Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 27th Jul 15, 4:48 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes
    • 27th Jul 15, 4:48 PM
    MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes 27th Jul 15 at 4:48 PM
    BT broadband, home phone and TV customers will be hit with price hikes of up to 7% from 20 September...

Read the full story:

How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • sparky260500
    • By sparky260500 27th Jul 15, 10:11 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    sparky260500
    • 27th Jul 15, 10:11 PM
    • 27th Jul 15, 10:11 PM
    good old bt this really should not be allowed upping prices twice within 3 months
    • PeterOHanrahanrahan
    • By PeterOHanrahanrahan 28th Jul 15, 5:19 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    PeterOHanrahanrahan
    • 28th Jul 15, 5:19 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 5:19 AM
    "Unlimited anytime calls (if you signed up on or before 20 June 2014): £17.95/month, up from £7.45/month." - that has to be a mistake, surely?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 28th Jul 15, 6:26 AM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 28th Jul 15, 6:26 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 6:26 AM
    I wish the writer understood about "contracts!"- the contract with BT doesn't end - you merely move onto "standard" cancellation notice conditions eg 14 days, 31 days etc AFTER your agreed tie in period ends.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 28th Jul 15, 8:19 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:19 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:19 AM
    PeterOHanrahanrah - Thanks for flagging that typo, it should say £7.95/month, not £17.95/month.This has now been corrected in the article.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Jul 15, 8:43 AM
    • 13,336 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:43 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:43 AM
    Question is for those on BT line rental can they not sign up to the advanced line rental and save 10% + the price increase .
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 28th Jul 15, 8:49 AM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:49 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 8:49 AM
    I wish the writer understood about "contracts!"- the contract with BT doesn't end - you merely move onto "standard" cancellation notice conditions eg 14 days, 31 days etc AFTER your agreed tie in period ends.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

Think you've misunderstood, The increase means you can get out of said contract
    • jay1181
    • By jay1181 28th Jul 15, 9:38 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    jay1181
    • 28th Jul 15, 9:38 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 9:38 AM
    I im just off the phone to bt re the 30days notice to leave and i asked them politely if they could match the 12 a month deal from sse. They said no but they did match the free for 2 years broadband but they could not match the line rental which will be 17.00.

I have went ahead with this because i have also ordered a new separate line from sse with the 12 offer so even adding the 2 together i am paying less for 2 lines than 1 that give me 20 meg odd each download which will mean faster internet for us here. (We live in a type of valley no freeview and very few providers would cover our exchange now that sse does we are happy as we have a choice)

It may be worth asking all they could say is no.
    • Simply Ted
    • By Simply Ted 28th Jul 15, 9:46 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Simply Ted
    • 28th Jul 15, 9:46 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 9:46 AM
    I had an online chat with BT about the increases and was told that I had 14 days to leave without penalty if not happy. I have just taken out a new package on 1st July so not happy with increases. Then saw the OFCEM article:

However, itís worth noting that recent guidelines brought into force by Ofcom mean that customers who are unhappy with the price rises can cancel their contract without paying penalty charges if they contact BT with 30 days of receiving a letter detailing the changes.

Went back on the chat line to point out their error..
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 28th Jul 15, 10:20 AM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Think you've misunderstood, The increase means you can get out of said contract
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    ..haven't misunderstood -if you look at the "tips" eg 1. & 3.- it refers to " near or beyond the end of your contract" - the point I was making, is that you are still in contract ,but have moved onto standard terms for cancellation ie no penalties -I realise that the price increase letter means that you can leave without penalty in this case EVEN IF you are still in a minimum term committment.
    • dave76
    • By dave76 28th Jul 15, 2:32 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dave76
    dont know how angry to be given I moved to BT a few months ago and got 80 quido cashback and 125 sainsburys voucher I assume they cannot claw back those incentives if I cancelled due to the new price hike?

I also took out line rental saver so dont suffer from rental hike yet, just BB increases (£1.20/month). Can you get back the rest of the years one off line rental payment if you cancel early due to price hikes?
  • zimcomp
    how dose this affect the minimum term contract
    i was expecting to pay £41 which is about the max i could and i thought it included broard band phone line and calls

but i didnt notice the call was just for weekend so got stung for another £7.50

now i find towday they want to increase it again
    and im stuggling

im stuck with bt for the best part of £50 a month been with them for 3-4 months my last phone company was £30 and its already a huge leap

so looking thought bt it say this

Early Termination Charges: These charges apply only if you cancel during the minimum term of your contract and are payable for each month of the minimum term outstanding on your contract

so am i able to leave without problm or not
    • asturdy2
    • By asturdy2 28th Jul 15, 6:04 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    asturdy2
    thank god I have just signed up with plusnet, paid 155 advance line rental, fibre free for 6 months and anytime calls, nearly half the £ 52 I was paying bt.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
    • Beancounter
    • By Beancounter 28th Jul 15, 6:24 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Beancounter
    I phoned to cancel as soon as I read about the hike on here then signed up to a decent deal with TalkTalk.

However, got a text reminding me I would still be charged for BT Sport so called to cancel, was offered various things to stay but eventually was offered unlimited broadband with evening an weekend calls, TV Essentials and the full BT Sports pack all for £8.30 a month. Just to make it sweeter they also gave me a £100 Love2Shop voucher so I am effectively paying £2 for the whole year for that. Very happy!

(line rental on top of that though of course)
    • Sven The Apprentice
    • By Sven The Apprentice 28th Jul 15, 6:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sven The Apprentice
    I called to cancel mine, but they said I can't as I'm in contract until December this year. If I did cancel I would have to pay the cancelation fees. Do anyone here know if this is correct or did I have an unhelpful call handler? Any advice will be welcome.
    • mirrorsaw
    • By mirrorsaw 28th Jul 15, 7:45 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    mirrorsaw
    I called to cancel mine, but they said I can't as I'm in contract until December this year. If I did cancel I would have to pay the cancelation fees. Do anyone here know if this is correct or did I have an unhelpful call handler? Any advice will be welcome.
    Originally posted by Sven The Apprentice
    As a BT customer, I received the email informing me of the price increase and it specifically stated I could leave my contract early with no penalty- did you receive such email? If so did you quote it to the person on the phone?
    • Sven The Apprentice
    • By Sven The Apprentice 28th Jul 15, 8:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sven The Apprentice
    Hi, I did receive it - and states "We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days5 if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time."

I told them this, but they said if I had singed up within the last 14 day cooling off period. But that's is not the case. My contract is officially up in December this year. They did try to get me to upgrade which I don't want to do.

Thanks.
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 28th Jul 15, 8:34 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    The website I see doesn't show a broadband price rise, just line rental. I negotiated a cost for broadband when I renewed last November so perhaps that protects me? But my email does have the para re cancelling within 30 days.

This might be a result for me, I'm still going through the Resolver process to try to get BT Sport for free or to be able to cancel Broadband because of the BT Sport charge.

Sounds like time I gave BT a call...
    Piglet
    • shinkyshonky
    • By shinkyshonky 28th Jul 15, 11:42 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    shinkyshonky
    BT...Some things are never free, Someone has to pay for all that BT Football Sport
    ďWhen the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.Ē Socrates

Haters gonna hate
    • Sven The Apprentice
    • By Sven The Apprentice 29th Jul 15, 6:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sven The Apprentice
    I think it's time to give them another call today to see what I can do. Might get them to try and sell me a sim only plan this time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,347Posts Today

6,610Users online

Martin's Twitter