Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 22nd Oct 15, 9:11 PM
    • 4,400Posts
    • 3,831Thanks
    Old Git
    TalkTalk website hit by cyber-attack
    • 22nd Oct 15, 9:11 PM
    TalkTalk website hit by cyber-attack 22nd Oct 15 at 9:11 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

For updated info from MSE read our MSE News story: Talk Talk website hacked: what you need to do now

Back to the original post...

--------------------------------

Police are investigating after a "significant and sustained cyber-attack" on the TalkTalk website, the UK company has confirmed.
    The phone and broadband provider, which has over 4 million customers in the UK, said credit card and bank details could have been accessed.
    The Metropolitan Police Cyber Crime Unit is investigating the attack which happened on Wednesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34611857
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 27-10-2015 at 8:33 AM.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
Page 3
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 23rd Oct 15, 8:41 AM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 4,378 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    agreed mikey , i have only been with them 2 weeks , i would leave in a heartbeat if i could

clowns
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • enfield freddy
    • By enfield freddy 23rd Oct 15, 8:43 AM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    enfield freddy
    Still the big question is... Do i have the right to cancel without charge?
    It's laughable that I ask that question because if anything I should be charging them!!
    Originally posted by mikeymatteo

no! they clearly state that this is a criminal act performed on THEM , they are the grieved party , not the general public

no "fines" etc cos its a criminal act on THEM

please change your password , the site has been down for almost 48 hrs , allowing access to our info .

bit like loosing your debit card with a piece of paper with your pin number on it , and not reporting it for 48 hrs , who,s guilty the "magic fairies"
    • mikeymatteo
    • By mikeymatteo 23rd Oct 15, 8:44 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mikeymatteo
    I don't see how we couldn't leave them.
    They have not encrypted our data, and because of this we have a data protection issue, caused by them.
    So under the data protection act we must have something.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 23rd Oct 15, 8:47 AM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 50,166 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Talk Talk have 4 million customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

I'm a Talk Talk customer, I have my broadband with them - I was migrated over from AOL. When I opened my Talk Talk account, I certainly don't recall giving my date of birth. I pay by direct debit, so they only have my sort code and account number, which would be on a cheque anyway. So even if these hackers have access to my details I don't think they can actually do anything with them.

We need to remember that Talk Talk have been the victim of a crime. Do you normally blame the victim of the crime? Or the criminal?

As has already been said, i wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job, someone who knew the way into the system.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • vision2009
    • By vision2009 23rd Oct 15, 8:47 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    vision2009
    The T.T share price should go through the floor.
    An absolute shambles and they are not fit for purpose.
    • Diane60
    • By Diane60 23rd Oct 15, 8:54 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Diane60
    Talk Talk have 4 million customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

I'm a Talk Talk customer, I have my broadband with them - I was migrated over from AOL. When I opened my Talk Talk account, I certainly don't recall giving my date of birth. I pay by direct debit, so they only have my sort code and account number, which would be on a cheque anyway. So even if these hackers have access to my details I don't think they can actually do anything with them.

We need to remember that Talk Talk have been the victim of a crime. Do you normally blame the victim of the crime? Or the criminal?

As has already been said, i wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job, someone who knew the way into the system.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl

They have been the victim of a crime, the same way if I had my purse taken from my open handbag, which was on view to everyone and I am walking down Oxford Street.
    They had a duty of care to protect our data, this is what we were paying for.
    A lot of people out there are wondering what they can do to protect their identity now. Any answers?
    • fermi
    • By fermi 23rd Oct 15, 9:02 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    If a victim has become a victim through their own negligence, then they have to shoulder a significant part of the blame.

We don't have any reliable technical details of the hack yet, so it's hard to assess right now.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 23rd Oct 15, 9:13 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: TalkTalk website hacked: what you need to do now
    Millions of TalkTalk customers should change their passwords now after its website was hacked earlier this week...

Read the full story:

TalkTalk website hacked: what you need to do now

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• Babbler
    • By Babbler 23rd Oct 15, 9:18 AM
    • 3,047 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    Babbler
    They have potentially got all the details you gave talk talk to open an account with them... so they could use that to open other accounts in other companies in your name with potentially a different address.

Talk Talk have 4 million
    customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

Being bored is so boring Im bored of it...
    • enfield freddy
    • By enfield freddy 23rd Oct 15, 9:23 AM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    enfield freddy
    Millions of TalkTalk customers should change their passwords now after its website was hacked earlier this week...

Read the full story:

TalkTalk website hacked: what you need to do now

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Originally posted by MSE Paloma

your report of this , as actually faster than the email from talk talk

did you read about it on breakfast TV?
    • joe134
    • By joe134 23rd Oct 15, 9:25 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    joe134

Ditto.
    I'm looking to get a renew my contract now,as this should give me a bit of leverage. Might as well buy a new VW at the same time
    I bet Sky deals et.al soon come down, mass migration due.
    it's an ill wind ;;;;;;;;;;;and all that
    Last edited by joe134; 23-10-2015 at 9:28 AM.
    • Guinness81
    • By Guinness81 23rd Oct 15, 9:35 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Guinness81
    I too am a customer. No contact from them so far. My contract ends in April and I would also like to jump ship. Luckily I've just switched back accounts and haven't told them the new details yet.
    Wishlist Gaming PC, Cash, gadgets, BBQ, Treats for the wife and kids
    Best wins to date Five nights at Universal Studios Florida, Surround sound system (rrp £900), iPad
    • joe134
    • By joe134 23rd Oct 15, 9:41 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    joe134
    I too am a customer. No contact from them so far. My contract ends in April and I would also like to jump ship. Luckily I've just switched back accounts and haven't told them the new details yet.
    Originally posted by Guinness81
    like the titanic, there aint enough life boats for those trying to jump ship now.
    women and children first, unless you have money.
    • kennyjosiah
    • By kennyjosiah 23rd Oct 15, 9:42 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    kennyjosiah
    We left talktalk last June would our account details be affected too ??
    • Crystal_Green
    • By Crystal_Green 23rd Oct 15, 9:42 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Crystal_Green
    I've heard nothing from them and you can't get into your account to change the password, at least I know this password is not on anything else.

Always look on the bright side of life...
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 23rd Oct 15, 10:02 AM
    • 9,540 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I am a TalkTalk customer of many years - and am worried by the potential affect of this...

I don't trust the company one iota - considering the lack of any encryption of our personal data
    Plus - they claim to have notified every customer - I have received nothing (or on the previous two similar events)
    This is the third time that this has happened this year and may not be the last
    Why do these companies not learn from their mistakes ?
    How do we start the process of getting free credit checks ?
    And also claim compensation from TalkTalk for the time taken (and worry) to deal with this ?

They say "Change your password" - how ?
    TalkTalk's website is STILL not accessible !!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 23rd Oct 15, 10:04 AM
    • 9,540 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    We left talktalk last June would our account details be affected too ??
    Originally posted by kennyjosiah
    They hang on to your details for years - so possibly yes !
    • enfield freddy
    • By enfield freddy 23rd Oct 15, 10:05 AM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    enfield freddy
    I am a TalkTalk customer of many years - and am worried by the potential affect of this...

I don't trust the company one iota - considering the lack of any encryption of our personal data
    Plus - they claim to have notified every customer - I have received nothing (or on the previous two similar events)
    This is the third time that this has happened this year and may not be the last
    Why do these companies not learn from their mistakes ?
    How do we start the process of getting free credit checks ?
    And also claim compensation from TalkTalk for the time taken (and worry) to deal with this ?

They say "Change your password" - how ?
    TalkTalk's website is STILL not accessible
    !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

correct , almost 48 hrs after the event
    • Double V
    • By Double V 23rd Oct 15, 10:08 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Double V
    And now Sky is going to raise their prices.
    Watch it.
    • SallyG
    • By SallyG 23rd Oct 15, 10:31 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    SallyG
    We read about the previous attacks and decided if anyone would now be equipped to repel boarders - after those attacks - tightening up security max-encryption etc - it would be talktalk - so we switched to their cheap deal.
    Still no email and no way to change password.
    Are companies who store enough details online to enable fraudsters to steal your id compelled to encrypt those details?
    Is cheap deal code for no security?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,655Users online

Martin's Twitter