Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nig3d
    • By nig3d 18th Mar 15, 1:10 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 9Thanks
    nig3d
    Veggie boxes
    • 18th Mar 15, 1:10 PM
    Veggie boxes 18th Mar 15 at 1:10 PM
    Hi,

where do you buy your veggie box from and how you find it?

I am waiting my first one from waysideorganics.co.uk
Page 1
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 18th Mar 15, 3:01 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 16,817 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 18th Mar 15, 3:01 PM
    • 18th Mar 15, 3:01 PM
    I get mine from Parsnips and pears ,very good quality and excellent service.
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones there’s a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 18th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    • 18th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    • 18th Mar 15, 4:25 PM
    5 a day box. I can change up to 8 items, and I find it great value. Especially the soup/smoothie boxes, they're cheaper because they say its blemished fruit/ veg, but its mostly perfect from what I see.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 18th Mar 15, 5:41 PM
    • 13,743 Posts
    • 42,987 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 18th Mar 15, 5:41 PM
    • 18th Mar 15, 5:41 PM
    I get mine from my garden
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Taplledraw
    • By Taplledraw 19th Mar 15, 1:06 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Taplledraw
    • 19th Mar 15, 1:06 AM
    • 19th Mar 15, 1:06 AM
    I get mine from Riverford organics. You can chose from various different boxes and can alter what you get every week if you want or cancel if you havn't eaten the weeks before up. It keeps well and you get a little recipe leaflet with it each week. They even got through to us in the Somerset Floods and donated fruit and veg to those flooded out.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 19th Mar 15, 10:27 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 19th Mar 15, 10:27 AM
    • 19th Mar 15, 10:27 AM
    The local greengrocer does them - they will deliver same/next day with free delivery, the fruit and veg is all great and it's cheaper than Abel & Cole, Riverford etc. I like to support local businesses but I would get the bigger companies if they were better... but they aren't.
    • rockm87
    • By rockm87 20th Mar 15, 3:30 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    rockm87
    • 20th Mar 15, 3:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 15, 3:30 PM
    I use a local supplier (seasons fruit & Veg), they post receipes etc on their facebook page, and you can request certain things, (e.g. more fruit, no potatoes etc). its really good, fresh, last ages, and I get a box a fortnight for £7.50 (just for me really, DH doesnt eat veg!). Gets left on my doorstep, and I pay by direct debt (so easy)

...and the cats like to sit in the box once the veg has been put away!
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017

Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
    • Trazy
    • By Trazy 21st Mar 15, 8:36 AM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 7,560 Thanks
    Trazy
    • 21st Mar 15, 8:36 AM
    • 21st Mar 15, 8:36 AM
    I tried Abel and cole and was very disappointed with the quality and quantity.
    Now I use local supplier, much better
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain

Nappies and government ministers need to be changed frequently and for the same reason
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 21st Mar 15, 7:45 PM
    • 8,389 Posts
    • 18,191 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 21st Mar 15, 7:45 PM
    • 21st Mar 15, 7:45 PM
    I use Riverford, but they are quite pricey. There don't seem to be many local schemes near me, but I like the look of 5aday. It looks like I would get a lot more for my money, even with the delivery charge. I might try them instead.

Thanks littlegreenparrot, I hadn't heard of them before.
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 24th Mar 15, 5:13 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    They're very good, customer service is always very prompt and helpful.

They're local to me so there isn't a delivery charge, just a minimum order. One of the things I like is that I'm supporting a local business.

They seem cheaper than many of the others as well.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 24th Mar 15, 5:51 PM
    • 8,389 Posts
    • 18,191 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I'm in Merseyside, so there is a delivery charge of £1.50. You seem to get a lot more for your money though. I think it's worth a try. Thanks for the information.
    • janiebquick
    • By janiebquick 24th Mar 15, 7:06 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    janiebquick
    I've had a few. Three were local organic farms. Then, when the last one stopped delivering to my area, I used Riverford for a while. At the moment, I'm just popping to the local greengrocer as and when.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
    • square-pants
    • By square-pants 21st Apr 15, 11:23 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    square-pants
    I've used a local company called Vegbocs (www.vegbocs.com) for 6 months now. Never going back to supermarket veg!
  • Edwardia
    Sometimes I get a small box from Ocado with my delivery, depending on contents, because I get 10% off with a Smartpass.

I buy more exotic organic fruit & veg from Abel & Cole, (but not as a box) and everyday stuff from Sainsbury's or Ocado - I check the offers.

Lidl, ASDA, Morrisons and Aldi locally do have some organic stuff but not enough for me to be able to shop there every week.

Despite having a Tesco Extra here and another close to my mother, I find that they don't have much organic veg either.

Sainsbury's seems to have really increased their range of organic food and Waitrose has quite a bit as well.

There's only the two of us, so a veg box might be more economical for families ?

I would recommend Abel & Cole, Riverford and Ocado veg and of the other supermarkets I think ASDA does really good quality for the price.
    • blissfulbabe
    • By blissfulbabe 1st May 15, 8:53 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    blissfulbabe
    I've started using 5 a day (on the recommendation of a poster on a different thread) - I highly recommend them as, if you order the large box, you get loads - one big banana box and a second, slightly smaller box, with 20 different fruit and veggies. There are three of us and I use a lot of veggies but a large box lasts two weeks for veggies and a little less for fruit.

Another plus is that I visit the supermarket a lot less so I'm not only saving money on fruit and veg, I've reduced the amount I spend on impluse buys.
    Don't judge people on they way they look, the way they speak or what they're called because they can't help that.

Only judge people on what they say and what they do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter