Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 5th May 15, 12:06 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Drivers collectively pay 'double' after tax disc overhaul, says AA
    • 5th May 15, 12:06 PM
    MSE News: Drivers collectively pay 'double' after tax disc overhaul, says AA 5th May 15 at 12:06 PM
    The Government has made millions from the 'double taxing' of cars following its radical move to scrap paper tax discs...

Read the full story:

Drivers collectively pay 'double' after tax disc overhaul, says AA

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th May 15, 12:10 PM
    • 24,920 Posts
    • 52,420 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 5th May 15, 12:10 PM
    • 5th May 15, 12:10 PM
    Is this new news?

It was raised and discussed here extensively when the new rules came in.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th May 15, 12:13 PM
    • 27,535 Posts
    • 27,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th May 15, 12:13 PM
    • 5th May 15, 12:13 PM
    Hardly a "radical" move...

And as for...
    The AA says it has heard of cases where a car is transferred from one member of the family to another, but the family have been unpleasantly surprised to find that their VED was not refunded for that month, while the new owner had to purchase VED for the full month.
    Umm, yes, it's a change of keeper. Of course it applies there, too. The AA ought to stick to helping people who've broken down, and leave the hype and scaremongering to the red-top tabloids.

I can't get particularly excited, tbh.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th May 15, 12:18 PM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 17,595 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 5th May 15, 12:18 PM
    • 5th May 15, 12:18 PM
    I don't pay any VED on my car... legally.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • puk999
    • By puk999 5th May 15, 1:41 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    puk999
    • 5th May 15, 1:41 PM
    • 5th May 15, 1:41 PM
    The government should allow tax to expire on any day (similar to a MOT), not just month ends and charge the customer per day of tax used. Introduce a minimum term of a month to stop motorists having tax for only a couple of days and swamping the system.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th May 15, 1:43 PM
    • 9,656 Posts
    • 10,221 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 5th May 15, 1:43 PM
    • 5th May 15, 1:43 PM
    How many threads on this do we have already?
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 5th May 15, 3:34 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,374 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 5th May 15, 3:34 PM
    • 5th May 15, 3:34 PM
    The government should allow tax to expire on any day (similar to a MOT), not just month ends and charge the customer per day of tax used. Introduce a minimum term of a month to stop motorists having tax for only a couple of days and swamping the system.
    Originally posted by puk999
    Or scrap this anachronism once and for all and add the tax onto the price of fuel, then the polluter really does pay.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th May 15, 5:13 PM
    • 27,535 Posts
    • 27,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th May 15, 5:13 PM
    • 5th May 15, 5:13 PM
    The government should allow tax to expire on any day (similar to a MOT), not just month ends and charge the customer per day of tax used.
    Originally posted by puk999
    Which would almost certainly require the entire VED management computer systems to be redeveloped pretty much from scratch, since it's never needed to be any more granular than monthly - so it won't be any more granular than monthly. And that would be a long and costly project.

Or scrap this anachronism once and for all and add the tax onto the price of fuel, then the polluter really does pay.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    I worked the numbers for a similar thread elsewhere a little while ago. It'd be about 12p/litre to break even nationally. That would then be carried very disproportionately, with even low mileage users of fuel efficient cars seeing a rise in annual cost - and many of them are pensioners. The other group that would be very heavily hit is business, especially manufacturing and haulage. You'd also see a big rise in illicit fuel purchasing - cross-border in NI, cross-channel in the SE, and all sorts of grey importation and dodgy storage/transportation. If you've ever been to Tunisia, it's very common to see people standing at the roadside with piles of plastic barrels and a funnel - and pickups loaded with empties heading south to re-stock in Libya, and overloaded with full heading north.

Or we could put this "double-dip" into proportion, and remember that we're talking about a minority of those buying used cars (2/3 of used vehicle keeper changes were of un-taxed cars, from the trade), and that we're talking about a tenner or so on average - less than half what insurers usually charge to change the car on a policy, and a fraction of the cost of changing vehicle by the time you've factored in the time and hassle factor.
  • archived user
    • 5th May 15, 7:37 PM
    • 5th May 15, 7:37 PM
    Find it a bit rich the AA have "expressed outrage" given their auto renewal price tactics

Not condoning the DVLA either but not surprised either.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th May 15, 7:13 AM
    • 8,936 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Simple solution would be to have any tax not refunded due to the mid month cancellation remaining valid regardless of ownership.

Potentially loosing about £15 when you change cars is miniscule compared to the total cost of driving.
    Don't harass a hippie, you'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
  • ALNorton
    I taxed my car the 1st Feb but then 'sold' the car to a family member. I still haven't received a refund, despite two phone calls and completing the online complaints form.
    • horse54101
    • By horse54101 6th May 15, 9:20 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    horse54101
    so the answer would seem to be buy/sell your car at the beginning/end of the month?
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 7th May 15, 12:35 AM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Which would almost certainly require the entire VED management computer systems to be redeveloped pretty much from scratch, since it's never needed to be any more granular than monthly - so it won't be any more granular than monthly. And that would be a long and costly project.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Probably not.

The banks moved used to calculate interest on mortgage balances based on the amount outstanding at the start of the year, even though capital was paid off month by month.

They now work it out daily.

It is a Tory stealth tax.

Oh look - there's an election in a few hours!
    • wapow
    • By wapow 7th May 15, 12:51 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    wapow
    If you do the math they could be making a lot of money by not refunding mid month sales.

I had a scenario where I bought the car and the seller wanted me to tax it. However, the log book was with the seller. Also, the MOT went in a day before and hadn't shown on their systems so I couldn't tax it online!!!

So I rang the DVLA and DVSA and after much call transferring, I recorded an agent telling me that the seller can tax a car on my behalf, with my name on the logbook, even though the MOT hasn't gone in the system yet.

Seller went to PO, got some crap but stuck to her guns and the POffice had to ring DVLA and DVSA and finally accepted her payment!
    • tedted
    • By tedted 7th May 15, 12:57 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    tedted
    no right as mot shows up straight away as all mot stations are connected to the dvsa computer
    • wapow
    • By wapow 7th May 15, 1:02 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    wapow
    Hello

No it doesn't unfortunately. You can find more information on the DVLA/DVSA website on .gov

The POffice can check directly though I believe, as they did, because you cant tax a vehicle without it having a valid MOT pass cert.
    • tedted
    • By tedted 7th May 15, 9:16 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    tedted
    i have mot'ed cars phoned the owner and they can tax the vehicle straight away either online or at the post office
  • electron007
    Taxing a used car con job
    I purchased a car on 21st may. I sent off the change of ownership and SORN, but nothing happened.
    I spoke to them and they said only the registered owner can SORN the car? I cant SORN it until I am the registered keeper. I don't want it until July but have to pay the back tax even though its not on the road? because its not SORN and I cant sorn it until I am the keeper.
    A viscous circle here,, you have to pay the back tax now it seems.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 22nd Jun 15, 7:41 AM
    • 8,936 Posts
    • 7,894 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I cant SORN it until I am the registered keeper. I don't want it until July but have to pay the back tax even though its not on the road? because its not SORN and I cant sorn it until I am the keeper.
    A viscous circle here,, you have to pay the back tax now it seems.
    Originally posted by electron007

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

"If the vehicle isn’t already registered in your name, fill in the appropriate part of the V5C and send it with the V890 SORN form."

A viscous circle. Like these?.

Last edited by Norman Castle; 22-06-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie, you'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 24th Jun 15, 3:00 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Surely the fair answer to this is to allow the new owner to tax the car from the start of the next month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter