2:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tashahulme17
    Cancelled Egypt Trip...
    Was wondering if anyone can help... Booked via Travel Republic in Sept to fly to sharm on saturday 7th.. Since the above has happened we called Travel Republic to see what they could do. We agreed go transfer the holiday to Agadir... We have firstly had to pay an extra 300 as the cost was more ( even tho the hotel
    Is a lesser star!). We agreed to pay this over the phone even though i still dont think that is correct. I was told the payment had all gone through and would get an email. Next minute they ring to say the airline ( monarch) have in reased the rate by an extra 198. So now we are 500 out of pocket due to no fault of out own. Asked TR is they would cancel but advised the hotel was nob refundable so either way we were losing out. Do i have any leg to stand on to claim compensation via travel republic or abta?? Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Nov 15, 3:08 PM
    • 18,968 Posts
    • 8,005 Thanks
    richardw
    Was wondering if anyone can help... Booked via Travel Republic in Sept to fly to sharm on saturday 7th.. Since the above has happened we called Travel Republic to see what they could do. We agreed go transfer the holiday to Agadir... We have firstly had to pay an extra 300 as the cost was more ( even tho the hotel
    Is a lesser star!). We agreed to pay this over the phone even though i still dont think that is correct. I was told the payment had all gone through and would get an email. Next minute they ring to say the airline ( monarch) have in reased the rate by an extra 198. So now we are 500 out of pocket due to no fault of out own. Asked TR is they would cancel but advised the hotel was nob refundable so either way we were losing out. Do i have any leg to stand on to claim compensation via travel republic or abta?? Thanks
    Originally posted by Tashahulme17
    Did you book a Monarch package holiday?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Poppie68
    • By Poppie68 5th Nov 15, 3:49 PM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Poppie68
    Abta have Said independent travellers would have to rely on their travel insurance or hotel to try for a refund but airlines don't have a liability to refund more than the flight costs.
    Travellers who booked package holidays are covered for full refund or change of holiday.
    Last edited by Poppie68; 05-11-2015 at 4:26 PM.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 5th Nov 15, 3:55 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 26,309 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Unfortunately, IMHO, I don't think that you have much of a leg to stand on. Travel Republic is not a tour operator. They don't arrange or create combinations of travel products; they simply facilitate your connection to those who do provide or arrange travel products.

Their T&C clearly state that "If your booking is with an airline listed in Appendix 1 you are the principal and you are authorising us to act as your agent in arranging that booking". Monarch Airlines are listed in Appendix 1.

So, basically, it appears that, prior to TR confirming your new booking with Monarch Airlines, on your behalf, for the flight only, Monarch have, allegedly, increased the cost by 198.00. Remember, TR are acting as your agent and you are the principal.

The T&C also state that "Your booking is not confirmed until you receive a booking confirmation". It sounds like you haven't received a confirmation of the change you agreed.

As for the hotel, the T&C for TR are quite clear that, "irrespective of the various products you book, for example a flight booking or a hotel booking, each booking is a separate booking and your bookings, even though they may be linked to the same dates of travel, do not constitute a package". Therefore, if the hotel booking is non-refundable, it's probably going to be a problem, should you wish to cancel.

To be honest, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but personally would never book through such a company, but that, of course is no help to you, and I'm trying to be helpful.

Unless anyone else can give any more positive advice, I'd just "bite the bullet" on this one! Maybe I'm completely wrong and will, of course, accept anyone else's, more experienced viewpoint.

Another option, I guess, is to still go for a cancellation (if you haven't yet agreed to pay the extra charge for the flight), but ask TR what the cancellation of the hotel booking will cost you, if you do.

You can of course try a claim on your insurance as well, but I doubt it will help.
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 05-11-2015 at 4:20 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • HoofeHearted
    • By HoofeHearted 5th Nov 15, 4:51 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    HoofeHearted
    Latest update here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34739343

3 airlines set to fly out to bring Brits back home.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Nov 15, 5:06 PM
    • 39,040 Posts
    • 162,691 Thanks
    silvercar
    Easyjet passengers returning will be restricted to minimal hand baggage only, luggage will follow separately.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/sharm-el-sheikh
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Nov 15, 7:09 PM
    • 39,040 Posts
    • 162,691 Thanks
    silvercar
    On the BBC it ruled out your option 2 as the route passes through/near territory where IS operate.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    EgyptAir fly Sharm to Cairo.
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 5th Nov 15, 7:44 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    lea2012
    Your hotel voucher will tell you who your accommodation supplier is. I would suggest contacting them direct to find out whether or not they are refunding travel Republic. If you find out that travel Republic have been refunded then legally they are obliged to give that money to you as they're acting as a principal and not an agent so any refund belongs to you not them. They can charge an administrative fee which I think is about 50pp but that's it.
    They'll rely on you not finding out about a refund though but you can always try to find out. The supplier on your list may not be the final supplier though as there may be three or more suppliers involved but it's worth digging to find out.
    Lea :confused:
    • nicolakate
    • By nicolakate 5th Nov 15, 10:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nicolakate
    So update from me!!
    10.30am very cheap holidays customer service called to cancel. I advised 10 other possible holiday choices we would like said from any uk airport over 4 days. 17.30 tonight I was called by sales support saying customer service had closed although my holiday was AI they could only offer B&B now.
    I said I had found a holiday and VCH was also advertising could we look at that and compromise on price.
    I was then told that holiday was gone due to high demand because of the situation. I then asked why this wasn't dealt with sooner to be told customer service were busy and when they left at 17.30 it was handed to the sales team to sort out.
    Nothing like leaving a sinking ship hey, upshot another holiday isn't looking good for me unless I will pay another 1k which if it had been booked say at 15.00 was cheaper I was told this was due to demand.
    my complaint is now in the hands of head office.
    im flabbergasted head office and customer service left for home leaving the sales team to deal with it all nothing like team work.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 6th Nov 15, 5:39 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    stephb34
    So update from me!!
    10.30am very cheap holidays customer service called to cancel. I advised 10 other possible holiday choices we would like said from any uk airport over 4 days. 17.30 tonight I was called by sales support saying customer service had closed although my holiday was AI they could only offer B&B now.
    I said I had found a holiday and VCH was also advertising could we look at that and compromise on price.
    I was then told that holiday was gone due to high demand because of the situation. I then asked why this wasn't dealt with sooner to be told customer service were busy and when they left at 17.30 it was handed to the sales team to sort out.
    Nothing like leaving a sinking ship hey, upshot another holiday isn't looking good for me unless I will pay another 1k which if it had been booked say at 15.00 was cheaper I was told this was due to demand.
    my complaint is now in the hands of head office.
    im flabbergasted head office and customer service left for home leaving the sales team to deal with it all nothing like team work.
    Originally posted by nicolakate
    Get your money back and book elsewhere on the high street far easier than dealing with one of these companies over the telephone who's flights aren't live.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 6th Nov 15, 6:01 AM
    • 5,796 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    If they were even competent, they would not have booked the hotel until they had confirmed the flights.
    You may still have to pay this meanwhile, but make it clear you feel t is unfair and you are doing so under protest.
    I find it impossible to believe a small claims court would not find in your favour.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 6th Nov 15, 7:10 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    EgyptAir fly Sharm to Cairo.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    KLM are advising their Cairo-Amstsrdam passengers that they will only be able to travel with hand luggage only.
    • nicolakate
    • By nicolakate 6th Nov 15, 10:01 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nicolakate
    Get your money back and book elsewhere on the high street far easier than dealing with one of these companies over the telephone who's flights aren't live.
    Originally posted by stephb34

I gave asked and was told it would take 3-5 full working days so we wouldn't get our money back until next Friday, sadly and like most we don't have the disposable income to book another holiday without getting the refund first.
    Ive had it now sick of being palmed off with excuses, I understand how busy they must be but common sense would say get a team to deal with people over there and one to deal with people who have had holidays cancelled. Head office staff and customer service staff shouldn't be leaving sales staff to deal with the backlash.
    I guess some don't have common sense.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

952Posts Today

6,100Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin