Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th Apr 15, 8:18 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: EE customers without signal can have calls connected via wifi
    • 10th Apr 15, 8:18 AM
    MSE News: EE customers without signal can have calls connected via wifi 10th Apr 15 at 8:18 AM
    EE's new service automatically detects and uses a wifi connection to make and receive calls and texts...

Read the full story:

EE customers without signal can have calls connected via wifi

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 13-04-2015 at 2:40 PM.
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 10th Apr 15, 8:55 AM
    • 51,709 Posts
    • 21,932 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 10th Apr 15, 8:55 AM
    • 10th Apr 15, 8:55 AM
    "new service", not "news service"?

ETA: feel free to delete my post after editing yours.
    Last edited by grumbler; 10-04-2015 at 9:18 AM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 10th Apr 15, 10:02 AM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 10th Apr 15, 10:02 AM
    • 10th Apr 15, 10:02 AM
    Virgin's Smartcall app on the other hand, which is also available on both iPhones and Androids, can be used by any Virgin Media landline customer (regardless of which firm their mobile contract is with) to call any number that is allowed within your Virgin Phone talk plan.

Some of these do not include mobiles but Virgin says you will only be able to place a call if there's no extra charge, plus unlike the other apps, the calls come out of your landline allowance rather than your mobile allowance.
    BT offer this same feature ... via their SmartTalk app.

The difference with the EE offering is the option to auto-switch to using wifi. The others require you to dial using the apps - in some respects I think I prefer this, as it puts me in control and not my phone or the network.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 10th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 10th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    It would be interesting if you roam using BT-FON Wi-Fi when out and about.

Also, as you are calling a normal phone the other end, it should still count towards your inclusive minutes.
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 10th Apr 15, 12:54 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 151,770 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    • 10th Apr 15, 12:54 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 12:54 PM
    isnt it just certain phones though
    What goes around-comes around
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 10th Apr 15, 1:03 PM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:03 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:03 PM
    Originally posted by robbies_gal
    For the EE option - yes, for now. And perhaps also only EE branded ones. (I don't know whether EE put their own tweaked OS on the phones).
    • LizB62
    • By LizB62 10th Apr 15, 1:04 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 41,941 Thanks
    LizB62
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:04 PM
    Yes, currently iPhone 5C, 5S, 6 or 6 Plus
    And, from today, Samsung Galaxy S6 and S5

Other phones will be added - I'm sure they'll update the list here when more are available: http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling

Some older phones won't support WiFi Calling so not every phone will eventually be able to use it, however I'd guess that every new phone will e.g. the Nokia Lumia 640 will support it when it launches on EE (already out on other networks I believe?)
    • LizB62
    • By LizB62 10th Apr 15, 1:06 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 41,941 Thanks
    LizB62
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:06 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:06 PM
    For the EE option - yes, for now. And perhaps also only EE branded ones. (I don't know whether EE put their own tweaked OS on the phones).
    Originally posted by bod1467
    iPhones will be able to use WiFi Calling as they're not branded.

The Samsungs will need to have the EE version of Lollipop to be able to use WiFi Calling
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 10th Apr 15, 1:26 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 151,770 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:26 PM
    • 10th Apr 15, 1:26 PM
    cheers all

so if u get a phone say from CPW it wouldnt work
    What goes around-comes around
    • LizB62
    • By LizB62 10th Apr 15, 1:56 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 41,941 Thanks
    LizB62
    cheers all

so if u get a phone say from CPW it wouldnt work
    I'm guessing that if you got it on an EE contract via CPW it would be fine, but if you buy just the handset with no contract, that it won't (as they'll be from different sources, so will have different versions of Android on them).
    It might be that there is a way round it, however I'm no expert :-)
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 10th Apr 15, 3:37 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    If you have no signal at home with EE, ask for their Femtocell Signal Box device that plugs into your router. I've had it ever since T-Mobile and Orange merged...
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Apr 15, 9:31 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    d123
    BT offer this same feature ... via their SmartTalk app.
    Originally posted by bod1467
    The apps aren't really the same, they are an add on like Viber while the WifiCalling in the OP is a native built in service that just treats your wifi router as another network base station.

How do you receive calls with the BT service you mention?
    ====
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Apr 15, 8:35 AM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If you have no signal at home with EE, ask for their Femtocell Signal Box device that plugs into your router. I've had it ever since T-Mobile and Orange merged...
    Originally posted by m5rcc
    The signal box is no longer available from EE !!
    • kittykat17
    • By kittykat17 11th Apr 15, 5:11 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    kittykat17
    The signal box is no longer available from EE !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I don't know where you got that from but the signal (booster) box is definitely still available from EE!
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Apr 15, 7:28 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    d123
    I don't know where you got that from but the signal (booster) box is definitely still available from EE!
    Originally posted by kittykat17
    Not according to the EE site, he is correct about that (unless it is only being used as retention tool).

The Signal Box plugs into your broadband router and creates a link to our network to provide indoor coverage.

It works by providing 3G coverage with a range of about 15 metres, so anyone with access can make a call just as normal. Any customers on Orange, T-Mobile or EE can use the same box.

Signal Box is no longer available to purchase, but we’re working on new ways to help you stay connected in more places.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/checking-and-improving-your-network-coverage/signal-box
    ====
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Apr 15, 9:01 PM
    • 6,279 Posts
    • 20,599 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I would have thought that any rom that is compatible should be able to use the feature, it is just EE being controlling. I thought that it should be standard within Lollipop??
    I was thinking of moving to EE for wifi calling eventually but as my phone was bought sim free (One Plus One) it looks more dubious that i would ever be able to use it for wifi calling.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • simax
    • By simax 11th Apr 15, 9:44 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    simax
    Generic phones (except iPhone) won't support WiFi calling as the handset needs to have EE's IMS security profile on it.

So if you buy from CPW etc (unless iPhone) then it won't work.

Oh, and signal boxes should be available again from the beginning of May.
    Last edited by simax; 11-04-2015 at 9:46 PM.
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Apr 15, 11:02 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    d123
    I was thinking of moving to EE for wifi calling eventually but as my phone was bought sim free (One Plus One) it looks more dubious that i would ever be able to use it for wifi calling.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Why would you have thought a Chinese phone not sold or supported by any network or retailer in the UK would have been supported? I think it should always be expected that networks won't offer support for 'generic' Chinese phones.
    ====
    • baby frogmella
    • By baby frogmella 12th Apr 15, 7:55 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    baby frogmella
    EE Wifi calling works brilliantly on my iphone 6 - i've switched off the the GSM radio so am just on wifi at home and the battery lasts a bit longer as the phone isn't always looking for a 3G signal. I'm off to Hong Kong & NZ soon so hope to use EE wifi calling free of charge there using a UK vpn - i have the OpenVPN app running airvpn so hopefully that should fool EE into thinking i'm still in the UK
    Abu not too scared about this. Abu have original Goldeneys game on N64 so no need download it. Abu now go to google this Ben Dover man as Abu hear he make many film and if he so good that he make James Bond Movie then Abu sit down later with the missus and children and we will download more Ben Dover film and watch them as big family together.
    Originally posted by AbuLinconThe3rd
  • turtle-tortoise
    Will wifi calling work with BT Mobile which uses the EE network?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,140Posts Today

5,584Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin