Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 29th Apr 15, 9:21 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Warning: You need a DVLA code to hire a car in UK or abroad
    • 29th Apr 15, 9:21 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Warning: You need a DVLA code to hire a car in UK or abroad 29th Apr 15 at 9:21 AM
    Motorists planning to hire a car may need to show a code to do so, which is valid only for 72 hours, from 8 June...

Read the full story:

Warning: You need a DVLA code to hire a car in UK or abroad

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Boltonlass
    • By Boltonlass 29th Apr 15, 10:57 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Boltonlass
    • 29th Apr 15, 10:57 AM
    • 29th Apr 15, 10:57 AM
    Crazy - sounds to me like another EU farce. Not only will we have to contact DVLA within 72 hrs of hiring, but we will still have to take the paper document in case hire firms aren't aware of the change! So how exactly has that made it in any way easier for the paying public?
    • benjus
    • By benjus 29th Apr 15, 11:17 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    • 29th Apr 15, 11:17 AM
    • 29th Apr 15, 11:17 AM
    As I've said in other threads, I can see this being an issue when hiring in the UK or in destinations where lots of British people go. And these places will probably get up to speed quickly with the changes.

But "abroad" is a big place - are we really expecting every car hire place in "abroad" to keep up to speed with the UK's (and every other country's) systems for handling driving endorsements? More to the point, do they actually care about endorsements? I don't think I've ever been asked for my counterpart when hiring cars in more far-flung destinations.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 29th Apr 15, 11:34 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 29th Apr 15, 11:34 AM
    • 29th Apr 15, 11:34 AM
    It sounds like some kind of desperate attempt to protect us from identity theft by greasy car rental clerks from dodgy companies.

The normal car rental procedure requires that we hand over so much information, that it's a free pass for ID thieves. By handing over my driving license, the only thing they don't get is my National Insurance Number.

If you only give them a temporary reference number, it would be a lot more secure, but you still have to show them your Driving License any way, so the only thing the ID thief hasn't got is your National Insurance Number, exactly like before.

The only rational explanation is, the DVLA is so strapped for cash, that they haven't got the budget for a proper web enabled system, so legitimate retailers can register and make automated enquiries. DVLA has doomed their call centre with a deluge of calls that they will sink under.
  • davebush
    • 29th Apr 15, 1:21 PM
    • 29th Apr 15, 1:21 PM
    1/ Is the code any use if the rental office doesn't have an internet connection?

2/ If the rental office does have an internet connection, can't they just use my driving licence number and NI number to look it up themselves?
    • Boltonlass
    • By Boltonlass 29th Apr 15, 2:36 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Boltonlass
    • 29th Apr 15, 2:36 PM
    • 29th Apr 15, 2:36 PM
    1/ Is the code any use if the rental office doesn't have an internet connection?

2/ If the rental office does have an internet connection, can't they just use my driving licence number and NI number to look it up themselves?
    Originally posted by davebush
    1. Shouldn't think there are many car hire firms without internet connection!

2. Probably, but do you really think they are going to be that obliging if they have a queue of customers waiting? There may well be some data protection laws that would prevent them looking at your details, I have no idea but I wouldn't personally want to risk leaving it to some grumpy, tired, overworked member of staff who speaks limited English.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 29th Apr 15, 3:05 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:05 PM
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:05 PM
    I was never asked about counter part abroad and I travel a lot and rent cars quite often. I don't even bother taking it with me anywhere so I won't bother with codes as well.

• Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 29th Apr 15, 3:30 PM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:30 PM
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:30 PM
    So far this has all been about car hire, but will this also affect those who have a 'loan / courtesy' car for the day when taking your car into the garage for its annual service?
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • jimlad68
    • By jimlad68 29th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jimlad68
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    hire car say a week into holiday when your 72 hours is up
    • 29th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    How do you go on if you only want to hire your car say 1 week into your holiday and have no internet connection. Come to that what if you have no internet connection at home.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 29th Apr 15, 3:56 PM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    eDicky
    Crazy - sounds to me like another EU farce. Not only will we have to contact DVLA within 72 hrs of hiring, but we will still have to take the paper document in case hire firms aren't aware of the change! So how exactly has that made it in any way easier for the paying public?
    Originally posted by Boltonlass
    I don't think the EU can be blamed for the farce of this uniquely British system of a paper counterpart to a photocard driving licence, to prove its validity, now being perpetuated electronically for our further convenience.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • pistonchick72
    Do you still need to take a DVLA code with you if you have already booked your car hire from the UK? (I've already booked mine for June - there's no mention about it on my collection voucher from Europcar)
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 29th Apr 15, 6:12 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    Prompted by this article, for the first time I have used the gov.uk site to check my drivers license.

I am slightly concerned that there are no warnings for those of us who have C1 on our licenses to tell us that since last October I think, we can't use C1 privileges to drive a vehicle over 3500kg for work for example unless we have satisfied the requirements of an EU style Certificate of Competence.

Basically it is just a week in a classroom I think, and then we get wait for it, wait for it! ... not a paper license but a second piece of plastic with our ugly mug on it I think that looks like a driver license photocard.

Can anyone clarify?

To bring my enquiry slightly back to the original topic, I recall once moving myself by hiring a largish Ford Cargo truck from Ryder Truck Rental - can I still do that without paying for a week in the classroom?
    • farci
    • By farci 29th Apr 15, 6:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    farci
    Let's ask the question the other way round.

All EU licences have the same format, so do UK car hire companies have the facility to check out visitors to this country for endorsements?

No - I didn't think so. The system is additional bureaucracy and of no value
    • wacko911
    • By wacko911 29th Apr 15, 6:25 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    wacko911
    What's wrong with a unique code printed on the photo card that anyone can them enter with your driving licence number and instantly be able to check for any convictions? This 72hr code is a load of nonsense.
    • Boltonlass
    • By Boltonlass 29th Apr 15, 6:51 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Boltonlass
    Imagine the logistics of being on holiday and deciding ad hoc to hire a car for the day? Firstly find an internet connection then keep your fingers crossed that the DVLA site doesn't go down; finally hope that the DVLA gets your code to you in time to hire the car.
    There has got to be an easier way.
    I am rather hoping that it will go the same way as the French idea about everyone carrying 2 breathalysers in their car, i.e that they have a re-think and decide it's all a bit silly and totally impractical.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 29th Apr 15, 9:28 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    To be honest I have driven hire cars in Europe more than once a year and I think the only outfits who ever want to see the paper part of the licence are UK hire desks.

Anyone ever been turned down in Europe for showing the plastic but not the paper?

We Brits do so easily get caught up in our own bureaucracy, especially when it is our interpretation of EU directives

PS have the breathalysers in France been dropped ? I think I got mine on the ferry a coupla years ago (the analysers not the breath!).
    Last edited by agarnett; 29-04-2015 at 9:30 PM.
    • theloft
    • By theloft 30th Apr 15, 7:52 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    Emergency Car Hire
    Does anyone know what happens if you need to hire a car in an emergency or at short notice ? I can just imagine the DVLA website being overwhelmed at times unless the issue of these codes are automatic.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • Boltonlass
    • By Boltonlass 30th Apr 15, 8:14 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Boltonlass
    To be honest I have driven hire cars in Europe more than once a year and I think the only outfits who ever want to see the paper part of the licence are UK hire desks.

Anyone ever been turned down in Europe for showing the plastic but not the paper?

We Brits do so easily get caught up in our own bureaucracy, especially when it is our interpretation of EU directives

PS have the breathalysers in France been dropped ? I think I got mine on the ferry a coupla years ago (the analysers not the breath!).
    Originally posted by agarnett
    There are no fines in France for not carrying breathalysers and therefore no necessity to take them!
    I must admit to having taken my paper licence with me abroad on numerous occasions and not once having had to produce it, very annoying.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 30th Apr 15, 9:08 AM
    • 5,752 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Imagine the logistics of being on holiday and deciding ad hoc to hire a car for the day? Firstly find an internet connection then keep your fingers crossed that the DVLA site doesn't go down; finally hope that the DVLA gets your code to you in time to hire the car.

...and you have to be able to print the code off from what I can ascertain!!
    • crittertog
    • By crittertog 30th Apr 15, 9:28 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    crittertog
    1. Shouldn't think there are many car hire firms without internet connection!
    You might be surprised ... there are parts of the UK where it is not possible to get any kind of internet connection (i.e. no ADSL, 3G/4G, or fibre coverage). Plus, corporate networks are typically locked-down, so the company's IT department may need to explicitly allow access to the DVLA's site...

What's wrong with a unique code printed on the photo card that anyone can them enter with your driving licence number and instantly be able to check for any convictions?
    Originally posted by wacko911
    Because it grants time-limited access to your details for an appropriate period of time. If your suggestion were implemented and the clerk had nefarious purposes and were to keep this code, it would give them permanent access to your details (assuming the code didn't change every time you had your licence updated, they'd be able to see your new address, etc).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,179Posts Today

8,625Users online

Martin's Twitter