Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 20th Apr 15, 4:53 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    SSE broadband feedback
    • 20th Apr 15, 4:53 PM
    SSE broadband feedback 20th Apr 15 at 4:53 PM
    Hi all,

SSE broadband has recently been put in our broadband guide as a top pick.

We're after feedback from people who have applied for this offer and want to know your experience or if you've had any trouble getting the broadband.

Thanks for all help in advance.
Page 1
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 22nd Apr 15, 12:21 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    • 22nd Apr 15, 12:21 PM
    MSE News: SSE takes a major plunge into phone & broadband. Is it any good?
    • 22nd Apr 15, 12:21 PM
    Energy giant SSE has taken a leap into the phone and broadband market, and its package rockets into the best buys...

Read the full story:

SSE takes a major plunge into phone & broadband. Is it any good?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 22nd Apr 15, 2:10 PM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 22nd Apr 15, 2:10 PM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 2:10 PM
    I fail to understand how any ISP can be described as a 'Best Buy' when it is an untested product. There's a whole lot more to Broadband Supply than quoted prices ... the reality is who can actually deliver the product consistently at the required speeds and time alone will settle that score.

The Internet is littered with unsatisfied customers who were promised the Ultimate experience only to discover that they were at the end of a cable that led nowhere but to an oversubscribed street cabinet.

Welcome to the world of fables ... (failed cables).
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 22nd Apr 15, 4:50 PM
    • 6,485 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 22nd Apr 15, 4:50 PM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 4:50 PM
    Don't go via the MSE links if you want to save money!

Instead go via TopCashBack which is offering £50.50 cash back on this deal and more on the others.

I hope this was just an oversight on MSE's part and not a new policy of failing to mention options that prevent them earning commission.
    • macman
    • By macman 22nd Apr 15, 5:03 PM
    • 43,303 Posts
    • 18,482 Thanks
    macman
    • 22nd Apr 15, 5:03 PM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 5:03 PM
    It's a resold BT Wholesale product, so the service will be the same as any other similar supplier. The Top Pick ranking is purely based on the heavy discounting offered.
    Primus was long rated a Top Pick on MSE as well, before they turned themselves into Fuel, and nobody ever rated them highly for service.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 23rd Apr 15, 6:37 AM
    • 8,129 Posts
    • 6,948 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 23rd Apr 15, 6:37 AM
    • 23rd Apr 15, 6:37 AM
    it's not available to people living in the Scottish Highlands, the Channel Islands or Hull.
    Whats wrong with Hull?.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Tetra
    • By Tetra 23rd Apr 15, 9:09 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tetra
    • 23rd Apr 15, 9:09 AM
    OverRide & Hull
    • 23rd Apr 15, 9:09 AM
    BT OpenReach does not serve Hull (while most of the country's telephone service was provided by the Post Office, then BT; Hull's telephone lines were owned by the local authority).

Does anyone know if SSE telephone service allows calls via short code to Over Ride providers?
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 23rd Apr 15, 10:45 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 23rd Apr 15, 10:45 AM
    • 23rd Apr 15, 10:45 AM

Instead go via TopCashBack which is offering £50.50 cash back on this deal and more on the others.

I hope this was just an oversight on MSE's part and not a new policy of failing to mention options that prevent them earning commission.
    Originally posted by Reaper

Thank you for highlighting that.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 23rd Apr 15, 3:26 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 23rd Apr 15, 3:26 PM
    • 23rd Apr 15, 3:26 PM
    Just a pure guess now. BT Openreach is sitting on a mountain of ADSL circuit boards in cabinets. What are they going to get if they try to rip them out? A load of engineer's overtime costs and a landfill nightmare. Call up some low rent MBA pals, and do a deal.

In two years time, nobody will be on ADSL any way.

Sell the kit to ISIS? They will have conquered Middle East and Africa by then. They are not that dumb, probably go straight for 5G wireless technology.
    • Graham1
    • By Graham1 23rd Apr 15, 4:49 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Graham1
    One thing not mentioned in the news article is the £30 one-off connection fee. Their price list pdf documents on their site summarise their traffic management policy (slowing down P2P at peak times etc.)
    • Mosler
    • By Mosler 26th Apr 15, 2:56 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mosler
    Install and connection charges
    I've rang SSE a few times asking about the line install and broadband connection charges stated in the PDF files but I've always been told that at the moment they are being wiped.

Regarding the traffic management, if someone was using Catch-up TV through their TV or set-top box, would this be slowed down at peak times?

I've been comparing SSE with Fuel broadband who don't use traffic management at peak times but their customer service and billing has bad reviews.

Thanks
    • MysteryMan00
    • By MysteryMan00 28th Apr 15, 4:35 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    MysteryMan00
    Argh!
    Argh!

Trying to switch providers is a nightmare - especially as I have to move to a BT Openreach line so it's not a simple switch over. Made all the more difficult by all parties involved. Except me, of course, I'm just trying to ask questions that pre-empt and forewarn me of all issues so I can pick the least painful path. What an afternoon!

Anyway, I'm going to give SSE a go and hope I get the hoped for savings. If they pull a trick on me it probably won't be for too much so I'm going to take the plunge.

At least for 2 years. Then I'm sure I'll have to move again

Argh!
    • an_ecunemical_matter
    • By an_ecunemical_matter 28th Apr 15, 6:43 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    an_ecunemical_matter
    Snipped.....

Instead go via

TopCashBack
    which is offering £50.50 cash back on this deal........
    Originally posted by Reaper
    I got £52.50 from Topcashback on the basic deal today.

Rang EE to renew who said £132 upfront and £6 a month ( I'm with them on £2 a month), he wouldn't go below £3 a month. I told him to save the deal and he said ok but he'd ring back in a couple of hours (it was 11 am).

Guess what- no call back and I'm on they way to SSE, £144 a yr vice £168 and hopefully better than the abysmal EE service. ��
    Last edited by an_ecunemical_matter; 28-04-2015 at 6:45 PM.
  • mark_t
    Extra details
    I emailed SSE with a couple of questions about this offer, and I'm posting the answers here in case they're useful to someone else.

Technical support for the broadband is via a freephone number - 0800 197 5446 (big difference from my current provider who charges 9p per minute)

The model of wireless router you get sent depends upon whether you're going for the cable or ADSL (phone line) service.

ADSL - Technicolor TG582n
    Fibre - Technicolor TG799vn V2

Each of these has 4 Ethernet ports in the back.

You can find full technical details about each of these (if that's your sort of thing) by googling the model numbers. I'd post links, but I'm not allowed yet.

Hope that's useful.
    • paulwaiting
    • By paulwaiting 30th Apr 15, 1:30 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    paulwaiting
    SSE may cease your existing line and number !
    Contacted SSE as this seams a good deal but for some beware they do not offer a transfer of service meaning you could be without broadband for between seven and twenty one days.
    I was happily with the Post Office so I could have BT Wholesale service levels without having to deal with BT Retail (I'm an ex BT engineer) unfortunately Post Office Home Phone Broadband moved their service over to TalkTalk LLU and with it my line away from the BT kit in the exchange.
    Now when I search for availability of fiber I get an error on many web sites as my line is no longer on BT Wholesale.
    On contacting suppliers it appears that the most competitive will only offer to cease my current line / number and purchase a new one from BT Wholesale. Hence the big delays in service and loss of number. I've contacted Ofcom and they have explained very clearly that it is the "Gaining provider" that needs to request a transfer rather than a cease. Unfortunately the most competitive ones don't.
    Be aware switching to a provider that does not use BT Wholesale equipment can restrict your options in the future.
    • pms01
    • By pms01 30th Apr 15, 3:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pms01
    I'm with talk talk, i put my land line number in the sse number check and it states i dont have a bt landline? bot on the wall states OPENREACH
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 30th Apr 15, 3:42 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    BT OpenReach does not serve Hull (while most of the country's telephone service was provided by the Post Office, then BT; Hull's telephone lines were owned by the local authority).

Does anyone know if SSE telephone service allows calls via short code to Over Ride providers?
    Originally posted by Tetra
    Good question. I asked their help desk person a couple of weeks back before this latest offer and they could not give me an answer - in fact I don't think they understood the question. I tried to give an example but they were too young to remember 131 to call via Mercury in the old days. Lets hope someone already with SSE can answer this question.
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 30th Apr 15, 3:54 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    pms01 - yes, I went through TopCashback to get the cashback, but couldn't complete because I'm with TalkTalk too (ie it's not a BT Openreach phone, even though it used to be).

Anyway, I phoned SSE and after waiting an age to get through, and then the set-up took 25-30 minutes.

They have said that the connection will be 23 days for the phone, and a further 7 days for the BB, and that I might be without BB for one day. There is no connection fee and a free router will be sent (no delivery charges etc).

So I'm happy with this, providing the fair usage is OK. But I think they all say this, don't they?

I phoned TalkTalk for a MAC (I didn't need this, by the way, as my bundle with them doesn't have a MAC applied - it's an LLU network - I have no idea particularly what that means!). TalkTalk offered £14.70 line rental and free BB. So if you don't want to move (I am well out of contract, if that made a difference), try that!
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 30th Apr 15, 4:00 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    Contacted SSE as this seams a good deal but for some beware they do not offer a transfer of service meaning you could be without broadband for between seven and twenty one days.
    I was happily with the Post Office so I could have BT Wholesale service levels without having to deal with BT Retail (I'm an ex BT engineer) unfortunately Post Office Home Phone Broadband moved their service over to TalkTalk LLU and with it my line away from the BT kit in the exchange.
    Now when I search for availability of fiber I get an error on many web sites as my line is no longer on BT Wholesale.
    On contacting suppliers it appears that the most competitive will only offer to cease my current line / number and purchase a new one from BT Wholesale. Hence the big delays in service and loss of number. I've contacted Ofcom and they have explained very clearly that it is the "Gaining provider" that needs to request a transfer rather than a cease. Unfortunately the most competitive ones don't.
    Be aware switching to a provider that does not use BT Wholesale equipment can restrict your options in the future.
    Originally posted by paulwaiting
    paulwaiting - thank you for this information. Really helpful and explains why TalkTalk customers cannot access this offer online (and therefore via TopCashBack). It's annoying, but presumably we are now going back to a BT system. I guess that SSE must be covering the reconnection fee (which TalkTalk say is £130) as they definitely told me there was no connection fee (plus free router).
    • mgcs
    • By mgcs 30th Apr 15, 4:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mgcs
    Too good to be true?
    This sounds like an astonishingly good deal!
    But too good to be true?
    I rang them to ask if I can (as with BT) still use 18866/18185 over-ride providers to minimise call costs. The call centre guy had never heard of such a thing - nor had the two (more senior?) people he asked. Not a great start!
    He also told me that I can't sign-up now, for the service to start in Sept, when both my BT contracts expire.
    Does anyone know the answer to the 18866/18185 question (they charge just 5p per CALL, not per minute) to ordinary UK numbers, with no call set-up cost.
    And what about SSE's customer service? - though, ultimately, one is still at the mercy of the dreaded Openreach, unfortunately...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,922Posts Today

6,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin