Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 6th Mar 15, 10:50 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Motorists to be given 10 minute leeway when parking tickets run out
    • 6th Mar 15, 10:50 AM
    MSE News: Motorists to be given 10 minute leeway when parking tickets run out 6th Mar 15 at 10:50 AM
    A change in the law is planned to take effect in the next few weeks which will see the leeway applied to council parking...

Read the full story:

Motorists to be given 10 minute leeway when parking tickets run out

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • BenefitMaster
    • 6th Mar 15, 12:02 PM
    And this has to do with PRIVATE parking what, exactly?

Another MSE staffer proving that they have NO CONCEPT of what their forums are about...
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 6th Mar 15, 12:02 PM
    • 46,695 Posts
    • 7,172,488 Thanks
    One-Eye
    Old parking charges:
    up to 1 hour: £2.00
    up to 2 hours: £4.00
    up to 4 hours: £6.00

New parking charges:
    up to 50 minutes: £2.00
    up to 1 hour 50 minutes: £4.00
    up to 3 hours 50 minutes: £6.00

Eric Pickles is soon to introduce chocolate fireguards.
    Last edited by One-Eye; 06-03-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    • TDA
    • By TDA 6th Mar 15, 12:35 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    TDA
    • 6th Mar 15, 12:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 12:35 PM

Another MSE staffer proving that they have NO CONCEPT of what their forums are about...
    Originally posted by BenefitMaster
    The forum is called Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Mar 15, 12:52 PM
    • 9,692 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 6th Mar 15, 12:52 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 12:52 PM
    Exactly; people have problems with council tickets too, and a 10-min council ruling might set a precedent in private parking world instead of "reasonable".
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Mar 15, 2:00 PM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,218 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:00 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:00 PM

No. This forum is for parking tickets!

[Text removed by Forum team]
    Last edited by Former MSE Megan; 06-03-2015 at 3:06 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    • 7,118 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:03 PM
    Bingo! And in under 2 hours too.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 6th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 8,907 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:04 PM
    As a quid pro quo, perhaps we now need zero tolerance to illegal parking, parking in bike lanes, etc.?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 6th Mar 15, 2:25 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 15, 2:25 PM
    What about some kind of reverse Uber, let's call it Unter.

With Uber, you call for a minicab/taxi, as we all know.
    What if I book a driver to drive MY CAR?

Obviously everyone involved has SatNav, mobile phone etc.

The Unter website needs to offer some driver vetting and insurance against theft etc. Ideally, the cars should have some kind of Tracker fitted.

There can be several modes of operation.

Mode 1
    ______

I just need to park for 30 minutes or so, for a chiropractor appointment, which can be 30 to 75 minutes. When I set off, I use the Unter App to book a driver to meet me somewhere, which probably involves me picking him up along the way. We drive to the chiropractor, the driver drives off, making use of short term free parking (e.g. McDonalds) where possible. When my appointment is about to end, I signal using the Unter App, and the driver comes back to pick me up. I then drop him off. We both signal the hire is finished, maybe do a quick survey of how it went. Record milage?

Mode 2
    ______

A booking of several hours, and I simply need a chauffeur, who may be needed to help with some lifting. It's a variation on "man with a Van".

Mode 3
    ______

I go somewhere sober, with a car, but end up blank drunk.
    Need somebody sober to get me and the car home, and NOT ROB ME.

Obviously there's need for women drivers for women customers etc. Hmm, if I refuse a Lesbian driver, is that sexist or homophobic?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Mar 15, 2:31 PM
    • 9,692 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Mode 3 exists, you can get bike drivers that'll come and drive your car home.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 6th Mar 15, 2:53 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Mode 3 exists, you can get bike drivers that'll come and drive your car home.
    Originally posted by Herzlos

Who's been watching old episodes of Top Gear on Dave, then?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Mar 15, 2:56 PM
    • 13,446 Posts
    • 13,793 Thanks
    The Deep
    continue attacking me and I'll simply report your abuse until you get PPR'd

He is not attacking you, he is just venturing an opinion that the OP has a modicum of validity, a view with which I am inclined to agree.

Some time ago you threatened to leave, what made you change your mind?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • bondy lad
    • By bondy lad 6th Mar 15, 3:49 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bondy lad
    ok,good news then,but the media should have finished their report with,,,"this in no way refers to parking on private land "so in effect all that will happen is for the likes of parking eye and excell et al,,will have a field day as a result of this decision and nobble every poor innocent who believes they can now park for an extra 10 minutes,,the memos will be out like grease lightening from them to their "car park attendants" to milk this decision untill the cow is well and truely dry and their "commision" goes through the roof.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Mar 15, 4:48 PM
    • 23,707 Posts
    • 37,903 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Hello bondy, haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back.

Are you still keeping a close eye on the Peel Centre and our good friends Excel?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • bondy lad
    • By bondy lad 6th Mar 15, 5:06 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bondy lad
    Hello bondy, haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back.

Are you still keeping a close eye on the Peel Centre and our good friends Excel?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas

absolutely,in fact i will be there in about 20 minutes from now preaching,,the amount of folk they catch with that anpr system is disgracefull,my mission tonight,,is simple,,,the extra 10 minutes DOES NOT apply here in the peel centre,the staff of you know who despise me.
  • im-lost

where does it say this board is solely for private parking?
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 6th Mar 15, 5:37 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    back on track...
    it would be nice if pressure can be brought to bear now on PPC's to follow

like VCS roundabout cam van

CCTV camera cars that automatically issue parking fines are to be made illegal, except in sensitive areas such as near schools and in bus lanes.

and any one of a dozen PPC's

There will be an end to fines at out-of-order parking meters when there is no alternative way to pay.

Perhaps forum advice could now add ....

when complaining, it may be worth linking to this law change

Ralph
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 6th Mar 15, 6:02 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    The guy obviously thinks he is another member of the MSE forum police
    Originally posted by catoninetails
    Wow, you really need to up your smear campaign regime. Decidedly amateur at the moment. Just like your industry really.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
    • beeg0d
    • By beeg0d 9th Mar 15, 5:59 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    beeg0d
    I can see these rules backfireing in areas where councils already act resonably. In my area the wardens already give an (unofficial) 20 minuite grace preiod. Also as long as you begin the appeal within the initial 14 days they still allow you to keep your 50% discount if you fail.

I can see them alliging their policys with these rules once there in force.
    • ianmac55
    • By ianmac55 9th Mar 15, 9:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ianmac55
    Pickles first minister in history to encourage illegality
    So Eric Pickles encourages people to park cars illegally for ten minutes. Must be the first minister in modern history to encourage illegality.

And people will now be indignant that they were "only" eleven minutes late when they receive a ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,377Posts Today

8,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin