Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 6th Aug 15, 1:03 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Virgin Money offers 'free' case of wine on its credit cards: Is it...
    • 6th Aug 15, 1:03 PM
    MSE News: Virgin Money offers 'free' case of wine on its credit cards: Is it... 6th Aug 15 at 1:03 PM
    New Virgin Money credit card customers can get a free case of wine worth £55 for a limited time only...

Read the full story:

Virgin Money offers 'free' case of wine on its credit cards: Is the offer any good?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • puk999
    • By puk999 6th Aug 15, 1:56 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    puk999
    • 6th Aug 15, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Aug 15, 1:56 PM
    Their site says:

Claim a 6-bottle case of boutique Virgin Wines, when you make transfers and purchases of £1,000 or more within 60 days of account opening.
    Now, when I Google "how many bottles in a case", the answer I get is a resounding 12, with 6 bottles being called a half case
    • Starline
    • By Starline 6th Aug 15, 2:36 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Starline
    • 6th Aug 15, 2:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 15, 2:36 PM
    Their site says:

Now, when I Google "how many bottles in a case", the answer I get is a resounding 12, with 6 bottles being called a half case
    Originally posted by puk999
    To be fair, when I googled, I found that Asda also refer to a case of wine as 6 bottles
    http://direct.asda.com/Mixed-Cases/AD120105,default,sc.html

As do Tesco
    http://www.tesco.com/wine/

And even Majestic Wine offer a 6 bottle case of wine (but also offer 12 bottle versions)
    https://www.majestic.co.uk/mixed-wine-cases
    • mp3duck
    • By mp3duck 6th Aug 15, 3:50 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 23,407 Thanks
    mp3duck
    • 6th Aug 15, 3:50 PM
    • 6th Aug 15, 3:50 PM
    tbh, a 6 bottle case is better, as each bottle will be of a much higher standard.. around £9 per bottle, against around £4.50..

I for one would much rather have 6 decent bottles of wine, against 12 mediocre ones.
    • puk999
    • By puk999 6th Aug 15, 10:20 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    puk999
    • 6th Aug 15, 10:20 PM
    • 6th Aug 15, 10:20 PM
    To be fair, when I googled, I found that Asda also refer to a case of wine as 6 bottles
    http://direct.asda.com/Mixed-Cases/AD120105,default,sc.html

As do Tesco
    http://www.tesco.com/wine/

And even Majestic Wine offer a 6 bottle case of wine (but also offer 12 bottle versions)
    https://www.majestic.co.uk/mixed-wine-cases
    Originally posted by Starline
    Thanks. I didn't realise how common the phrase was for 6-bottles. They say the wines are worth £55 so I will probably go for the offer.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 7th Aug 15, 3:41 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 7th Aug 15, 3:41 AM
    Wine Lake
    • 7th Aug 15, 3:41 AM
    Is there some kind of wine glut?

I am seeing a lot of £50 vouchers.

HSBC Premier has a Laithwaites £50 voucher expiring 8th August 2015.

Sunday Times £50 voucher, in an envelope.

Maybe the global warming is good for the grapes.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 7th Aug 15, 4:03 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 7th Aug 15, 4:03 AM
    32 month 0% BT wears out my balance
    • 7th Aug 15, 4:03 AM
    These 32+ months deals are a little annoying.

If you don't spend on the card, the monthly minimum payment seriously reduce the 0% balance, so I try to spend roughly the same amount as the minimum amount. Barclaycard seems to have an odd way of charging interest on the purchases, though.

Traditionally, you get an interest free period with purchases, but I seem to get charged interest whatever I do. Obviously I pay off the new purchases fully, as well as satisfying the minimum. By paying as soon as the statement is generated, I seem to be keeping the interest to less than a pound currently.

Hopefully, I will still have a decent balance to transfer to the next card, in two years time.
    • puk999
    • By puk999 7th Aug 15, 10:39 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    puk999
    • 7th Aug 15, 10:39 AM
    • 7th Aug 15, 10:39 AM
    Thanks. I didn't realise how common the phrase was for 6-bottles. They say the wines are worth £55 so I will probably go for the offer.
    And I was declined
    Thank you for applying for a Virgin Credit Card. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you the card you applied for at the moment.

We will write to you shortly with further details.

We know circumstances change, so our decision could be different in the future, but please allow six months before applying again.

We would like to thank you for considering Virgin Money.
    First time for everything I suppose.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 7th Aug 15, 11:49 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 7th Aug 15, 11:49 AM
    • 7th Aug 15, 11:49 AM
    These 32+ months deals are a little annoying.

If you don't spend on the card, the monthly minimum payment seriously reduce the 0% balance, so I try to spend roughly the same amount as the minimum amount. Barclaycard seems to have an odd way of charging interest on the purchases, though.

Traditionally, you get an interest free period with purchases, but I seem to get charged interest whatever I do. Obviously I pay off the new purchases fully, as well as satisfying the minimum. By paying as soon as the statement is generated, I seem to be keeping the interest to less than a pound currently.

Hopefully, I will still have a decent balance to transfer to the next card, in two years time.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Pincher, this is normal but something that often confuses people.

The "traditional" (as you put it) interest free period with purchases is usually in the T&Cs as only applicable if the previous statement balance was cleared in full.

If you have a 0% balance transfer running, obviously you are not paying the statement balance off in full as you're leaving that balance there (except for minimum payments) to roll on for 32 months.

This means you don't qualify for the interest free period on purchases, and interest on those starts to run from the day you make the purchase to the day you make your payment.

This is better than how things used to be when the payment would probably go towards the BT and not pay off the purchases, but still even though the payment now usually goes towards purchases first they will be racking up interest between the purchase date and payment date.

Just don't try to prevent this by paying off the purchases immediately (straight after buying) before they've appeared on a statement. Payments usually go to amounts that have appeared on a statement first, before anything more recent, and so those will end up clearing your BT rather than the new purchases if you don't wait for a statement. This means there's no way to avoid interest from at least the purchase date to the statement date.

All of the above is of course dependent on the exact T&Cs for your particular card.
    • tomxlisa
    • By tomxlisa 8th Aug 15, 5:12 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    tomxlisa
    And I was declined

First time for everything I suppose.
    Do you have good credit history then, do you normally get accepted for credit, I am building my history to get a mainstream card like virgin but if you have been decline with a good credit it dont give me much hope for when mine is good, is guess you might of just been the unlucky one the computer wanted to say no too though.
    • puk999
    • By puk999 8th Aug 15, 9:07 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    puk999
    Do you have good credit history then, do you normally get accepted for credit, I am building my history to get a mainstream card like virgin but if you have been decline with a good credit it dont give me much hope for when mine is good, is guess you might of just been the unlucky one the computer wanted to say no too though.
    Originally posted by tomxlisa
    I do have a good credit history. No defaults. It might be that within the last few weeks I opened a Post Office credit card account and did a balance transfer of £6k into it. I also do the multiple current account thing (TSBx2, Nationwide, Clydesdale, Halifax Reward, First Direct, Club Lloyds, etc), so perhaps Virgin assumed correctly that I'd spend the £1k on their card, get the wine, then close the account?

Hope your application is successful.

I'll update the thread with their written "further details".
    • tomxlisa
    • By tomxlisa 8th Aug 15, 10:04 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    tomxlisa
    Well you sure do have plenty of credit there so shouldn't be too much of a problem for you and I won't be applying yet as I have to build my credit history for a while, and what is the multiple current account thing you mention?.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 9th Aug 15, 2:41 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    This means you don't qualify for the interest free period on purchases, and interest on those starts to run from the day you make the purchase to the day you make your payment.
    Originally posted by gingercordial

That explains it, thanks.

This is better than how things used to be when the payment would probably go towards the BT and not pay off the purchases, but still even though the payment now usually goes towards purchases first they will be racking up interest between the purchase date and payment date.

Just don't try to prevent this by paying off the purchases immediately (straight after buying) before they've appeared on a statement. Payments usually go to amounts that have appeared on a statement first, before anything more recent, and so those will end up clearing your BT rather than the new purchases if you don't wait for a statement. This means there's no way to avoid interest from at least the purchase date to the statement date.
    Originally posted by gingercordial

It seems to be a battle of sneakiness on this one.

The statements usually appeared around 25th of each month, so I set up payment for 26th which should pay off the purchase and satisfy the monthly minimum. A couple of months ago, the statement appeared on the 29th! This meant the amount I paid in was used to reduce the 0% balance, and the purchase amount was not touched, so I had to make another payment on the 30th. Lost £300+ of the 0% balance, which I paid a balance transfer fee for.

The indentured servitude should have lasted two years or more, making 3% in a Santander 123 account, or 6% in a First Direct Regular Saver.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 9th Aug 15, 12:16 PM
    • 7,392 Posts
    • 10,789 Thanks
    surfsister
    Virgin Money has boosted its credit card range today, launching a limited-time offer for customers taking out new cards to get a free case of wine worth £50.

This offer has launched across most of Virgin Money's credit card range, including all of its balance transfer cards, though it's not as straightforward as just applying for the card and being sent the case of wine.

Related MSE Guides

Credit Card Freebies
    £100 vouchers, free Europe flights etc

Cashback Credit Cards
    5% cashback for first 3 months

Credit Card Rewards
    Get flights, points, cashback & more

New cardholders will have to make £1,000-worth of either purchases, balance transfers or money transfers to qualify a question - i have no balance on a card so what and how do i do a money transfer??
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 11th Aug 15, 8:16 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    New cardholders will have to make £1,000-worth of either purchases, balance transfers or money transfers to qualify a question - i have no balance on a card so what and how do i do a money transfer??
    Originally posted by surfsister

You usually have three months to do the Balance Transfers.

Spend on other cards for three months.

I tend to pay for holidays by credit card, rather than debit card, even tough there is a credit card surcharge, because the credit card gives some extra protection. Well, there is a scrap between ATOL, the airline the credit card company, and possibly the Travel Insurance company, I suppose.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 13th Aug 15, 7:08 PM
    • 7,392 Posts
    • 10,789 Thanks
    surfsister
    thanks pincher appreciated
    • puk999
    • By puk999 14th Aug 15, 10:39 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    puk999
    Well you sure do have plenty of credit there so shouldn't be too much of a problem for you and I won't be applying yet as I have to build my credit history for a while, and what is the multiple current account thing you mention?.
    Originally posted by tomxlisa
    Sorry for delay, have been away for a few days.

The current account thing I mentioned is the way of getting decent interest on your cash savings. Savings accounts these days don't pay much, but there are some current accounts that pay much more. Trouble is they only pay interest on balances up to £2k or £2.5k, so if you have more savings than that, you need to open up accounts with many different providers.

There's also nice joining incentives to be had from some current accounts that I find too good to pass up, e.g. £150 from Clydesdale, £100 from First Direct. See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts?_ga=1.118440458.2068299561.1373721996 for more info.
    • AlistairS
    • By AlistairS 23rd Aug 15, 12:17 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    AlistairS
    I also got declined for this card. I have a good credit history but in the last few weeks I got the Post Office Mastercard & transferred Banks to The Co-op. Would this be the reason for me being declined? The only reason I was applying was that I find the Post Office setup rather backward: Paper Statements, phone calls instead of secure messages. So I was going to bin the Post Office Card in favour of this one
    • J Coutts
    • By J Coutts 18th Sep 15, 9:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    J Coutts
    Virgin Credit Card - NO WINE!
    I applied for the card via the website, was accepted and transferred a balance. I did everything correctly to obtain the wine incentive. However after not receiving an email about the wine I contacted Virgin and have been told I am not eligible for the wine as I applied through LoveMoney. I informed them I applied through the main Virgin website, I have never heard of LoveMoney and this must be some form of error on their part. They say that a code has been applied to my account which means that I applied through LoveMoney, again I have reiterated that there must be an error as I absolutely applied through the main Virgin money website. They are not budging and say that the Marketing team applied the codes and the staff on Customer Service don't even understand the codes. I have made a formal complaint but do not seem to be getting anywhere. Anyone else had similiar problems?
    • sheba
    • By sheba 18th Sep 15, 9:05 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    sheba
    Sorry to hear that J Coutts, I've just come to say wine ordered, so obvs okay for us (applied for card via the mse emai). Hope you are able to sort it although it sounds like they are being a bit obstinate about the issue, to my mind as long as you took out the appropriate product and fulfilled the required 'spend' in the allotted timeframe, I think them arguing about which link you used is a bit arbitary-you were still pulled in by the offer?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,307Posts Today

6,296Users online

Martin's Twitter