Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 27th Jul 15, 4:48 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes
    • 27th Jul 15, 4:48 PM
    MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes 27th Jul 15 at 4:48 PM
    BT broadband, home phone and TV customers will be hit with price hikes of up to 7% from 20 September...

Read the full story:

How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 6
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 13th Aug 15, 8:25 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've just left BT with 6 months to go on my minimum term because of the price increases. Saving a lot more than £8 a month!
    Originally posted by Gordon Hose
    In June last year, I was feeling exactly as you are now. I left BT to go to TalkTalk, thinking of all the money I was saving.

But as I pointed out above, the TT experience was so horrific that I emailed the CEO and after talking with someone in her office, my new contract was rescinded and I was soon back with BT, and I again had a decent broadband service.

When you have bad internet, the price pales into insignificance.

I hope your experience of leaving BT is better than mine.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Aug 15, 9:10 AM
    • 12,338 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    I agree its worth paying more for a decent service or at least sticking with a good one .
    Note good may be relevant to your setup location and exchange .
    But BT do need a better PR as they have done themselves no favours with recent rises and BT Sport .
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 13th Aug 15, 9:13 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    In June last year, I was feeling exactly as you are now. I left BT to go to TalkTalk, thinking of all the money I was saving.

But as I pointed out above, the TT experience was so horrific that I emailed the CEO and after talking with someone in her office, my new contract was rescinded and I was soon back with BT, and I again had a decent broadband service.

When you have bad internet, the price pales into insignificance.

I hope your experience of leaving BT is better than mine.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    There's not just BT and Talk Talk available though.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 13th Aug 15, 9:16 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    There's not just BT and Talk Talk available though.
    I am aware of that. Please let us know who you have gone with and how your transition progresses.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 13th Aug 15, 9:53 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I've gone with Talk Talk. I'm hoping my experience doesn't reflect yours. If, unfortunately, it does I won't be knocking on BT's door, that's for sure!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 13th Aug 15, 10:01 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've gone with Talk Talk. I'm hoping my experience doesn't reflect yours. If, unfortunately, it does I won't be knocking on BT's door, that's for sure!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Good luck on your switch to TalkTalk.

Here is the thread from last year about my switch, which might give you an indication of what to expect in your switch:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4959296&highlight=

And from reading the comments of other TT users, it seems their customer services haven't improved since I last used them.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 13th Aug 15, 10:05 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I'll make a cuppa tea and have a read through, thanks!
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 14th Aug 15, 7:16 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    I think I have finally cancelled BT after the combination of the Sport debacle and the price increases. I do think BT were poorly advised to do both back to back, having spent hours trying to get Sport resolved and BT refusing to cancel the Broadband because Sport was a separate contract..... They then release the price hike which gives me the right to cancel anyway! What a waste of time.

I've ported to Sky, I have BT two chances to price match but they weren't interested, then I had to ring to cancel sport separately having signed up with Sky and they finally offered me a deal but nowhere close to the sky new customer deal.

I'm keeping an eye out for the final bill to see what stunt they've pulled on charging....
    Piglet
    • stroke
    • By stroke 14th Aug 15, 10:20 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stroke
    Still not received anything from BT advising me of the price rises.

Would someone kindly post the contents of the email they received so when I phone BT I know what I'm referencing ! Thanks.
    Last edited by stroke; 14-08-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    • CGG
    • By CGG 14th Aug 15, 12:07 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    CGG
    Still not received anything from BT advising me of the price rises.

Would someone kindly post the contents of the email they received so when I phone BT I know what I'm referencing ! Thanks.
    Originally posted by stroke

We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days5 if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time.

5. 14-day notice period: Applies to customers switching providers using the standard industry switching process.
    • stroke
    • By stroke 14th Aug 15, 12:50 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stroke

We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days5 if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time.

5. 14-day notice period: Applies to customers switching providers using the standard industry switching process.
    Originally posted by CGG
    Thanks for that - do they provide a dedicated phone number, else I'll use the standard customer services one.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 14th Aug 15, 10:35 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    harz99
    Stroke; no dedicated line use the normal CS number. Good luck if you get the Scottish mob as they ain't helpful.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 17th Aug 15, 12:28 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    Good luck on your switch to TalkTalk.

Here is the thread from last year about my switch, which might give you an indication of what to expect in your switch:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4959296&highlight=

And from reading the comments of other TT users, it seems their customer services haven't improved since I last used them.
    I've sacked Talk Talk because Vodafone Homephone and Broadband is coming as soon as my account is migrated to the new billing system.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th Aug 15, 12:55 PM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've sacked Talk Talk because Vodafone Homephone and Broadband is coming as soon as my account is migrated to the new billing system.
    I think you have done the right thing by ditching TalkTalk. I can't comment on Vodaphone's Homephone and Broadband, but I had a Vodaphone Dongle and wasn't impressed by either their customer service or the breaking of their promise to keep the plan I had selected going on a permanent basis, which resulted in me throwing away the Dongle and never using them again.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 17th Aug 15, 1:30 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I think you have done the right thing by ditching TalkTalk. I can't comment on Vodaphone's Homephone and Broadband, but I had a Vodaphone Dongle and wasn't impressed by either their customer service or the breaking of their promise to keep the plan I had selected going on a permanent basis, which resulted in me throwing away the Dongle and never using them again.
    It's new - part of their Quad Play offering. I work for them so will get up to 76Mb for £3.50 a month, plus £16.99 line rental.

Talk Talk retentions tried to match it but couldn't get close
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th Aug 15, 2:01 PM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    It's new - part of their Quad Play offering. I work for them so will get up to 76Mb for £3.50 a month, plus £16.99 line rental.

Talk Talk retentions tried to match it but couldn't get close
    Fair enough. Good luck.
    • Demarcation
    • By Demarcation 19th Aug 15, 10:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Demarcation
    This is great, signed up in June, got £120 Cashback and £50 Giftcard (both recieved in my bank) Now i can switch and get cashback again!!!

So happy to recieve my letter today!!!!
    • Happy_Shrimper2
    • By Happy_Shrimper2 19th Aug 15, 10:58 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Happy_Shrimper2
    This is great, signed up in June, got £120 Cashback and £50 Giftcard (both recieved in my bank) Now i can switch and get cashback again!!!

So happy to recieve my letter today!!!!
    Originally posted by Demarcation
    Similarly, I signed up to quad play in May. So are we able to cancel landline, broadband, TV and mobile? They are all linked in some way as price is discounted for mobile for having other services I believe.
    Do we get to keep the youview box etc?
    Nipping off to SSE seems tempting with big cashback, half price and 76mb ultra ;-)
    Update:
    Previous post talking about equipment charges. Will call BT with view to switching (accept will have to forfeit line rental saver, but will save on TV costs etc and cashback elsewhere more that compensates).
    Last edited by Happy_Shrimper2; 19-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Aug 15, 8:00 AM
    • 12,338 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <<Do we get to keep the youview box etc? >>

If the original contract term has ended yes .Otherwise BT will either charge you or want it back .
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 25th Aug 15, 2:35 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: BT price hike: Last chance to beat it
    About 10 million BT broadband, phone and TV customers will be hit with price rises of up to 7% from 20 September...

Read the full story:

BT price hike: Last chance to beat it

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,929Posts Today

4,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Grrrr. I've sensitive tooth pain after going to the dentist last week for a filling. I've been putting sensodyne? https://t.co/A1Q8sdSukK

• Follow Martin