Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 28th Apr 15, 4:28 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes
    • 28th Apr 15, 4:28 PM
    MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes 28th Apr 15 at 4:28 PM
    We've been contacted by dozens of savvy MoneySavers who have been putting our haggling tips to good use to cut costs...

Read the full story:

How to beat Sky price hikes

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 28th Apr 15, 5:21 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 62,134 Thanks
    janE1956
    • 28th Apr 15, 5:21 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 5:21 PM
    rang sky on Saturday and got £12.50 a month off for 10 months, thanks to seeing a lady had done similar on MSE. Found a 03 number so even the call was free, as others have said I was polite but firm threatened to go to Virgin too
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 28th Apr 15, 5:56 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 28th Apr 15, 5:56 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 5:56 PM
    I phoned up to cancel Sky Sports, Sky Movies and HD. I was then offered £10 off for 10 months.

I did not accept, and went through with the cancellation.

Then on the last day of cancellation notice I rang up to 'check when it was being cancelled'. They asked why I was cancelling, I said cost. They then 'found' a last minute saver deal for 50% off for 12 months. From £70 to £35!

Hold out and great things await!!
    • MatthewHillman
    • By MatthewHillman 28th Apr 15, 7:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MatthewHillman
    • 28th Apr 15, 7:39 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 7:39 PM
    We got in touch with Sky shortly after we got the price increase letter (we were hit with the full £4.50 a month increase). We came away with £10 discount per month for 10 months. I was hoping for more, but even in retentions they held very firm. My advice: don't panic and let them wait while you decide, they won't hang up on you.

Overall I'm pleased with £100 saving for the year - not to be sniffed at!

The major problem I have is where I live we have very poor Freeview coverage, and no Virgin Media coverage. Sky know that they have no competition here. I got in touch with Virgin, but sadly they have no plans to cable my street.

Perhaps useful to note there was a condition with the £10 off per month for 10 months offer: a 12 month re-contract period, so we are committed to Sky for 12 more months, while we get the discount for 10. (This works out fine for us, as we don't have a comparable alternative to switch to, but it will be interesting to see what happens after the 10 months).

Side note: we got a letter today offering us insurance on our Sky box (£99 for 12 months). Had we taken this product this would have wiped out our saving instantly. The letter got filed in the shredder!

Good luck, and go for it. Think how many people are paying £100 more over the year than they need to!
    Last edited by MatthewHillman; 28-04-2015 at 8:06 PM.
    • mike-soundcity
    • By mike-soundcity 28th Apr 15, 11:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mike-soundcity
    • 28th Apr 15, 11:09 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 11:09 PM
    I mistakenly (after having a couple of beers) clicked for Sky Sports5 thinking that I would get free Broadband for 12 months discovered that the lower price deal I already had was cancelled and that I was now 'tied in' for two years!! My Monthly bill has now risen by more than £20 and there's nothing I can do about it!
    I wouldn't mind... But I don't even like football!!!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 29th Apr 15, 6:06 AM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 29th Apr 15, 6:06 AM
    • 29th Apr 15, 6:06 AM
    If you have the triple play deal of TV,phone & broadband negotiate on all 3 but DON'T cancel the broadband/phone elements initially if you don't get a good offer,just cancel the TV element.
    1. The Sky box will still give you TV services -Freesat from Sky
    2. The paid for services can be switched on and off within hours

Then if you still can't get a deal,find a new telephone/bband provider and get them to handle the transfer of those services.Too many tales of customers cancelling everything then finding that they haven't got a working phone or the internet
  • kheywood
    • 29th Apr 15, 7:49 AM
    Not happy with price increase
    • 29th Apr 15, 7:49 AM
    I called Sky as not happy with price increase they gave me £4.50 off my Variety Bundle, reduced my line rental by £6.41 a month and reduced my Unlimited Broadband to free for 10 months.
    This reduced my bill from £53.90 to £34.99 for 10 months!
    • Finishrich
    • By Finishrich 29th Apr 15, 9:11 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Finishrich
    • 29th Apr 15, 9:11 AM
    • 29th Apr 15, 9:11 AM
    Ok so it took half an hour of my life but happy to come away with 40% discount for 6 months on a 12 month contract.

There was also a 20% discount for 5 years mentioned but I'd rather take my chances of an annual haggle than tie in for 5 years!

The increase letter prompted me to call them. The initial offer hardly even covered the price increase, I was quite prepared to cancel and listen to the long spells of silence and I think the 40% was about the third offer they came up with.

• scott100
    • 29th Apr 15, 9:47 AM
    sky increase
    • 29th Apr 15, 9:47 AM
    hi,
    can anybody tell me if they got any money off , while still in contract, as i signed up on a good deal back in February and now have to pay £3 extra a month making my good deal not so good now
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 29th Apr 15, 9:49 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    All,

For info, I am my third year with with Sky on a 50% off deal for Sky entertainment and Sky Sports packages. I am now paying £23.50 per month for this. Every year when my deal/contract is coming to an end, I just give 30 days notice to cancel it. I don't phone Sky during these 30 days and just let them contact me. I make sure the marketing box is ticked on Sky account.

Then as soon as the 30 day period has elapsed, I get a 50% off deal. This year I went online and had a chat with their offshore team in India to get the deal.

Anyone can do it and most people get offered the 50% off deal. Some people, who actually go through with their cancel and wait a few weeks, will get at least 60% off deals for their TV package but I have never tried this.

My b/band and phone is with Plusnet and I only pay £12.50 per month (inc line rental) but that is another story.
    Last edited by stephenliverpool1; 29-04-2015 at 9:55 AM.
    • missyjules
    • By missyjules 29th Apr 15, 10:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    missyjules
    Sky Hike
    I rang last week, was very polite but firm after they were going to hike our bill by £3 a month. Threatened to leave and they gave us £10 off for 10 months.
  • prettypaddy123
    sky price increase
    I phoned sky informed them l could not afford the increase, last year l saved £60 that way, they replied due to your loyalty as a long term customer we will not increase your subscription, so this year l will be saving £42, and l will continue to haggle at every sky increase.
  • erskine
    Sky
    Your hints are great. But I have no cable and freeview is unreliable even though I am only 35 miles from London.
    It limits your bargaining power. I wonder if others have the same problem
    • womble65
    • By womble65 29th Apr 15, 11:28 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,846 Thanks
    womble65
    Just phoned sky and got a £15 a month reduction for 10 months. Sky chap was very helpful and call only took 10 minutes.
    Everyone seems normal until you get to know them
  • mrich74
    Sky Price Hikes
    I rang on Saturday after getting a £4.50 increase through. It was the third increase in 12-18 months. Total bill was going up to £98.50 for tv, phone and broadband. I said I was considering cancellation and I also quoted the fact they had just paid £5b for Premier League rights plus last week they announced just short of £1.2b operating profit and yet they were putting my bills up. I'd also been having problems with my phone line affecting incoming calls and sometimes broadband speed.

I have managed to get an increased TV package from the Family Bundle to the Variety Bundle plus they have upgraded my broadband to Fibre Unlimited from the standard unlimited with the new hub and switch on fee thrown in for nothing. Tied into the TV for another 12m and broadband for 18m but my price with the upgrades is around £70 for the next 10m before increasing back to full price (with the new package it should be around £115 a month). They did say however to call back in 10 months and they will look to negotiate again to try and keep the low price. Oh, phone line fixed as well for nothing!

Used some of the tips from this website but the most important advice I can give is don't get frustrated. Keep it sweet and build up a rapport with whoever you are talking to as it goes a long long way.
  • gaoler
    Sky Hike
    I just did an online chat with Sky and asked if when I had a replacement HD box supplied my contract was automatically renewed, I have been out of contract for many years. I was told it had renewed as effectively it was the new warranty on the box, the chap then asked why and I explained about the having notification of the new rise. After abut 5 minutes of chatting I was "rewarded" for be a loyal customer with a £15 a month reduction for 10 months if I renewed my contract again, considering I was only a couple of months into the "new" contract t made no odds to me so gladly accepted. £36 down to £21, more like it should be really.
    • GSMGuy
    • By GSMGuy 29th Apr 15, 11:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GSMGuy
    Just rang to "cancel" due to price increases, and was offered 60% off TV, yes 60% for 12 months, and no new contract! (we are way out of contract) Our monthly bill has now gone from £104.65 to £76.45 for the next 12 months, a saving of £338.40 over the year! (Our bill is high as we have Variety, Movies, 4 HD boxes, Bband and phone)

CSR guy said he's never sen such a high discount, esp with no new contract!!

Go haggle!!

Mike
    • GSMGuy
    • By GSMGuy 29th Apr 15, 11:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GSMGuy
    Your hints are great. But I have no cable and freeview is unreliable even though I am only 35 miles from London.
    It limits your bargaining power. I wonder if others have the same problem
    Originally posted by erskine
    I lie - I cannot get cable at home, but I always tell Sky that I can! Works wonders..

Mike
    • ellielovesem
    • By ellielovesem 29th Apr 15, 1:19 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    ellielovesem
    All,

For info, I am my third year with with Sky on a 50% off deal for Sky entertainment and Sky Sports packages. I am now paying £23.50 per month for this. Every year when my deal/contract is coming to an end, I just give 30 days notice to cancel it. I don't phone Sky during these 30 days and just let them contact me. I make sure the marketing box is ticked on Sky account.

Then as soon as the 30 day period has elapsed, I get a 50% off deal. This year I went online and had a chat with their offshore team in India to get the deal.

Anyone can do it and most people get offered the 50% off deal. Some people, who actually go through with their cancel and wait a few weeks, will get at least 60% off deals for their TV package but I have never tried this.

My b/band and phone is with Plusnet and I only pay £12.50 per month (inc line rental) but that is another story.
    Originally posted by stephenliverpool1
    This is my advice if you don't want any hassle and is exactly what I did. I transferred phone and broadband over to Plusnet to give me good leverage for the TV stuff. The TV did actually get cut off and went without for a day or two but once I signed up again it came on straightaway. I will be doing the same when my deal runs out in September although I may try and hold out a bit longer this time to see if I can get a bigger discount
    - Just because I love this emoticon!
    • timmo44
    • By timmo44 29th Apr 15, 2:34 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    timmo44
    If you are through to retentions and not getting what you want, do the standard threaten to cancel and go with Freesat, BT etc. Then the golden manoeuvre, say to the person you are speaking to:

"OK so I've decided to cancel the service completely and confirmed that to you. I have to go, can I take your name and leave you to action that for me?"

This tells them that you really are going to cancel and they'll desperately try to keep you on the call then ask someone senior there to make you another offer. I did this with them to get a 2TB box cheap when I'd already had a discounted 1TB box. They would not budge. I really meant it and they credited the discount amount off the box to my bill. Job done.
    BE NICE - IT'S FREE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,171Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter