Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlueEyedGirl
    • By BlueEyedGirl 20th Aug 15, 9:45 PM
    • 1,639Posts
    • 2,616Thanks
    BlueEyedGirl
    Virgin Fares Double For Railcard Holders On Peak Trains
    • 20th Aug 15, 9:45 PM
    Virgin Fares Double For Railcard Holders On Peak Trains 20th Aug 15 at 9:45 PM
    News today...

"Virgin fares double for railcard holders on peak trains as 'off peak price' deal is axed"

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/virgin-fares-double-railcard-holders-9897766
Page 1
    • katecheshire
    • By katecheshire 24th Aug 15, 4:30 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    katecheshire
    • 24th Aug 15, 4:30 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 4:30 PM
    Q: What does this mean to me?A: If you buy an Off-Peak ticket for a Peak time train using a Railcard discount before 6 September, this change will not affect you. If you're looking to buy tickets after 6 September, don't worry, you can still get great value Advance tickets with your Railcard for Peak time travel. We have just completed refurbishments on our Pendolino fleet to create an extra 5,500 Standard class seats a day, so there are plenty of seats available on board our services.

Not entirely clear to me whether I can buy a discounted ticket before 6th for use on on or after the 6th. Is it just me?
    • mathsus
    • By mathsus 24th Aug 15, 4:33 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    mathsus
    • 24th Aug 15, 4:33 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 4:33 PM
    Double? More like quadruple! A flexible peak ticket to London will now cost me £200+ instead of £53.85 at present. Back to the Advance fares rather than flexibility. Boo hiss to Virgin.
    • katecheshire
    • By katecheshire 24th Aug 15, 5:23 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    katecheshire
    • 24th Aug 15, 5:23 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 5:23 PM

Not entirely clear to me whether I can buy a discounted ticket before 6th for use on on or after the 6th. Is it just me?
    Originally posted by katecheshire

I have emailed Virgin Trains to get their clarification and will update when I get a response.
    • kaneap
    • By kaneap 24th Aug 15, 6:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kaneap
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:00 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:00 PM
    My colleagues have benefited from this deal for a few years because they're over 60, I just knew that it would be withdrawn before I would qualify. It's now becoming prohibitively expensive to go down to London for business - driving or flying aren't good options either. Can't help feeling like an exploited Northerner!
    • mathsus
    • By mathsus 24th Aug 15, 6:08 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    mathsus
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:08 PM
    confused
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:08 PM
    "The easement stops on the 6th. So it doesn't matter when you brought your ticket you will not be able to travel on the peak time service. The ticket will be valid on the off peak only."

If you go on the Virgin website you can still book a peak ticket for an off peak price with a railcard for after Sept 6th. Are you saying they won't honour it?
    Last edited by mathsus; 24-08-2015 at 6:11 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 24th Aug 15, 6:24 PM
    • 18,664 Posts
    • 15,599 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:24 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 6:24 PM
    My colleagues have benefited from this deal for a few years because they're over 60, I just knew that it would be withdrawn before I would qualify. It's now becoming prohibitively expensive to go down to London for business - driving or flying aren't good options either. Can't help feeling like an exploited Northerner!
    Originally posted by kaneap
    I guess you haven't considered the 'exploited southerners' who will suffer the same consequence when travelling to Liverpool, Manchester, etc.
    • notakid
    • By notakid 24th Aug 15, 9:49 PM
    • 9,354 Posts
    • 27,491 Thanks
    notakid
    • 24th Aug 15, 9:49 PM
    • 24th Aug 15, 9:49 PM
    "The easement stops on the 6th. So it doesn't matter when you brought your ticket you will not be able to travel on the peak time service. The ticket will be valid on the off peak only."

If you go on the Virgin website you can still book a peak ticket for an off peak price with a railcard for after Sept 6th. Are you saying they won't honour it?
    Originally posted by mathsus
    Actually reading back what I posted it reads wrongly I should have gone into more detail. I've deleted my post and here is the detail.

It is on the web site that the railcard easement is no longer valid however there will be a grace period until the 13th of sept for people unware of the change to purchase discounted railcard tickets.

Also customers who purchased their tickets before the 6th of Sept will have to the 12th of Oct to travel.
    Last edited by notakid; 24-08-2015 at 9:53 PM.
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
    • mathsus
    • By mathsus 25th Aug 15, 9:19 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    mathsus
    • 25th Aug 15, 9:19 AM
    • 25th Aug 15, 9:19 AM
    Actually reading back what I posted it reads wrongly I should have gone into more detail. I've deleted my post and here is the detail.

It is on the web site that the railcard easement is no longer valid however there will be a grace period until the 13th of sept for people unware of the change to purchase discounted railcard tickets.

Also customers who purchased their tickets before the 6th of Sept will have to the 12th of Oct to travel.
    Originally posted by notakid

Thanks! I will book quickly. I've had 6 months of the benefits of this Virgin 'easement' - I need to be able to get from Manchester to London quickly at little notice to see ageing ps so it has been a boon to me since I turned 60. May have to resort to the car again if I can't get Advance fares. Ugh.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 25th Aug 15, 11:48 PM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    dekaspace
    What happens say about people using JC discount cards? theres a off peak price I can get to visit relatives but its available all day currently, peak is more than double.
    • mathsus
    • By mathsus 26th Aug 15, 9:35 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    mathsus
    FYI everyone - the virgin website still quotes off peak prices for peak journeys with a Senior Railcard well beyond Oct 12th! (Though I haven't gone past the first page and on to actual payment.) If they let me book a seat on an actual peak train, surely they would have to honour it??
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 26th Aug 15, 2:25 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Virgin Trains passengers face fares increase as it axes railcard perk
    Virgin Trains passengers with a railcard will no longer be able to buy off-peak fares for use on peak journeys...

Read the full story:

Virgin Trains passengers face fares increase as it axes railcard perk

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 26th Aug 15, 4:10 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,853 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    I never even knew this discount existed. I have a disable railcard and use Virgin Trains now and then but travel Off Peak. I think...

When exactly is "Off Peak"?

At some of the eye watering prices I have seen for fares on Virgin (who seem to now have the monopoly on long distance travel as they run East Coast too) I would prefer to drive my own car.

I looked for a ticket to Newcastle (journey time over 8 hours) from the Isle of Wight last week and it was £101 for the saver fare using my railcard (without the cost of the ferry to the mainland) yet I could a cheaper price by flying from Southampton to Newcastle on FlyBe taking only 1h 20mins plus my travel to the airports. I also of course get NO discount on FlyBe - that was their full adult fare.
    Last edited by A Flock Of Sheep; 26-08-2015 at 4:18 PM.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 26th Aug 15, 4:16 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    Kite2010
    Nice stock image of a pair of Crosscountry voyagers used in the article rather than Virgin which is what the story is about
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 26th Aug 15, 4:29 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,853 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Just looked up...

£174 for a peak time return from London to Birmingham. Journey time 1h 25 mins.

Virgin Trains = Robbers.

Lord knows how much they will rip you off to go to Manchester or Liverpool.

Rail fares in Europe aren't as expensive as this and their trains are fast and not slow old wrecks like we have.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 26th Aug 15, 4:43 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,853 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Q: We have just completed refurbishments on our Pendolino fleet to create an extra 5,500 Standard class seats a day, so there are plenty of seats available on board our services.
    Originally posted by katecheshire
    So that mean folk will be even more compressed and shoe horned into those rail mounted tin cans.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 26th Aug 15, 5:59 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    A Flock Of Sheep - Peak times depend on where you're travelling to and from. There is a PDF detailing these on Virgin's website - https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets/your-ticket/ways-to-save

Kite2010 - Good spot, we take our images from a stock database. I will see if it has one of the Virgin West Coast trains.
    • shinkyshonky
    • By shinkyshonky 26th Aug 15, 8:19 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    shinkyshonky
    All needs to be renationalised ...and soon , come on Corbyn
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 27th Aug 15, 1:30 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    yorkie2
    FYI everyone - the virgin website still quotes off peak prices for peak journeys with a Senior Railcard well beyond Oct 12th! (Though I haven't gone past the first page and on to actual payment.) If they let me book a seat on an actual peak train, surely they would have to honour it??
    Originally posted by mathsus
    They would indeed have to honour it.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 27th Aug 15, 1:36 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    yorkie2
    Just looked up...

£174 for a peak time return from London to Birmingham. Journey time 1h 25 mins.
    Originally posted by A Flock Of Sheep
    I would not recommend that ticket, unless you had to be in Birmingham very early and had to return also very early in the morning.

Instead, look at London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street. £49 for a walk-up flexible Off Peak Return (SVR), will get you to Birmingham for 0853.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,792Posts Today

4,444Users online

Martin's Twitter