Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Oct 15, 9:42 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sainsbury's to axe its mobile service: What it means for you
    • 15th Oct 15, 9:42 AM
    MSE News: Sainsbury's to axe its mobile service: What it means for you 15th Oct 15 at 9:42 AM
    Supermarket Sainsbury's is axing its mobile phone service in a move affecting around 150,000 customers...

Read the full story:

Sainsbury's to axe its mobile service: What it means for you

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 15th Oct 15, 9:47 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    • 15th Oct 15, 9:47 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 9:47 AM
    Oi Helen, what did you do with the original thread from yesterday?
    Why have you started a new, blank one?
    • eagle
    • By eagle 15th Oct 15, 10:03 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    • 15th Oct 15, 10:03 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 10:03 AM
    Originally posted by MikeWhite
    I second that!
    Just tried to follow a link to it from another thread and can't find it. Why have you removed it? There are lots of comments in that thread that might be useful to some people!

Can't you just merge that thread with Helen's?
    • redux
    • By redux 15th Oct 15, 11:07 AM
    • 20,082 Posts
    • 28,186 Thanks
    redux
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:07 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:07 AM
    Helen's previous post on this subject was number 41 on the now deleted thread.

Last night (edit: and early this morning, according to another comment) the link at the bottom of the related MSE article was still pointing to the by then hidden thread.

This may be a slightly controversial viewpoint, but perhaps some people might view the deletion of the previous discussion as showing a lack of respect for the those contributions.
    Last edited by redux; 15-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Oct 15, 11:16 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,407 Thanks
    victor2
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:16 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:16 AM
    The Sainsbury's axe swings far and wide?...
    • santiago102
    • By santiago102 15th Oct 15, 11:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    santiago102
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:22 AM
    My post has vanished!
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:22 AM
    I posted yesterday at about 9pm and received a useful answer about other providers. Now I cannot find this or my original posting - it is not even under my personal listings. Fortunately I noted the website I needed but others may not have done so.
    • MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 15th Oct 15, 11:23 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:23 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:23 AM
    Helen's post was number 41 on the now deleted thread.

Last night the link at the bottom of the related MSE article was still pointing to the by then hidden thread.

This may be a slightly controversial viewpoint, but perhaps some people might view the deletion of the previous discussion as showing a lack of respect for the those contributions.
    Originally posted by redux

I certainly take it poorly. Why should I bother contributing if threads are going to be deleted for no apparent reason. In fact, until we get an answer I don't think I will.
    • redux
    • By redux 15th Oct 15, 11:30 AM
    • 20,082 Posts
    • 28,186 Thanks
    redux
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:30 AM
    • 15th Oct 15, 11:30 AM
    I certainly take it poorly. Why should I bother contributing if threads are going to be deleted for no apparent reason. In fact, until we get an answer I don't think I will.
    There are two possibilities: everyone remembers what they said, and reposts everything in exactly the same order, some replying to each other, or we accept that the spontaneity won't happen again.

Either way, it's a revisionist pretence that MSE thought of discussing this subject before anybody else did.
    • HappyBunny
    • By HappyBunny 15th Oct 15, 1:28 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    HappyBunny
    • 15th Oct 15, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Oct 15, 1:28 PM
    Shame. Back in the summer, my vodafone contract was due for renewal and I saw that Sainsburys had a good deal for monthly SIM working out at an average £10.50/month with 800 minutes, 2Gb data and unlimited texts - one of the best deals I found at the time.

When trying to cancel with Vodafone, I was offered £10.20/month with 3Gb data, unlimited calls and texts, so I ended up staying with Vodafone.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 15th Oct 15, 2:26 PM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Sphinx asked the Forum Team to remove the other thread and on this occasion out of courtesy we took it down.

This one's been posted to give people including those coming through from our News story a place on the Forum to discuss it.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Oct 15, 2:30 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,407 Thanks
    victor2
    Hi everyone

Sphinx asked the Forum Team to remove the other thread and on this occasion out of courtesy we took it down.

This one's been posted to give people including those coming through from our News story a place on the Forum to discuss it.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    So who is this all-powerful Sphinx you courteously obey?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 15th Oct 15, 2:44 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    So who is this all-powerful Sphinx you courteously obey?
    Originally posted by victor2
    Joined 02-04-2012
    Post count 20.

Very curious.
    • MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 15th Oct 15, 3:12 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    Joined 02-04-2012
    Post count 20.

Very curious.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    No doubt the were only "Following orders".
    Something smells.....
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Oct 15, 3:16 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,407 Thanks
    victor2
    Want to place bets on this thread being deleted?..
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 15th Oct 15, 3:16 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Did Sphinx post in the other thread? Would it not have been a better idea to just remove their posts if that was the issue?

Or can we all now just request a thread be removed for any random reason??
    Last edited by Jon 01; 15-10-2015 at 3:17 PM. Reason: adding info
    • Castle
    • By Castle 15th Oct 15, 3:17 PM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    Castle
    Just received this reply by email from Sainsbury's about refunds and it may be of interest:-

"If you wish to transfer your number over to another network we can provide you with a Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) to allow you to transfer your number. Please call 40775 from your handset and this will connect you to one of my careline colleagues. They will be happy to produce a PAC for you and transfer you through to the refunds team. A refund would then be received by you after the date of porting out".
    • MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 15th Oct 15, 3:20 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    Did Sphinx post in the other thread? Would it not have been a better idea to just remove their posts if that was the issue?

Or can we all now just request a thread be removed for any random reason??
    Originally posted by Jon 01
    How about if 1 or more of us request the thread is reinstated? Will any courtesy be extended to us?
    • Lateagain
    • By Lateagain 15th Oct 15, 3:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lateagain
    Living in The Purbecks which has really patchy coverage on many networks, Sainsbury's PAYG Sim using Vodafone was a boon to me. I have a "smart(?)" phone with a BT O2 Sim which is all but useless most of the time so a decent signal for my trusty Nokia (Only have to recharge it every 5-6 days) on a PAYG sim at reasonable rates was hard to find. Using the table at the foot of MSE page on Piggybacking I discovered "Cheap to Chat" PAYG sim from Talk Mobile. Same deal as Sainsbury's but without the nectar points ;-) Same rates, one call every 180 days minimum, no credit wipeout. Check it out as I can't post links

It's almost impossible to find deals with the major network providers now that can't accept that some of us want a phone ....NOT data. I'm "I.T.'d to the eyeballs but I don't need it on my phone :-(
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Oct 15, 3:45 PM
    • 8,099 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    d123
    Helen's previous post on this subject was number 41 on the now deleted thread.

Originally posted by redux
    I suspect MSEHelen was embarrassed by her post which was just a cut and paste from their piggybacking thread, she was suggesting Mobile by Sainsbury's as one of the alternative options for those users who are affected by the closure of Mobile by Sainsbury's.

I suppose delete and make a new thread gets rid of the offending post...
    Last edited by d123; 15-10-2015 at 3:47 PM.
    ====
  • archived user
    TalkTalk's claim that Vodafone wished to exit the virtual provider arena doesn't seem so far fetched now.

Talkmobile might become Vodafone's giffgaff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,773Posts Today

8,777Users online

Martin's Twitter