Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 3rd Oct 15, 11:02 AM
    • 6,579Posts
    • 3,030Thanks
    LeeUK
    Morrisons Match & More is changing
    • 3rd Oct 15, 11:02 AM
    Morrisons Match & More is changing 3rd Oct 15 at 11:02 AM
    Rumor has it that as of 2nd November they are changing the Match & More card. They will no longer price match, instead they will give 5 points for every pound you spend with no minimum spend limit. Still 5000 points needed for a £5 voucher. Petrol is unchanged.
Page 2
    • newbie1980
    • By newbie1980 5th Oct 15, 7:30 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 23,440 Thanks
    newbie1980
    I`ve always thought that anything with points is little more than a gimmick.
    Asda never went down that road and nor has Aldi and Lidl.
    Prices are all that counts, the lower the better.
    Originally posted by 2010
    what you think asdas apg system is
    its a gimmick and only if you put receipt into the system
    • KazakhToon
    • By KazakhToon 5th Oct 15, 8:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KazakhToon
    This is a big blow to be honest. I made a point of shopping at Morrison since with the card I could guarantee a regular voucher (generally about once a month) and they were price-matching with everyone, even Lidl and Aldi, so I knew I was getting the best possible deal. Now it's just another stupid loyalty card. My nectar card has been running for years and I've not seen a penny from them it seems.

M&M was a great system too, with the voucher being given to you at the checkout - went straight in the wallet for next time. Tesco post out their vouchers and send you a 14pence price match voucher by email which they know you'll probably forget about.
    • By 2010 6th Oct 15, 7:32 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    what you think asdas apg system is
    its a gimmick and only if you put receipt into the system
    Originally posted by newbie1980
    You quoted me but obviously didn`t read me.
    APG is nothing to do with points.
    • graham29a
    • By graham29a 6th Oct 15, 7:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    graham29a
    Morrisons are treating customers with the same level of contempt they do when they let queues build up! Its my nearest shop but now they are building a Lidl between us and Morrisons.......no brainer.

To remove the price comparison and go to a poor copy of clubcard just shows the trouble they are in. They will soon be losing the bulk of my supermarket business.

Its a much much worse deal than the original model and we are back to their ABC card which failed badly. Wonder if they will drop the "match" from "match and more". Not sure "and more" rolls off the tongue :-)
    • heather_p03
    • By heather_p03 6th Oct 15, 7:59 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    heather_p03
    Morrisons Match & More was a win-win for me. We have Morrisons, Lidl and Coop so no chance of shopping elsewhere.
    When the system changes we will be no worse off than before except that the points per litre dropped from 15 to 10 some time ago.
    We have £95 worth of vouchers collected up ready to spend at Christmas and we are likely to get another voucher before the system changes.

It was good while it lasted
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 6th Oct 15, 1:39 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Morrisons shoppers dealt blow as it axes supermarket price match scheme
    Morrisons is axing its supermarket price comparison scheme from 2 November...

Read the full story:

Morrisons shoppers dealt blow as it axes supermarket price match scheme

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• michaels
    • By michaels 6th Oct 15, 2:42 PM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 105,604 Thanks
    michaels
    Presumably they will have to rebrand all the cards as '_&more' otherwise they are breaking the trades description rules.....

Edit: And I agree saying you are stopping price matching because your customers found it too complicated is contemptible. WE get enough of that sh*t from our politicians, do we really need it from our supermarkets?
    Last edited by michaels; 06-10-2015 at 2:47 PM.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 6th Oct 15, 7:14 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    I agree they are perfectly within their rights to change the scheme and it probably was too generous but the point is I simply don't believe them. As others have said it doesn't say a lot for their customers if they not only didn't understand but also told the company they were thick...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • bell
    • By bell 6th Oct 15, 7:57 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    bell
    I always shopped at Aldi and only went to Morrisons for things I couldn't get at Aldi or were not good quality 9n Aldi (their bananas are crap).

Still managed to generate about £35 in vouchers over the last year. Based on the normal spend I do at the shop, it'll take me a good 10 months for each fiver now.

They've axed it because they are to expensive. I've seen me make 3700 points in a single £20 shop, that's £3.70 more expensive than elsewhere.
    Total Value of wins in 2009: £900 appox. 2010: £730

Wins 2011: Carlisle Utd Tickets (twice!), Baby Food Hamper, Straighteners, Chugginton Toy
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 6th Oct 15, 9:00 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    I have always defended Morrisons,saying they are very reasonable and have lots of offers and choice.

But shopped there yesterday and I could not believe the number of items they have increased the price on!

The worst was a box of their own brand decongestants which I buy regularly as I get a lot of sinus problems and they work well.I used to pay 65p for a box of 12.Yesterday they had gone up to £1 a box !! That is about a 55% increase!!

