Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Jun 15, 11:04 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE Blog: A £30 surprise from my 19-year-old self
    • 16th Jun 15, 11:04 AM
    MSE Blog: A £30 surprise from my 19-year-old self 16th Jun 15 at 11:04 AM
    "After a quick stopoff at the cashpoint, Iíd jumped back into the taxi with my £30 withdrawal left dangling out of the ATM like a carrot for thieving passers-by..."

Read MSE Anthony H's full blog: A £30 surprise from my 19-year-old self

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 16th Jun 15, 1:59 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    sparky93
    • 16th Jun 15, 1:59 PM
    • 16th Jun 15, 1:59 PM
    left 50quid in a link atm back in 2002, was nr malvern at time, at a deserted petrol station. my account was with barclays. the money was sucked back in and auto refunded.

so i feel its poor / bad of the other banks to not do this too....
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jun 15, 4:22 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Jun 15, 4:22 PM
    • 16th Jun 15, 4:22 PM
    ATMs have retained untaken money for many years (going back to at least the 1980s when I first worked with ATM systems), although obviously that can't be done with the ATMs that just spit the cash out.

To be honest, the banks have been pretty remiss about this, they know when cash has been retained and they should have been doing automatic refunds from the start - in fact, it's an incomplete transaction and the debit should be reversed there and then so the customer's transaction record would never even show an attempt to take money out.
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 17th Jun 15, 10:59 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    • 17th Jun 15, 10:59 AM
    • 17th Jun 15, 10:59 AM
    I left £210 in an ATM 6 year's ago. I was in a rush before picking up DS from school. I only needed £10 but decided to take out the following week's housekeeping money as well. As I pulled on to our drive at home I realised what I'd done and went dashing back but it was nowhere to be seen. Gutted doesn't come close to describing how I felt.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 15, 5:39 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 15, 5:39 PM
    • 17th Jun 15, 5:39 PM
    I left £210 in an ATM 6 year's ago. I was in a rush before picking up DS from school. I only needed £10 but decided to take out the following week's housekeeping money as well. As I pulled on to our drive at home I realised what I'd done and went dashing back but it was nowhere to be seen. Gutted doesn't come close to describing how I felt.
    Originally posted by lurkylurky
    Did you raise it with your bank at the time? If somebody else took the money then you're out of luck, but if they didn't and the cash was retained then as the article describes you are due the money back (plus interest).
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 17th Jun 15, 8:18 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 17th Jun 15, 8:18 PM
    • 17th Jun 15, 8:18 PM
    I got £200 from a cash machine and eventually got to keep it. Feeling slightly guilty now!

I approached a machine at a supermarket, with a pile of money sticking out and pulled it out. I phoned the bank who weren't interested, then I went to the supermarket and handed it in at customer services. A month or so later I got a letter saying it had been passed to the police. Another couple of months or so and I got a letter from the police saying to come and collect it.

I attempted to tell the policeman it should be possible to track the person concerned, but he wasn't interested and insisted it was now mine. So I kept it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

1,594Users online

Martin's Twitter