Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 9th Sep 15, 9:51 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Thousands vent Twitter fury at HMRC over long call waits
    • 9th Sep 15, 9:51 AM
    MSE News: Thousands vent Twitter fury at HMRC over long call waits 9th Sep 15 at 9:51 AM
    Frustrated callers tweeted HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) more than 11,500 times over the past year to complain...

Read the full story:

Thousands vent Twitter fury at HMRC over long call waits

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Sep 15, 10:08 AM
    • 6,048 Posts
    • 65,732 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    • 9th Sep 15, 10:08 AM
    • 9th Sep 15, 10:08 AM
    My husband had occasion to ring HMRC a few weeks ago and had to wait about an hour.....
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 9th Sep 15, 11:10 AM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 9th Sep 15, 11:10 AM
    • 9th Sep 15, 11:10 AM
    I rang first thing in the morning and still had to wait 35 minutes. However one thing I was advised by the advisor that if you are a pensioner and and its something to do with your tax code just say pension tax code when prompted and you jump the queue.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 9th Sep 15, 9:07 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 9th Sep 15, 9:07 PM
    • 9th Sep 15, 9:07 PM
    At least these calls are now on 0300 and 0345 numbers and not on expensive 0845 and 0870 numbers.

If you're paying a per-minute rate for calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, you're probably on the wrong tariff or with the wrong provider. Most people call these numbers as part of an inclusive call plan.

Make sure you have an inclusive call plan that covers all of the calls you make to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.
    • mallard
    • By mallard 9th Sep 15, 9:31 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    mallard
    • 9th Sep 15, 9:31 PM
    • 9th Sep 15, 9:31 PM
    Had to ring three times in the last couple of months to get things sorted...first time was 30 minutes, second 45 minutes and last 25 minutes.

Even worse they ignored what i requested over two years with my tax codes saying they were right and i would be fine. Then i ended up underpaying so they clawed it back through tax code so i was over two hundred worse off a month. I rang and they said it was fine and adjusted it again despite me arguing they were wrong and so i suddenly owed them more. After three more calls they have adjusted it to what it originally was two years before and suddenly i owe them two thousand less. Idiots!
    • miller
    • By miller 10th Sep 15, 8:41 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    miller
    • 10th Sep 15, 8:41 AM
    • 10th Sep 15, 8:41 AM
    An HMRC spokesperson says: "We are sorry that some customers have struggled to get hold of us, but this unscientific and out-of-date survey of tweets does not represent the real picture now.
    by HMRC spokesperson
    That's alright then; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK2Oqrgic
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 10th Sep 15, 8:43 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    • 10th Sep 15, 8:43 AM
    • 10th Sep 15, 8:43 AM
    17 mins today for HMRC and 22 mins for VAT.

Extremely helpful and professional once I got through.
    • pauljose1
    • By pauljose1 10th Sep 15, 3:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pauljose1
    • 10th Sep 15, 3:03 PM
    • 10th Sep 15, 3:03 PM
    This is what i wrote to my MP back in June.......

As my MP I want to bring to your attention the blatant disregard HMRC has for its "customers".
    Apart for the general principle that it is one of the few organisations that operates in an unjust way, that you are guilty until you prove your innocence, and proving that they are the ones who are in the wrong is a challenge !
    The issue that caused me to write to you today is one of courtesy and respect, I am full time employed and run my own business so my time is precious, and I had reason to call HMRC this morning, on a VAT issue to do with my business.
    When you call HMRC you get an infernal voice recognition system, being a Welshman living in Ayrshire, and not coming from Hampshire, the accent throws the system off, so the phone nearly goes out the window, BUT then after navigating the menu, you get a recorded message saying "we are very busy at the moment, please try again later" and it cuts you off......
    As a business owner, if I treated my customers with such distain I would not have a business for long, it is simply rude, discourteous and downright annoying. To top it all off I have to navigate the infernal menu system again, without knowing if they will cut me off again, it’s just wrong.
    I did this 4 times this morning, the 4th time I told the infernal menu that I wanted to complain, and it cut me off in the same way! There is no email address to complain to on the web, hence why I’m emailing you.

What they should be doing is telling their customers how long the estimated wait is, and we can choose to hold or not, don’t simply cut us off, because it smacks of fiddling the call numbers, number of calls on hold etc. to justify an operating model.
    As my MP can I ask you pass this onto the relevant people at HMRC, and telephone call from them would be nice? We the hard working people of the UK are the customers of HMRC please treat us with some respect.
    • Print Screen
    • By Print Screen 11th Sep 15, 5:47 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Print Screen
    • 11th Sep 15, 5:47 AM
    • 11th Sep 15, 5:47 AM
    This is a win win for HMRC surely. Save money but cutting staff and then when people can't get through to correct HMRC's mistakes fine them for non compliance.
    Additionally force them to prove their innocence by.....thats right calling the phone line.
    If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th Sep 15, 9:11 AM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    MABLE
    Rang this morning and when prompted I stated private pension tax codes and got through straight away. So it does work.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Sep 15, 2:32 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    there has been recruiting, but over all the net number of staff has dropped massively. Also the new folk do not get the same standard of training as they did years ago.
    Originally posted by femalemonarchfemalecanine
    There are potentially several thousand refugees from Syria etc that will shortly be looking for employment ..
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Sep 15, 2:42 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Incidentally - I see that "HMRC Spokesperson" is keeping in line with the rest of his department - he has responded to 14 questions in 3 years !!
    • SmokieJoe
    • By SmokieJoe 16th Sep 15, 3:55 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    SmokieJoe
    The reality is that they have cut too many staff, and those being recruited aren't sufficient to replace the numbers lost. Too, it takes time to get the replacement staff trained to a level that makes a real difference to those calling, rather than just taking the call to then advise they are passing the call on to someone else. There are also staff being taken from other departments to cover tax credits, but yet again not sufficient numbers or with sufficient training.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 16th Sep 15, 7:20 PM
    • 11,535 Posts
    • 22,260 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Had to ring three times in the last couple of months to get things sorted...first time was 30 minutes, second 45 minutes and last 25 minutes.

Even worse they ignored what i requested over two years with my tax codes saying they were right and i would be fine. Then i ended up underpaying so they clawed it back through tax code so i was over two hundred worse off a month. I rang and they said it was fine and adjusted it again despite me arguing they were wrong and so i suddenly owed them more. After three more calls they have adjusted it to what it originally was two years before and suddenly i owe them two thousand less. Idiots!
    Originally posted by mallard
    A classic example of why they get so many phone calls! If they did their job properly, first time, people wouldn't have to keep phoning them to try to get their tax put right. How many of the millions of phone calls they receive are actually about mistakes they've made?
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 16th Sep 15, 7:35 PM
    • 7,185 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    tomtontom
    well they won't get employment with hmrc as the numbers are being cut (overall) further.
    so the service will get worse; though I dare say the statistics will say whatever someone wants them to
    Originally posted by femalemonarchfemalecanine
    If you look at the ONS statistics there has been little change in the overall HMRC headcount in the past five years. As already noted they are currently recruiting on a pretty massive scale. Year on year they have increased their headcount, and I expect that to be even higher by next year.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 16th Sep 15, 8:52 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 20,640 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I phoned them this morning and was waiting for 50 minutes and they couldn't help me when I did get through 😡I have to wait 'five working days' for an anytime call back from the right people which I pointed out there is a strong chance I may not be able to answer as I have a lot going on this week. However they did note my request to be called after midday on Tuesday or between 11 and 3 on Wednesday. This will inevitably mean they will call me on Monday afternoon when I'm on a train or Thursday morning when I'm on uni campus for a meeting...
    Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate; MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10/18, BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Our Civil Partnership is booked for 15/02/20
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,816Posts Today

5,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin