Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 15th May 15, 4:28 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: BT hikes upfront line rental price for third time in a year
    • 15th May 15, 4:28 PM
    MSE News: BT hikes upfront line rental price for third time in a year 15th May 15 at 4:28 PM
    BT has upped the price of its value line rental (where it's cheaper to pay upfront) for the third time in just a year ...

Read the full story:

BT hikes upfront line rental price for third time in a year

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 15th May 15, 4:52 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    • 15th May 15, 4:52 PM
    • 15th May 15, 4:52 PM
    And the rest will follow like they always do. Wonder how much goes towards cross subsiding football on BT vision. I do feel sorry for footballers poor sods living on pittance I wish I could tell BT where to stick there line rental up there bottom but afraid they own most of the and many of us dont live in a cable area
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th May 15, 7:20 PM
    • 4,464 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th May 15, 7:20 PM
    • 15th May 15, 7:20 PM
    How come telecoms costs are ramping upwards when inflation is as low as it is and still dropping
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th May 15, 8:05 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 15th May 15, 8:05 PM
    • 15th May 15, 8:05 PM
    And why do the phone companies keep increasing the line rental when Openreach - the people who actually provide the line - keep cutting the wholesale line rental year-on-year?
    Last edited by Ectophile; 16-05-2015 at 8:40 PM. Reason: typo
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 15th May 15, 8:09 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 15th May 15, 8:09 PM
    • 15th May 15, 8:09 PM
    BT are thieving opportunists and should be in front of OFCOM.

They have a monopoly on the UK line network and this makes prices rise everywhere.so they should be up in front of the monopolies board as well!

I got rid of them 2 years ago thankfully, but whoever you are with, everyone will see their prices rise
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • oldharryrocks
    • By oldharryrocks 16th May 15, 9:28 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    oldharryrocks
    • 16th May 15, 9:28 AM
    • 16th May 15, 9:28 AM
    And the rest will follow like they always do.
    Originally posted by NeverInDebt
    BT for a change are following in Talk Talks shoes who have been the highest for some while.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 16th May 15, 12:19 PM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 16th May 15, 12:19 PM
    • 16th May 15, 12:19 PM
    I left BT as the costs were rising last year. I returned in February/March as a "new" customer and got £90.90 cash back from Top Cashback and a £80 Sainsbury's grocery voucher. Offsetting that has made my BT Infinity and Line Rental about £10 a month.

From now on I am just going to switch between "new customer" deals. Sky offer a generous cashback through Top Cashback so I suspect I will switch to them for 12 months and then move on to whoever is offering the best sweetners.

It seems to me you just need to switch and be a "new" customer to get any sense of good value from these muppets.
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 16th May 15, 12:32 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Swipe
    • 16th May 15, 12:32 PM
    • 16th May 15, 12:32 PM
    It's all down to BT Sport. Looks like they bit off more than they can chew. Now everyone who couldn't give a damn about football has to suffer as a result.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 16th May 15, 8:43 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 16th May 15, 8:43 PM
    • 16th May 15, 8:43 PM
    I threatened to leave BT last year in response to the price hikes. They offered me an even bigger discount than I already had to get me to stay.

You don't actually have to keep switching, just make it perfectly clear that you will leave unless they give you a better deal. Sometimes you have to go as far as ordering the MAC code before they take you seriously.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 17th May 15, 6:50 PM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    I threatened to leave BT last year in response to the price hikes. They offered me an even bigger discount than I already had to get me to stay.

You don't actually have to keep switching, just make it perfectly clear that you will leave unless they give you a better deal. Sometimes you have to go as far as ordering the MAC code before they take you seriously.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    As far as I knew BT won't negotiate on the main line rental costs, only extra services such as calling packages, features like caller display and reducing the cost of internet access. I am getting Infinity 40GB usage for £8 a month at present which is a discount of £13 for 12 months. I only got the cashback and Sainsbury's card through TCB as new customer.

I am very doubtful BT will rematch the deal next year and give me the cash back too! So hence why I will kick them to the kerb for another provider next year,
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 17th May 15, 8:26 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    It really won't be that long in the future before the 20 quid a month line rental is the norm. Indeed, the way I understand it, if you don't/can't pay by direct debit, the line rental is almost 20 quid a month already. The only way is up it seems.
    • bzd
    • By bzd 18th May 15, 9:10 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bzd
    Isn't this the classic behaviour of a company that's trying to get out of the home line rental business???!!!

For anyone other than BT that's what I'd suspect. BT's case.... ka-ching!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th May 15, 11:13 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Inflation is teetering on the edge of deflation.

Playing with your interest rate too much and your knob will fall off. Now that they can't drop interest rate any further, they are obviously playing with actual price rises to stop us going into deflation.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 18th May 15, 3:08 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    pearl123
    I can't wait to leave them in October. I look forward to haggling with them. They are vastly over-priced.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 18th May 15, 6:51 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    It wouldn't surprise me if BT, or another telecom company, will join Sky in ditching the line rental saver deal, and have all their customers paying monthly.

Line rental increasing due to profits from those who actually use a landline to phone decreasing, how many just have a phone-line for broadband and never use it to make calls?
    • JCL
    • By JCL 19th May 15, 5:34 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    JCL
    They have BT Sport to fund so it's no surprise. That won't be "free" come August when the Champions League starts anyway. They've already said they will introduce a charge.
    MFW 2015 #41 = £20,515/£20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = £26,100/£25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = £10,000/£10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
    • jackknight
    • By jackknight 19th May 15, 2:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackknight
    They sent me notification the price was going up again, so I upped and left them. Vote with your money people, vote with your money.
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 19th May 15, 9:09 PM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    I thought the whole point of these "quad" deals being spun now where you get telly, mobile, internet and land line were supposed to curtail customer churn.

But from my perspective I am not interested in subscription TV and football matches or BT's mobile service. Pay as You Go mobile is very competitive these days.
    • Devonian Rodders
    • By Devonian Rodders 20th May 15, 7:05 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Devonian Rodders
    Line Saver Rental
    I discovered the increase recently when line rental came up for renewal. In 2013 the cost was £129 which increased to £141 last year.
    How BT can justify such increases when inflation is low, is anyones guess.
    By contrast over many months, BT have undertaken a massive advertising campaign offering 12 month contracts for bog standar Broadband AND Infinity at rates 50% or less than existing customers can enjoy, with a shopping card or £125 visa card thrown in.
    As this site so often states "There is no loyalty."
  • CP42
    I joined BT last year because they seemed the best option for truly unlimited broadband as my family are heavy users. Our previous supplier - Post Office - after they changed to TalkTalk, kept slowing & dropping the connection & we also had a few letters saying we'd gone over our limit although they were supposed to be 'unlimited' also!
    I was annoyed that they upped the line rental whilst advertising their 'cheapest deals ever' on the TV! However, until I can find another truly unlimited broadband deal in a year's time (yes, just paid for another year in advance...) we will probably have to stay with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

3,334Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Grrrr. I've sensitive tooth pain after going to the dentist last week for a filling. I've been putting sensodyne? https://t.co/A1Q8sdSukK

• Follow Martin