I don't mind the change in the points system as much as I hate the drastic jump in so many items.I thought they kept telling us that the cost of food items are still falling.I still prefer them to Tesco but I am tempted to shop at tescos more often now.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Oct 15, 10:04 PM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I have always defended Morrisons,saying they are very reasonable and have lots of offers and choice.

But shopped there yesterday and I could not believe the number of items they have increased the price on!

The worst was a box of their own brand decongestants which I buy regularly as I get a lot of sinus problems and they work well.I used to pay 65p for a box of 12.Yesterday they had gone up to £1 a box !! That is about a 55% increase!!

I don't mind the change in the points system as much as I hate the drastic jump in so many items.I thought they kept telling us that the cost of food items are still falling.I still prefer them to Tesco but I am tempted to shop at tescos more often now.
    Originally posted by Froglet
    I agree with Froglet. Before defecting (largely) to Aldi, Morrisons was my choice - both for variety, quality (their meat has always been excellent) and price. I now use Morrisons like I use Waitrose or M&S, for top-up shopping, but I agree that Morrison's prices seem to be rising and Tesco is starting to look like better value (which is a horrible though as I really dislike Tesco).
    • robin58
    • By robin58 6th Oct 15, 10:50 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Presumably they will have to rebrand all the cards as '_&more' otherwise they are breaking the trades description rules.....

Edit: And I agree saying you are stopping price matching because your customers found it too complicated is contemptible. WE get enough of that sh*t from our politicians, do we really need it from our supermarkets?
    Originally posted by michaels
    Agree, they changed it because it was costing them too much.

The system that Sainsburys has, is similar. Never been able to understand it fully and I'm not an idiot.

It's a bit like Asda saying their products are chosen by the customers. Bet they don't say it was just a panel of 100+.
    Last edited by robin58; 06-10-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • kevin52
    • By kevin52 7th Oct 15, 3:56 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    kevin52
    They made a serious miscalculation with this scheme in an attempt to buy market share. Frankly I don''t think they could organise a ****up in a brewery.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 7th Oct 15, 7:02 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Agree, they changed it because it was costing them too much.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Wonder if they'd connected the 2 then

We'll put our prices up ,hopefully customers won't notice too much..........

Oh no,we seem to be giving out a lot of extra points........
    • curlywurly82
    • By curlywurly82 7th Oct 15, 7:20 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    curlywurly82
    Morrisons is closest to work so became my regular shop. At the end of the receipt it always tells Mr I could have got my shopping cheaper elsewhere however I didn't mind because I was earning points from it.

It's definitely time for a rethink
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 7th Oct 15, 8:04 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Tesco isn't much of an alternative either,after taking away the fuel bonus,and the points for using your own bags.My local one has stopped doing certain items that you rely on being there,so when you are almost out of that item,it is just not there any more,and you have to go without.Had a moan but even after promising to restock,they haven't.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Oct 15, 9:37 AM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Tesco isn't much of an alternative either,after taking away the fuel bonus,and the points for using your own bags.My local one has stopped doing certain items that you rely on being there,so when you are almost out of that item,it is just not there any more,and you have to go without.Had a moan but even after promising to restock,they haven't.
    Originally posted by Froglet
    Tesco's stock control has always seemed poor to me - and the staff attitude is often lacking compared with other stores.

But one of my main reasons for not liking Tesco (well, leaving aside the ghastly corporate decor, Arfur Daley style pricing tricks, rubbish carrier bags (still, the eco-loons have put a stop to those) higher than Aldi prices for lower quality and general downmarket feel of the stores) is the way Tesco uses imported ingredients in so many of its products. Fish from Poland? Why - don't we have enough sea around this island? Meat from 'EU sources'? Wasn't there this horsemeat problem a while ago?

If Tesco thinks knocking a few pence off here and there is going to win back discerning customers it is wrong. It is certainly coming to something when you get a better concentration of British sourced products in a German supermarket!

Morrisons also beats Tesco in this respect - certainly with its meat.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 7th Oct 15, 9:48 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    zaax
    Local Butcher for (local) meat, miles better than any supermarket.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • huggychair
    • By huggychair 7th Oct 15, 1:44 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    huggychair
    To me I read it as they won't be matching Lidl or Aldi anymore, but the minimum spend of £15 drops to £1.

Am I right in assuming this? Will they still be 'price matching' with the 'other' stores or not?

Never been tempted by their 'more' points offers that are deliberately overpriced, allowing them to buy-bulk, get a better deal from the supplier and overcharge to presume loyalty.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 7th Oct 15, 1:53 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    No,they won't be price matching at all.This then gives them the freedom to put their prices up in the hope we won't notice,and if we do,at least get the difference in points and ultimately,a voucher.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

3,884Users online

Martin's Twitter