Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 16th Oct 15, 9:14 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Giffgaff tops mobile phone customer service poll
    • 16th Oct 15, 9:14 AM
    MSE News: Giffgaff tops mobile phone customer service poll 16th Oct 15 at 9:14 AM
    Smaller mobile phone providers Giffgaff, Tesco Mobile and Asda Mobile have been voted best for customer service...

Read the full story:

Giffgaff tops mobile phone customer service poll as piggyback providers beat the big boys

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Oct 15, 9:51 AM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,209 Thanks
    redux
    • 16th Oct 15, 9:51 AM
    • 16th Oct 15, 9:51 AM
    I'm amused by these polls, so many people apparently having to contact customer services.

Are there any surveys asking how many times you've needed to contact them in what time, and how many people don't actually know because they've never contacted them?

giffgaff's hypothesis is that the customers themselves can help with many of the things that arise. When you look at the huge volume of queries on their community, the amount of payback they stump up for redundant multiple answers to the same questions again and again, the number of staff keeping the forum in order, one wonders if it is working out quite as streamlined and cheap to run as they may have originally projected.
    Last edited by redux; 16-10-2015 at 9:53 AM.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 16th Oct 15, 12:27 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 16th Oct 15, 12:27 PM
    • 16th Oct 15, 12:27 PM
    Giffgaff has better coverage than o2, flawed poll
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Oct 15, 2:47 PM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 5,289 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Oct 15, 2:47 PM
    • 16th Oct 15, 2:47 PM
    Giffgaff has better coverage than o2, flawed poll
    Originally posted by Futuristic
    That is a bit idiotic, the o2 MVNOs, Giffgaff and Tesco are 1 and 2 for coverage and their actual network o2 comes in at 9.

Even worse, they have lumped the new EE network in with T-Mobile and Orange customers and decided that the network the whole industry is envious of only places at number 8 while the coverage on EE MVNO is rated number 3.

It looks like someone just put all the names in a hat and then pulled them out one by one as a list.
    Last edited by d123; 16-10-2015 at 4:48 PM.
    ====
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 16th Oct 15, 3:00 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,855 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 16th Oct 15, 3:00 PM
    • 16th Oct 15, 3:00 PM
    Unsurprised that Vodafone was the worst. Terrible customer service with reprsentatives bordering on cynical and rude. They cannot acknowledge or reply to a letter they sign for. Just my experiance but the results here speak for themselves.

Can't say I noticed any difference with their ££££ spending claims on customer service. Glad to drop them. Would never go back.
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 16th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    diamonds
    • 16th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    • 16th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    Dont you need customer service to win it ?
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    • By RightyTightyLeftyLoosey 16th Oct 15, 7:37 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    • 16th Oct 15, 7:37 PM
    • 16th Oct 15, 7:37 PM
    Completely agree. I've had to deal with CS over the last few months after a big mistake on my account - first time I've had cause to ring them for about 5 years and it is shockingly bad. Reminds me of briefly having a business phone on Three a few years ago.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Oct 15, 10:27 AM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 6,289 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th Oct 15, 10:27 AM
    • 17th Oct 15, 10:27 AM
    Second poll with Giffgaff top i have seen this week . Top on the yearly PC Pro readers survey .
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 17th Oct 15, 1:58 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 17th Oct 15, 1:58 PM
    • 17th Oct 15, 1:58 PM
    That is a bit idiotic, the o2 MVNOs, Giffgaff and Tesco are 1 and 2 for coverage and their actual network o2 comes in at 9.

Even worse, they have lumped the new EE network in with T-Mobile and Orange customers and decided that the network the whole industry is envious of only places at number 8 while the coverage on EE MVNO is rated number 3.

It looks like someone just put all the names in a hat and then pulled them out one by one as a list.
    Originally posted by d123
    Or that people on MVNOs are more likely to be on pay as you go so don't stick around if coverage is poor.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 17th Oct 15, 2:11 PM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 3,411 Thanks
    victor2
    Giffgaff doesn't have any customer service - it's "the mobile network run by you". The community of other users is where you get support.
    I find its coverage is about the same as O2, oddly enough...
    • redux
    • By redux 17th Oct 15, 4:29 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,209 Thanks
    redux
    Giffgaff doesn't have any customer service - it's "the mobile network run by you". The community of other users is where you get support.
    I find its coverage is about the same as O2, oddly enough...
    Originally posted by victor2
    Not always. For some issues, like a SIM card not working, and the replacement no improvement, the staff need to do it. At that stage they may be as good or bad as other companies.
    • MasterMan
    • By MasterMan 17th Oct 15, 8:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MasterMan
    I realise this poll isn't perfect, but I would say it shows the general consensus of people I know. Vodafone is regarded as pretty poor service and those with Giffgaff (most of my family) tend to not need assistance because of their way of working.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 17th Oct 15, 9:11 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,855 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Vodafone seem to consistently be in the firing line for complaints on here and all over the web. There was a thread on their own website where a large number of people seemed to be without service due to number porting. One poster even said happy first birthday porting nightmare thread on the upside I only have a year to go before I can dump Vodafone. So even after a year people were still having problems with porting alone.

One thing that irritaed me with them was they would "escalate" the issue and promised a call back on numerous occasions which never materialised and whenever I asked why it hadn't happened I was told there was no record.

I do wonder if Vodafone treat their customers such as the NHS like that as they have the NHS mobile contract. Or do they reserve the rag order customer service to just us?
    Last edited by A Flock Of Sheep; 17-10-2015 at 9:13 PM.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 18th Oct 15, 1:46 AM
    • 9,741 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    Giffgaff customers receive £10 (temporarily increased from £5) for referring a customer to giffgaff so unsurprisingly the recommendations are pretty good.

If you actually read their forums you'll see the regular threads about poor customer service, which inevitably get shot down by forum members who are paid depending on their "contribution" to the forum each month.

Their data throughput leaves a lot to be desired. Again - plenty of posts on their forums but they are shot down by people who claim their data speeds are brilliant. Imagine telling your GP you are experiencing knee pain only to be told that his/her knees are fine.

Giffgaff is no longer competitive. Three PAYG (link) is a more competitive option for low usage customers. Post Office Mobile (link) offers more for £5 and £10 a month than giffgaff.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• pmduk
    • By pmduk 18th Oct 15, 3:24 PM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    pmduk

I do wonder if Vodafone treat their customers such as the NHS like that as they have the NHS mobile contract. Or do they reserve the rag order customer service to just us?
    Originally posted by A Flock Of Sheep
    I know of a couple of businesses that have moved their business because of the lack of vodafone customer service
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 18th Oct 15, 4:05 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    diamonds
    I know of a couple of businesses that have moved their business because of the lack of vodafone customer service
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Well the same call centres do 3UK, 3Ire and 3 AU care and they are no longer owned by Hutchison who sold on 3 Global arm of the Hutch group. When 3 AU and Voda AU merged Business customer care was provided by them aswell.

Not that Voda UK based third party is much better.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • minislim
    • By minislim 19th Oct 15, 11:44 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    minislim
    my suspicions about O2 appear to be right. Giff gaff do have much better service coverage than O2 even though they piggy back.
    i suspect that O2 have neglected their older 3G customers and concentrated more on 4G thats rubbish, wasteful priority moments nonsence and waste of money "dog/cat" adverts.

thats why you're at the bottom of the poll O2.

just watch this space now! i predict O2 spits its dummy out with giff gaff like vodafone did with sainsburys!
    • kingrulzuk
    • By kingrulzuk 19th Oct 15, 12:28 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    kingrulzuk
    Is MSE gone mad. How much did they get paid by GiffGaff?
    What happens if you push this button?
    • d123
    • By d123 19th Oct 15, 12:59 PM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 5,289 Thanks
    d123
    my suspicions about O2 appear to be right. Giff gaff do have much better service coverage than O2 even though they piggy back.
    i suspect that O2 have neglected their older 3G customers and concentrated more on 4G thats rubbish, wasteful priority moments nonsence and waste of money "dog/cat" adverts.

Originally posted by minislim
    You do realise just how technologically impossible your statement is?
    ====
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 19th Oct 15, 7:23 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    diamonds

just watch this space now! i predict O2 spits its dummy out with giff gaff like vodafone did with sainsburys!
    Originally posted by minislim
    Erm, erm....

No just NO!

GG being 100% owned by o2 cant have better coverage, it certainly should not even be on a poll for customer service when it does not have one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

922Posts Today

7,287Users online

Martin's Twitter