Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 8th Jul 05, 6:54 AM
    Hi
    • 8th Jul 05, 6:54 AM
    Hi nabowla

Our normal brunches are full english breakfast, but sometimes venture further & healthier..lol

Sometimes I make up the thicker american style pancakes and serve with fresh strawberrys/raspberries/blueberrys and yogurt...yummy! Or do a large bowl of fresh fruit on the side so you can help yourself. Maybe make up some HM fresh rolls and offer butter, jams/preserves etc on the side too :confused: Or if serving pancakes-crisp up some bacon and serve with them and maple syrup

Fresh hot coffee is a must in our house. How about making some huge muffins to go with it.

So my choice would be:

American Pancakes with fresh berries & yogurt or crisped bacon/syrup
    HM Roll served with butter & preserves
    Fresh OJ
    HM Muffins
    Unlimited Supply of fresh coffee/Tea

Have a great time!

Penny-Pincher!!
    XXX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Jul 05, 7:31 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 8th Jul 05, 7:31 AM
    • 8th Jul 05, 7:31 AM
    ............scrambled eggs and smoked salmon? you can get small packs of smoked salmon shavings that aren't too costly.
    you could make smoothies or fresh juice to drink and serve fruit with the pancakes.
    • By 16011996 8th Jul 05, 8:13 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 8th Jul 05, 8:13 AM
    • 8th Jul 05, 8:13 AM
    for sat/sun brunch, i always hit the supermarket late today, they usually have croissants etc reduced to clear, and they freeze well. don't know if you have time, just an idea.
  • Lillibet
    • 8th Jul 05, 8:43 AM
    • 8th Jul 05, 8:43 AM
    American waffles (if you have a waffle iron) with honey, maple syrup or stewed fruit
    Pancakes with fruit or yogurt
    Beans on toast
    Poached eggs on potato waffles
    Plate of sausages & bacon & sliced tomatoes & rolls to fill yourself
    If it's a girly brunch bucks fizz always goes down well (and you can drink the leftover wine at dinner)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 8th Jul 05, 9:04 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 8th Jul 05, 9:04 AM
    • 8th Jul 05, 9:04 AM
    I love brunch - my girl friends and I often go out for brunch instead of dinner (often a cheaper option too!)

some of my favourites are:
    * fresh fruit - melon goes a long way chopped into small cubes. serve with some natural yohurt and museli/porridge oats
    * I love porridge - serve with some berries/honey/brown sugar for a special touch
    * pancakes with bacon and maple syrup (golden syrup works just as well)
    * eggs - scrambled, poached or boiled. Yum
    * french toast - serve with bacon for savoury or icing sugar and fruit for sweet
    * tea in a proper tea pot
    * cheap fruit juice (value range) watered down a little, poured into a big jug looks impressive, doesn't cost the earth but the crockery adds a sense of occassion.
    * muffins are great too.

Basically, cook what you are comfortable with/can afford and make the big effort with the presentation - i find that that can make the biggest difference. Your friend will feel special wahtever you serve up.

Can I come too...........?!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • nabowla
    • 8th Jul 05, 11:40 AM
    • 8th Jul 05, 11:40 AM
    Fantastic ideas - thanks to all! I've made up a shopping list based on the ideas here: I'll see what's reduced in the supermarket this evening and shop accordingly. I've set myself a limit of 10 for the whole meal, I've never planned a meal for friends in this way before but I think that setting a limit beforehand should prevent the massive overspend that usually occurs when I have friends round for a meal.

Funnily enough I hadn't thought about the presentation at all. However, I've got some lovely china in the cupboard (all given to me as presents - I'm an MSE girl, after all!). I'll dig it out this evening and set up the table really nicely for a change. I've even got a couple of pretty champagne glasses that have never been used so perhaps I'll do some bucks fizz (with Aussie sparkling wine or cava to keep the costs down).

Thank you everyone!
  • bugs
    • 8th Jul 05, 1:31 PM
    • 8th Jul 05, 1:31 PM
    On Delia's site she has a recipe for a dessert but as it is banana, yoghurt and sugar it would fit well for brunch. Basically I believe you slice bananas in to a glass dish/bowl (individual ones preferably), top with Greek yoghurt, and then sprinkle the top with soft dark brown sugar and leave overnight in the fridge. The sugar absorbs liquid from the yoghurt and becomes like a sauce. Not tried it but you probably can't go wrong.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Jul 05, 10:20 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 8th Jul 05, 10:20 PM
    • 8th Jul 05, 10:20 PM
    just wanted to give a nod of the head to you all for some lovely ideas :J
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Jul 05, 3:51 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Nabowla - what did you do?
    was it this ?
    and did you have a drink of or ?

Come on, we need to know

160 - nice to see you on the boards again I've missed you.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 12th Jul 05, 4:01 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I like smoked salmon and scrammbled egg on toast. We have this on christmas day morning with a bottle of champagne.
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 1st Feb 08, 7:16 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    Brunch
    We have friends staying over tomorrow night and I wanted to make brunch on Sunday morning. They don't eat meat and one is very health concious.

I was thinking of making
    • Scrambled eggs
    • Baked tomatoes
    • Sauteed mushrooms
    • A wholemeal seeded loaf in the breadmaker
    • Maybe a plate of smoked salmon with lemon wedges (extravagant but I suppose one small pack costs the same as sausages and bacon).
    Has anybody got any alternative ideas of what to make? I've seen some recipes for things like frittata and muffins, which I can't be bothered making
    • Jammygal
    • By Jammygal 1st Feb 08, 7:30 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    Jammygal
    Sounds like an excellent menu......what about some fruit as well......such as grapefruit, pineapple or melon....perhaps a large piece of fruit that can be cut up and that is best shared between a few
    • Zazen999
    • By Zazen999 1st Feb 08, 7:33 PM
    • 5,915 Posts
    • 9,151 Thanks
    Zazen999
    Personally I'd ditch the salmon and go with the others, add in some sauteed potatoes and lashings of hot tea.

Make the food with frylite and not oil, and it is pretty much as healthy as you can get.

Add the fruit as suggested and they can't really complain.

Good grief, i might have to make that lot myself on Sunday - what a great idea! Just need eggs...
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 1st Feb 08, 7:42 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Can I come too? SOunds great! I'm not too sure about fish for breakfast, although my ds and dh have kippers at the weekend sometimes.

Muffins aren't too much bother if you leave the wet in the fridge and the dry ready to go, the evening before.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 1st Feb 08, 7:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I'd never considered fish for breakfast (or brunch) before either.

Until the day a friend dished up scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast.

Wow!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    OH normally does a bubble & squeak which is delish with a fried egg and baked beans.

What about an omellette(sp) or fritata (sp)

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • Stephen Leak
    I'd never considered fish for breakfast (or brunch) before either.

Until the day a friend dished up scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast.

Wow!
    Originally posted by squeaky
    I was going to suggest that. On wholemeal toast, and with orange juice & coffee, its my usual "breakfast to impress", if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 01-02-2008 at 8:25 PM.
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 1st Feb 08, 8:27 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    I love kippers!!! Unfortunately I think they are an acquired taste so I'd be worried about serving them. Also, the smell hangs around forever.

Zazen999I was actually going to bake the tomatoes in the oven so its no oil whatsoever

Jammygal- Good call on the fruit. I'll get a melon or pineapple or whatever is cheapest in the supermarket.
  • champys
    If there are any children in the party, it is nice to have a little stack of pancakes somewhere among the brunch foods. It is fine if they are cold, and made the day before - can be eaten with fruit, jam, honey etc to balance out the savouries. The grown-ups love them too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,812Posts Today

7,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin