Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 1:38 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 20Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Insurance2go Mobile Phone Insurance Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 1:38 PM
    Insurance2go Mobile Phone Insurance Discussion 14th May 15 at 1:38 PM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on mobile phone insurance provider:

Insurance2go

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Mobile Phone Insurance Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
Page 1
    • lev441
    • By lev441 15th May 15, 4:06 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lev441
    • 15th May 15, 4:06 PM
    • 15th May 15, 4:06 PM
    I took out a business policy for my iPhone. They had a repair and replace option and a replacement only option. I went for the latter as I was told should I need to make a claim, it would be quicker to go down the replacement only

Two months in, my phone screen smashed. Put the claim through, filled in the paperwork and they sent me a new phone 7 days after I first made contact with the company.

Not as quick as the major network operators but it was considerably cheaper. Couldn't fault the service.
  • Mikedawson5
    • 26th Aug 15, 5:57 PM
    • 26th Aug 15, 5:57 PM
    Glad I read the T's and C's first. This does NOT cover use by family who don't live with you.
    • Harrison88
    • By Harrison88 17th Oct 15, 1:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrison88
    • 17th Oct 15, 1:11 PM
    • 17th Oct 15, 1:11 PM
    Watch out, they're charging £75 a year for their highest package from November which they claim is due to an increase in insurance tax. They also only insure phones younger than 6 months old. This leaves you high and dry come renewal. They're even trying to charge me £10 more just because it's now a year old!
    • KRelihan
    • By KRelihan 20th Oct 15, 1:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KRelihan
    • 20th Oct 15, 1:50 PM
    Beware - Insurance2go Do Not Issue New Phones
    • 20th Oct 15, 1:50 PM
    Following my claim with Insurance2go My iPhone 5 was deemed damaged beyond repair and I looked forward to receiving a replacement. Of course I understood that due to the age of the handset and the many upgrades iPhone has made over the years, the probability of receiving a new iPhone 5 would be unlikely. However, I had reasonably expected that having paid insurance for 2 years and an excess of £50, I would be sent a NEW phone. I was horrified to receive a ‘refurbished’ handset. Albeit an iPhone 5s, its a used item and I have paid new money for old rope.

After some online investigation it seems I’m not the only one to have been misled by insurance2go in this way.

They may be one of the cheapest phone insurers out there but that’s because they are peddling second-hand tat. I would be interested to know exactly what percentage of customers actually receive new handsets? I suspect none.

In conclusion Insurance2goDO NOT PROVIDE NEW HANDSETS.

As John Lydon once said: ‘Ever get the feeling you’ve beencheated?’
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 20th Oct 15, 2:56 PM
    • 4,756 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 20th Oct 15, 2:56 PM
    • 20th Oct 15, 2:56 PM
    So you insured an Iphone5 and they gave you a refurbed 5S - what's the problem?
    • chudies
    • By chudies 9th Nov 15, 11:00 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    chudies
    • 9th Nov 15, 11:00 PM
    Grace period before claiming?
    • 9th Nov 15, 11:00 PM
    Hi
    Does anyone know if there is a grace period before making a claim?
    Thanks in advance!
    Lets hug!!
    • skintscot
    • By skintscot 22nd Nov 15, 5:45 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    skintscot
    • 22nd Nov 15, 5:45 PM
    Insurance2go
    • 22nd Nov 15, 5:45 PM
    I feel absolutely exploited by insurance2go. I insured a mobile and an iPad with them 2 years ago. Just renewed the mobile insurance a month ago at the usual price and have now had an email saying the premium for the tablet is increasing from £40 a year to £84.90. Quite an increase. Their explanation is an increase in insurance tax but the phone premium was the same as last year.
    I am struggling to get cover elsewhere as most insurers won't cover a gadget over 18 months old. Plus I'll miss out on any discount for insuring more than one gadget.

I can't help suspecting insurance2go know this and are jacking up the premium counting on the fact that I won't be able to go elsewhere.

Anyone else had this issue?
    if i had known then what i know now
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 22nd Nov 15, 7:49 PM
    • 20,612 Posts
    • 12,768 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 22nd Nov 15, 7:49 PM
    • 22nd Nov 15, 7:49 PM
    I feel absolutely exploited by insurance2go. I insured a mobile and an iPad with them 2 years ago. Just renewed the mobile insurance a month ago at the usual price and have now had an email saying the premium for the tablet is increasing from £40 a year to £84.90. Quite an increase. Their explanation is an increase in insurance tax but the phone premium was the same as last year.
    I am struggling to get cover elsewhere as most insurers won't cover a gadget over 18 months old. Plus I'll miss out on any discount for insuring more than one gadget.

I can't help suspecting insurance2go know this and are jacking up the premium counting on the fact that I won't be able to go elsewhere.

Anyone else had this issue?
    Originally posted by skintscot
    Is it not covered by your Home Contents Insurance?
    • dgsmith80
    • By dgsmith80 16th Feb 16, 1:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dgsmith80
    Hello All,
    Just an update that currently Gadget Cover has a 20% Discount and you can get the exact same cover for £56 a Year which is almost £15 cheaper than the discounted price from Insurance2Go.
    • daniellekk
    • By daniellekk 8th Apr 16, 5:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daniellekk
    Standard
    As far as I'm aware almost all insurance companies issue refurbished handsets as standard on insurance...
    I used to work for LSG who worked with EE, Vodafone, Barclays, Three, Lloyds and Phones4U and they all used refurbished phones...
    This is standard in the industry and is part of the T&C's...

They aren't really ripping you off or peddling second hand tat... they're doing as they said, replacing your phone for the same make and model or as close to that as possible.
    Unless the phone is damaged or faulty I don't see the issue with receiving a phone that is classed as refurbished. Especially when most 'refurbished phones' are simple handsets that have had their boxes opened and returned under 14 day cooling off periods...
    • flimjo
    • By flimjo 19th Apr 16, 7:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    flimjo
    does not cover under 16
    Hi, I took your recommendation. Filled out all paperwork, set up DD, then it tells me it does not cover under 16. I set up policy for my daughter and her new phone

JIM
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 2nd Jun 16, 1:15 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Took out insurance for my phone yesterday but had to call and cancel it today after reading the policy document they emailed me. Because I bought my phone from Amazon I would have insuffcient proof of purchase (specifically no IMEI number on my Amazon order email). Asked Amazon for it but they could not provide. Therefore had to cancel my policy which Insurance2go cancelled with no problem and said they would give me a full refund.
    • stevejaxon
    • By stevejaxon 24th Jul 16, 8:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stevejaxon
    £5 off?
    "Use the code MSE5 to get £5 off the annual premium on the already-cheapest pick from Insurance2Go*."

I signed up for a monthly payment plan but when I entered the above discount code it wasn't recognised. Perhaps the devil is in the wording, "on the already-cheapest pick", and that's code for the lowest priced policy? If it does MSE should make that more clear and if the discount applies to any policy taken out with Insurance2Go, as I understood it to mean, then perhaps MSE can ask I2Go why my discount wasn't honoured.
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 25th Jul 16, 12:06 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Hi,

Within the write-up, it does state:

"To get the discount, you will need to pay the premium in full as the discount does not apply if you choose to pay the premium on a monthly basis."

Hope this confirmation explains.
    • compsue
    • By compsue 6th Aug 16, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    compsue
    This firm were great on 1st claim....2nd claim were AWFUL..took MONTHS & months of emails/phone calls to get payment
    • Book_reader
    • By Book_reader 27th Nov 16, 10:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Book_reader
    I have joined the forum specifically because I have a problem with Insurance2go and their brokers CityMain.

I have insured with them for several years and this week for the first time I went to make a claim. I called for some information first and everything confirmed I could claim and what would happen. I then went to the site, the only way to claim, filled in the claim form and pressed submit.

Two things then happened; a) I was sent an email asking for proof of purchase from June 2015 when I got the 'phone and took out the insurance and b) they refunded my premium.

Before I got the refund, I wrote back explaining that I don't still have the proof of purchase, it came with the new contract from Vodafone and that all the proofs were sent at the time of taking out the insurance.

They have not responded to my email but have now sent their original email three times. I have replied on these emails with my original one and trying to engage them in a conversation about the issue. No response just the original email coming again with the request for proof.

On the one hand they've refunded the money for the premium without any request for refund and so basically when it comes to claiming, it turns out I'm not insured but on the other hand are asking for proof when I've already submitted it as they won't insure a 'phone without this at the beginning.

It's all feeling a bit scam like. Is anyone else having problems claiming at the moment?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 8th Feb 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    GT60
    Is there any up to date thoughts on Insurance2go?
    thanks
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • jackie1969uk
    • By jackie1969uk 11th Feb 17, 4:54 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    jackie1969uk
    All Positive - No Problems making claims
    As there are so many negative comments on here I thought I would add my experience. Today I purchased my 4th insurance policy, 4th over the last 4 years for different iphones. I have made 3 claims for damages and each one was simple process of sending in the proper paperwork and excess and you can choose to either send phone in for repair or go straight to apple shop and pay for replacement and citymains the broker for insure and go refund the money. I choose this option 3 times as it was the quickest. The process can take about 10 days but considering how much cheaper it is it is worth it. All done online.

There was no problem for phones that imei had changed in swap outs from apple store. Cant comment for phones on contracts as I always purchase phones from apple store and their receipts have the imei numbers included.

Your phone needs to be less than 6 months old on purchase of the insurance but you are able to renew the insurance each year so never lose cover. Renewal for me was the same price minus the discount code. No hard sell on cancelling. Just watch out for auto renewal email if you need to cancel.
    Officially a self proclaimed GEEK
    • GT60
    • By GT60 11th Feb 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    GT60
    Thank Thank you for your reply
    Everywhere i looked there was bad reviews.
    Plus mse are promoting this company and my back account is limitex to two claims per year which ai t much ue if we need to make make three claims.
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,379Posts Today

8,681Users online

Martin's Twitter