Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 25th Mar 15, 2:18 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade
    • 25th Mar 15, 2:18 PM
    MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade 25th Mar 15 at 2:18 PM
    An upgrade to Co-op Energy's computer system has left some unable to login to their account ...

Read the full story:

Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • PeterM54
    • By PeterM54 25th Mar 15, 3:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PeterM54
    • 25th Mar 15, 3:22 PM
    The Energy Market is BROKEN
    • 25th Mar 15, 3:22 PM
    I had horrendous problems because npower changed to a German SAP computer system. I eventually got some compensation from them and quit (going to Sainsbury's Energy).
    My girlfriend started getting identical problems with SSE who have just implemented a SAP system. She NEARLY went to the Coop, but when she realised their customer service was appalling, she pulled out of the deal and is now swopping to M&S Energy. Hopefully that might be OK.
    I read that SSE have been banned from advertising for new customers until they sort out their problems. Personally, I think the government needs to step in and impose SERIOUS personal fines on the directors of these companies for their incompetence.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 25th Mar 15, 3:48 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    • 25th Mar 15, 3:48 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 3:48 PM
    My girlfriend started getting identical problems with SSE who have just implemented a SAP system. She NEARLY went to the Coop, but when she realised their customer service was appalling, she pulled out of the deal and is now swopping to M&S Energy. Hopefully that might be OK.
    Originally posted by PeterM54
    We better not alert you or her to that thread about them.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 25th Mar 15, 4:05 PM
    • 19,847 Posts
    • 11,381 Thanks
    ACG
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:05 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:05 PM
    It wasnt that difficult to re-register. Its not straight forward but if you follow the steps and apply a little common sense I managed to get there... and im not the sharpest tool in the box. It took me less than 10 minutes.

People do not like change so you will always get some people who moan.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • gavrc
    • By gavrc 25th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    • 7,730 Posts
    • 826,657 Thanks
    gavrc
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    I was able to re-register, but not all steps were successful first time around. It worked properly the following day.
    To be fair to users, the change should have been transparent and data migrated at the back end. I don't know how much testing they did before hand with live users, but it wasn't enough. Not the end of the world though, it's worth it for the low rates.

gav
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions here. You are all stars.
    ---
    If you're new to comping with MSE, have a read of VelvetGlove's comping guide on the first page.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121
    It explains how to enter, search for, and post competitions in this forum.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 25th Mar 15, 4:32 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    dggar
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:32 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 4:32 PM
    I have been with CooP energy for a few years.

When submitting my meter reading this month I had to re register and found it a very long winded process. I had to go through it three times before it worked.

when submitting readings before the change a message would come up saying:-
    "using this reading the energy usage since the previous reading has been X kWhrs per day. The average use is Y kWhrs per day, do you wish to submit this reading."

I found this very useful but this feature seems to have been removed during the improvements.

The layout of the financial figures on the screen seems to have been designed to hide whether you are in credit.

It used to be very clear.
    • vm2pensioner
    • By vm2pensioner 25th Mar 15, 5:14 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    vm2pensioner
    • 25th Mar 15, 5:14 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 5:14 PM
    Have now, eventually, been able to re-register, but no account details, payments, etc. visible. Cannot give meter readings either.

"To expedite this, since the implementation of the new system we have had a dedicated UK-based team of people whose only role has been to help those customers experiencing problems."

Not much point in Coop statement quoted, if no one answers the dedicated help line!
    Last edited by vm2pensioner; 25-03-2015 at 5:17 PM.
    • priorslee
    • By priorslee 25th Mar 15, 7:28 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 633,824 Thanks
    priorslee
    • 25th Mar 15, 7:28 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 7:28 PM
    "Those who requested to switch to Co-op Energy between 5-12 March, have been emailed directly and explained the situation."

What about those who started the process in January??

Co-op Energy have started the DD, but haven't told me that the switch is complete. The old supplier has told me that the they have something saying that the switch happened on 22 Feb, but they haven't yet received closing readings, so I don't see how they think it can have switched.

Next two steps for me are cancelling the switch as per the MSE article and escalating the complaint that I've already made to the Ombudsman.

Their response to my complaint included this gem:
    "I am sorry to say that the report what was issued in June 2014 stating that switching suppliers should complete in 17 days? This has not happened in the industry due ti the complex nature of switching supplies from one supplier to another. The industry had aimed for 17 days, but this hasnít been met by a number of suppliers so the industry have delayed this."
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 25th Mar 15, 8:53 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    • 25th Mar 15, 8:53 PM
    • 25th Mar 15, 8:53 PM
    The omni-shambles at co-op seems to be continuing.

Even though I left them about a month ago and they haven't yet produced a final bill, today they decided to take money via the existing direct debit without any notice which was more than twice my previous regular payment and more than I owed.

When I rang up it turn out this was a system error, however they couldn't initially see the payment taken on their system. So it look like another issue with the new computer system.
  • goldenwonder1970
    I've given up with Coop after this shambles. I could not register after (11 so far) multiple attempts, they have simply failed to listen to what I have been telling them and are just continually sending me the same login information that doesn't work. Their system is a complete mess of bugs/errors and inconsistencies (even the password fields on the websites don't work!) and really hasn't been tested at any sort of level.

Ringing this 'dedicated' team is a waste of time, 25 minutes before they even answer and you get a disinterested person telling you that they will get someone to ring you back - which of course they don't.

So after being with them for 3 years, this last two weeks has shown how poor their customer service now is, and how bad their it testing procedures are! I'm off to a new supplier so don't really care whether they fix my account now or not.
    • vickssinex
    • By vickssinex 25th Mar 15, 11:21 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    vickssinex
    We had no contact from the Co-op after getting our welcome pack in early February. Yesterday I rang them to ask why no one had been in touch to get our first meter readings, and was told that they couldn't contact us because our details were locked in their old IT system!
    • canterswest
    • By canterswest 26th Mar 15, 6:49 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    canterswest
    MSE's promotion of switching, which it has a commercial interest in and makes millions in commission, is out of step with what actually happens to consumers that take its advice. Consumer detriment seems to far outweigh the savings that MSE advertises to persuade consumers to take out its money making offers.

Time for MSE to start paying its customers compensation if they have lost money taking its deals.
  • Icelady
    Co-op bungle
    Luckily was quick to notice yesterday that the Co-op had taken £94.23 from my bank account via DD. Main issue is I'd switched from them in May 2014 and had cancelled the DD. Their new system had somehow decided to reinstall the DD and had set itself up to carry on charging every month. Encourage all EX Co-op users to check their bank statements.
  • Optymystic
    Coop Energy IT Melt Down
    At the moment, as I write, the login back end is simply down, so you can't login!

Never mind that detail. When I did login earlier, what I found in my account was the same garbage as yesterday and it is real garbage featuring two different sets of figures for my account, one displaying on screen, the other in a pdf download. There are also fictitious payments imputed to my bank account. Coop enery purports to owe me £ 700 and £ 300 at the same time. I mean either not both and I suspect both are in fact false.

I haven't switched, I have been with coop Energy for years.
  • Optymystic
    My account shows spurious DD transfers. Were they taken from someone else's bank account?
    • robby2k9
    • By robby2k9 26th Mar 15, 12:08 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    robby2k9
    I registered via CEC on March 4th & have heard absolutely nothing, emailed co-op customer services last week but no reply so far. I'm now stuck as I have no idea what's happening with my application. The helpline is a joke, I just gave up after being on hold for ages no less than 3 times, even when I rang as soon as lines opened.
  • Lifeboat88
    Co-op IT Disaster
    Co-op Energy IT Disaster

Managed to re-register without too much trouble. Logged into new website, everything went downhill from there!

99% of the information on my account is wrong!

Called the helpline 2 weeks ago to be told "Ah yes I see the problem, your account data has not been migrated yet, give it a week and call us back if it is still incorrect".

Could not get an answer on helpline 1 week later, emailed and received a reply 5/6 days later giving the SAME incorrect data that was available on the website. The second email has not been answered.

You may expect this sort of incompetence for the BIG 6, but they charge less (for the most part).

What to do now - change supplier? Will this be jumping from the pan in to the fire?
    Last edited by Lifeboat88; 26-03-2015 at 1:20 PM.
    • alchemyal
    • By alchemyal 26th Mar 15, 3:00 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    alchemyal
    The level of customer service from the Coop at present is non existent.I applied for a dual fuel switch in Feb. Electricity appears to have been switched but not Gas.Cannot register or access account on line and no-one has answered my phone calls nor e-mails. No idea of current position.Even if the Coop were supplying energy free, my advice would be to avoid them like a plague at present.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 26th Mar 15, 5:21 PM
    • 35,765 Posts
    • 19,577 Thanks
    kingstreet
    I must be the only Co-op customer unaffected by all this.

Been with them since 2011.

Had my switch to "F&S" dealt-with accurately, even when I asked to be moved to "F&S 2", as it was better.

Got an email warning me about the website changes.

Went in the website and re-registered/enrolled when I could, post-change.

Entered meter readings last week with no problems.

Finding the bracketed figures for being in credit a little strange, but not completely overwhelming.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 26th Mar 15, 8:33 PM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 13,262 Thanks
    dori2o
    considering the issues I‘ve been having with them for the past 4 months I‘m really not suprised.

Phoned them in November to set up my DD for £130 with the first payment due 5 December. 5 December comes and no payment taken. I phone them and see whats happening and the DD hasn‘t been set up at all, so I set it up again at £130.

Get a letter 3 days later that they are increasing DD to £156 following a Direct Debit review. How exactly can they review something they‘ve never had?

I call again to make sure the payment will be £130 and I‘m assured that it will be. They have changed it back from the £156 to £130 and the next payment is 5 January 2015.

5 January comes and they have taken £156. I phone and ask whats gone on and they try and say I asked them to change it to £156.

After 45 minutes they finally agree they are in the wrong, they say they have updated the DD to £130 and the next payment date is 5 February, but they won‘t repay the £26 overpayment as I have a debit balance on the account. So I contact my bank and do a DD chargeback. I then pay £130 to Co-op using the payment card at the post office.

5 February comes along and they have taken £156 again. Another phone call, another snotty individual on the phone, another promise that the DD has been changed to £130, confirm the next payment is on 5 March and another phone call to the bank to do another DD chargeback. Again I go to the post office and pay £130 on the pyment card once I receive the money back from the DD.

5 March comes along and guess what, yep they‘ve taken £156 again. So again I call bank and do a DD recall and when money received back go to post office again and pay £130 via the payment card.

This time I email with a complaint demanding to be allowed to pay via standing order but without penalty of a higher standing charge. Also request £250 compensation due to stress, lost time, phone calls etc.

Told in no uncertain terms that if I want to change to standing order I have to pay the debit balance immediately and the standing charge will be increased which would cost approx another £50 a year.

I call, back down and set up the DD again for £130, threaten to take the issue to Ofgen etc and they give me £90 compensation as a good will gesture and have it in writing that the DD has been changed and will not change again, record updated so thatno DD reviews can take plce.

We shall see what 5 April brings, but if it still isn‘t right I‘m going to take this to another level.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter