Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion
    • 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion 15th Apr 15 at 3:47 PM

Hi,

We've written a new pre-existing travel insurance guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca
Page 1
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 15th Apr 15, 8:34 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    busiscoming2
    • 15th Apr 15, 8:34 PM
    • 15th Apr 15, 8:34 PM
    My DH has a pre exisiting condition. He is quite uninsurable with many companies. Colombus direct have always had no problem insuring him. Thankfully we have never had to claim for the condition or a related problem.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Apr 15, 9:43 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 15th Apr 15, 9:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 15, 9:43 PM
    We've always used Columbus, likewise never claimed but we have no trouble getting cover with them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Wortle
    • By Wortle 16th Apr 15, 11:48 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Wortle
    • 16th Apr 15, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 15, 11:48 AM
    Is this very new, as I was reading up on travel insurance yesterday and didnt spot it?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Apr 15, 12:55 PM
    • 9,091 Posts
    • 9,482 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Apr 15, 12:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 15, 12:55 PM
    Is this very new, as I was reading up on travel insurance yesterday and didnt spot it?
    Originally posted by Wortle
    The time/date of posting might give you a hint?
    • HoofeHearted
    • By HoofeHearted 17th Apr 15, 10:36 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    HoofeHearted
    • 17th Apr 15, 10:36 AM
    • 17th Apr 15, 10:36 AM
    We have used Columbus for several years now, and made a claim 18 months ago. My wife fell and broke her leg in Thailand.
    Columbus paid all medical bills (operation + 10days in hospital) and flew us home business class.

My wife declared her pre-existing conditions, thank goodness.

The issue of having 10 Million cover is sometimes required. Conditions of going on a cruise require you to have this amount of cover. Think this is to pay for evacuation by helicopter etc.

Insurance companies are now asking you to pay extra for "cruise cover". From what I can make out, this is to cover the cost of flying you to the next port of call, if you miss the ship.
  • Stressed traveller
    • 18th Apr 15, 10:49 AM
    • 18th Apr 15, 10:49 AM
    I've been trying to get cover for my husband who has cancer (though not having symptoms or treatment currently) AND is on medication for high blood pressure and is taking statins (like just about every other man of his age). I am looking for emergency medical cover for anything related to high blood pressure/high cholesterol - I'm not looking for cover for the cancer, which is unlikely to cause a sudden emergency, we're told. I have only found one insurer so far who will cover (all) the pre-existing conditions, and it is very expensive (several hundred pounds). The guide says "If cover is still unaffordable, the price may drop considerably if you ask insurers to exclude some, or all, of your pre-existing conditions". But I can't find any insurers who will cover some pre-existing conditions but not all - are there any?
    • Marie Williams
    • By Marie Williams 24th Apr 15, 5:53 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Marie Williams
    • 24th Apr 15, 5:53 PM
    Columbus quote
    • 24th Apr 15, 5:53 PM
    I was quoted 500 by this Company yesterday. I declared Underactive Thyroid, Diverticular problems, plus Sciatica. I have these conditions covered by another Company for 160.01.
  • JohnKeynsham
    • 5th May 15, 2:31 AM
    • 5th May 15, 2:31 AM
    I've just spent several hours keying in medical screening data to all the MSE recommended Comparison sites and the other recommended companies and these returned a best Annual cost of 202 with StaySure and a best Single Trip of 125 with Avanti for a similar cover profile.

I then also tried the company I insured with last year - Travel Insurance 4 Medical, and for a slightly better cover profile, the costs quoted online were 151 annual and 70 single trip.

Although my family's required cover profiles and medical screening profiles are likely to be unique, I would highly recommend others getting an online quote from Travel Insurance 4 Medical and comparing with other quotes
    Last edited by JohnKeynsham; 05-05-2015 at 2:36 AM. Reason: clarification
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 5th May 15, 11:51 AM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 320,804 Thanks
    DUKE
    I couldn't get insurance for worldwide, although they'd cover me for a single trip at an extortionate cost.

Columbus have just quoted us (a couple) 276.77, & will cover me for pre-existing, wordwide!

Do you mind if I take this over to the Macmillan forum Rebecca?

Thanks, that's brilliant
    Thanks everyone!
    • drphila
    • By drphila 10th May 15, 4:56 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    drphila
    About this new thread
    Thanks for creating a separate thread, Rebecca. This will be very useful to the many people who have muliple medical conditions and who have difficulty getting affordable insurance.

If I can make a constructive suggestion, it would be to mention companies who will cover multiple conditions but impose conditions. I'm thinking here of companies who will cover any combination of medical condition, such as Global Travel Insurance (higher excess and no cover for conditions diagnosed in last 12 months), Eurotunnel (stable condition) and Eta (no cover for conditions diagnosed in last 12 months).

For people like my wife with multiple serious conditions, this is often the only way to get cover at other than astronomical prices.

Phil
  • Scottie Pippin
    Holiday Insurance
    My partner has Parkinson's and we are going on a Hebridean Island Hopper coaching holiday. Any ideas on which insurance company I should be looking at?
    • wondermouse
    • By wondermouse 9th Jun 15, 11:28 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    wondermouse
    I'm a 51 year old man with type 2 diabetes, tablets for blood pressue and cholesterol.

Just tried a single trip european family policy with Staysure and it came to 53.78.

Only annoying thing that Staysure's site does is that I couldn't see anywhere for it to email or save the quote, it just goes straight on to the payment page!

Using that as a starting point, is it likely that I'll see much better than that if I do the usual multiple comparison sites etc?
    • carryonjulie
    • By carryonjulie 14th Jun 15, 4:46 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    carryonjulie
    I am going to Singapore with my daughter. I have an under active thyroid. I don't even know where to start with travel insurance.
    OMG Do I need a life laundry!
    • katejo
    • By katejo 14th Jun 15, 10:24 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    katejo
    I am going to Singapore with my daughter. I have an under active thyroid. I don't even know where to start with travel insurance.
    Originally posted by carryonjulie
    I don't think you will have a problem. I have the same but insurers haven't charged me any extra for that. I am with Insure and Go.
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 15th Jun 15, 5:17 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    I've just taken out a single trip (20 days in Europe) policy for my Father with Staysure for 20.

He's 80 and had prostate cancer treated successfully with radiotherapy over 10 years ago and bowel cancer which was surgically removed 3 years ago. He is also taking statins as recommended by his GP as a preventative measure. I phoned Staysure and was told to declare Cholesterol as a medical condition which seemed unfair but actually it didn't increase the premium.

I went through Topcashback and now have 35.35 showing in my account.
    • hjd
    • By hjd 15th Jun 15, 7:17 AM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 8,203 Thanks
    hjd
    I have various medical conditions but am currently also waiting for treatment. That causes problems with insurers. I have got insurance through AllClear. They check all insurers and give you a choice.
    It wasn't cheap but at least I am covered.
  • Thatch49
    I have an annual policy that covers me for pre-existing medical conditions. It expires at the end of September. I have a holiday booked in October. The MSE advice is to take out travel insurance asap but, unless I take out a single trip policy, I cannot do this can I ? Also, if something happens between now and September and I have to cancel am I covered or not , as the holiday is not until October.
    • carryonjulie
    • By carryonjulie 23rd Jun 15, 6:06 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    carryonjulie
    I don't think you will have a problem. I have the same but insurers haven't charged me any extra for that. I am with Insure and Go.
    Originally posted by katejo

Thank you. That puts my mind at rest.
    OMG Do I need a life laundry!
  • Thatch49
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure it really answers the question though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,320Users online

Martin's Twitter